What the police man said...

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by youngbuck, Feb 22, 2010.

1. youngbuck

youngbuck He's Tyrone!

I have read a good way to get ideas about ammo is to ask local police what they like to carry. So I just happened to have a chance to ask a local officer recently and he told me he just uses hollowpoints. When I asked what kind his response was he didnt know what they were. He said they werent department issued so it made me wonder how could he not know? He then asked what kind of guns I had and I mentioned my g23 and he said he hates them since they have no external safety (he carried a colt .45 is all he said). He then claimed that any agency issuing glocks would basically be dumb and would have a fair amount of misfires.

Since I am a newb I was unprepared to explain the glock's saftey mechanisms and I asked the question if he ever knew of any officer that had to draw their weapon and forgot to disengage the safety.

My question is how would you have handled this situation with intelligent responses? I have no need to be disrespectful towards the man just want to be better informed for next time

2. boomhower

boomhower

From the sounds of the conversation I would have just let it go. He was obviously set in his ways and not open for debate.

I see nothing wrong with duty weapons with safeties. A properly trained officer will never have an issue with it, it will be muscle memory. Again there is nothing wrong with having no external safety. Your safety is your brain and finger. We carry Glocks and I would not want to change to a different firearm with an external safety because then I would be worried about not disengaging after so much time not having one.

3. duckintheface

duckintheface

We tend to think of police officers as agents of force, since they are the people who have a presumption of being armed and can legally use armed force in situations where the rest of us could not.

But I have learned that most policemen are social workers first and soldiers second. While the use of armed force is critical when it occurs, there are many officers who have never fired a round with the intent to hit someone. The result is that many officers pay little attention to their weapon or ammo. It's just a tool you qualify with once or twice a year. Other than that, it sits in your holster.

4. The Hawk

The Hawk

I would have politely thanked him for his answer and then left.
    Obviously he is not an expert on firearms. I realize that most folks think the police know a lot about the equipment they use but the reality is that some of them just do not know that much about some of the items they use. For example, even though most police are issued a crown vic police interceptor, there are many officers that do not know a lot about their vehicles. That does not make them poor officers, just like the officer that knows a lot about the vehicle is not always a better officer.
    I am a retired firearms instructor and have seen officers that did not care to know any more about their issued .40 Glock or the ammo issued to them other than the basic function of the weapon. They did not enjoy going to the range even though some of them were excellent shots.
    You just happened upon an officer that uses what he has and is happy with that.
    By the way, our agency issued 180 grain jacketed hollow points for our .40 Glocks.

5. IANative

IANative

Methinks the officer's response makes an intelligent response irrelevant. The fact that he didn't know what ammunition he carried was your first clue.

Become intimately familiar with your G23- she won't let you down. But buy another one just for peace of mind. :D

6. desert gator

desert gator Glockaholic

These are all great answers that hit the nail right on the head. I am getting my criminal justice degree right now, and I have many friends and relatives who are already in law enforcement. I quickly learned that being L.E. does not = being intrested in guns. I have some l.e. friends who although they carry a glock or a sig they couldnt tell you what the different models are by these makers other than the one that they carry. Many of them would have no interest at all to go with me on a saturday or sunday afternoon to the range. Guns just arent their thing.

7. Eagle22

Eagle22

I agree. Let it go

8. 9mmXRAY

9mmXRAY IDPA MW2 GSSF

The first saftey of any device used for destruction is your brain. However the Safe Action System in a glock prevents the weapon from firing unless enough backwards force is applied to the trigger.

The Drop saftey keeps the striker from moving forward and pressing the trigger releases the drop safety... and cocks the striker through the full motion of squeezing the trigger.

Unlike his Colt .45 which when its loaded with a bullet its cocked and can fire even with the hammer down/safety on.

Then I also know a few Cops who do not believe chambering the same round over and over is a problem and I know others who have almost been killed due to the fact they used to stack already chambered ammo back into their carry mags over and over... 2 by 2...

I'll assume by misfire you mean a discharge of the firearm when it was not required.

Also in Orlando the other day some NRA trainer shot a student in the foot... I dunno why yet... but its still bad news... and it doesnt even matter what kind of pistol it was or what caused it to go off.

Its still a ND "Negligent Discharge" because he had ammo in a classroom setting.

IMO 9 times out of 10 a ND or AD discharge resulting in death or injury is operator/owner error.

There is times when the ND or AC is completely out of anyone hands and is what some would call "Act of god"

Look closer and I'm sure you'll find somebody made a mistake somewhere.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  9. ricky_arthur

ricky_arthur

I had a similar situation a few weeks ago. A few friends of mine were in the parking lot of my restaurant. One of them was looking at an AR-15 in 6.8 and an officer drove by and saw the weapon and pulled into the lot. After assuring himself there wasn't a crime of some sort in progress he stayed for a few minutes and joined in the Gun related conversation that was on going. During the course of which he showed us his Colt AR-15 and we asked him enough questions to find out he knew very little about any of his duty weapons:shocked:. Including what type of ammo he shot in any of them. :faint:He just kept saying it was what they gave him to shoot. He was a very nice guy but I was suprised at his ignorance on subjects most would assume he would be expert on.

Ricky

10. Aces and 8s

Aces and 8s Dead Mans Hand

Sounds like he doesnt have a clue what he is talking about.

Hell, I dont even consider myself very savvy and I can tell you that whoever you spoke with is a one dimensional idiot sucking on the sack of his superiors feeding him the BS he has "learned".

11. Baba Louie

Baba Louie

12. 9mmXRAY

9mmXRAY IDPA MW2 GSSF

Yeah it confuses me as well... but I guess some just use it as a tool... but that confuses me also because I know every detail about all of my tools and I'm just a Telecom engineer.

13. eb07

eb07 Sharkin'

20+ years in LE and I have learned one lesson, do not ask a police officer for any advice regarding firearms :rofl:

14. fuzzy03cls

fuzzy03cls

Yep not a good idea. My experience is similar.

15. hyJOEstatic SHOCK

hyJOEstatic SHOCK

I have friends in LE & I find this is a common response. Some times they do know, but then they become total marks to what they are issued.

16. tshadow6

tshadow6

Contrary to what most people think, most cops are not "gun" people. There are members of my own agency that resent the fact they have to qualify once a year with their weapon. "Shooting is just too much of a bother." I hear that quite a lot. Honestly, if cops were not required to carry a weapon on duty, I think most would not.

17. Jeff82

Jeff82 NRA Benefactor CLM

You're lucky if they know anything about firearms law...

18. viniglock

viniglock

IBTL

LE is a job not a career.
    Scary things out there.

19. coqui33

coqui33 NRA Instructor

During a break in a citizens' academy class, I asked a deputy what ammunition he used in his G-22. He said that he had no idea, but then he unholstered the weapon, pulled the magazine, popped out a round and handed it to me. I looked at it, thanked him, and handed it back. It was a Speer gold dot. I thought it interesting that he neither knew nor cared, but was still nice enough to get the answer for me.

20. GQMedic

GQMedic Oh no, they're after me nuts!

OP,

I carry Winchester Ranger SXTs