Glock Talk banner

What the hell is LEOSA?

2546 Views 75 Replies 25 Participants Last post by  exfed2001
I am retired from the job from the East Coast. Moved to Texas about 2.5 years ago. Love it here. I got pulled over last night coming home from Houston. I was speeding, not going to lie. I got pulled over by a Deputy Constable. Nice guy, a little older. He asked if I was carrying and I said yes. I accidentally handed him my LEOSA creds instead of my retired creds. He looked at it, looked at me, looked at it again and said "What the hell is LEOSA?". I had to explain it to him. No ticket, was on my way. Never heard of a cop not aware of LEOSA.
61 - 76 of 76 Posts

· Registered
1,062 Posts
Another reason I don’t want to get a license to carry here in Texas is it puts me into the system. I want to remain anonymous when I retire again. If I’m stopped, I don’t want any drama when an uptight officer hears over the radio I have an LTC. Better if he asks during his investigation.
This. I'm a CWP instructor and don't have my CWP (can't self certify, but I won't get it anyway), and a few of my local retired/LEOSA-covered friends have gotten their CWPs through me, repeating the same mantra 'might as well have that, in addition to LEOSA as redundancy', but I just don't see it. In addition to above, they've also burdened themselves w.other CWP constraints.

Reactions: Ftttu

· Registered
10,627 Posts
I never wanted a State issued Concealed permit.

I could see some Dick DA deciding you were carrying outside the scope of your concealed carry permit. Ignoring the fact that you were legally carrying under LEOSA.

I’d think federal law would take precedence.

Yet, states still come up with their own laws. Hawaii for example, requires a visiting Peace Officer to register with the PD if they will be in the Islands for more than five days.

· Registered
1,062 Posts

I could see some Dick DA deciding you were carrying outside the scope of your concealed carry permit. Ignoring the fact that you were legally carrying under LEOSA.

Yet, states still come up with their own laws. Hawaii for example, requires a visiting Peace Officer to register with the PD if they will be in the Islands for more than five days.
(Re: those silly states' LEOSA-ignorance)
Forehead Face Outerwear Facial expression Coat

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·

NYC does the same thing, although not many people "check in at Precincts".

· Registered
10,627 Posts
“The Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act (LEOSA) is a federal statute which allows qualified active and retired law enforcement officers to carry a concealed firearm in the State of Hawaii IF requirements of LEOSA and State of Hawaii laws are met.”

Gotta appreciate their “IF” in there…

“It is important to note that 18 USC §926B does not supercede Hawaii’s firearms laws.”

· Registered
14,442 Posts
NYC does the same thing, although not many people "check in at Precincts".
Huh? NYC does not require one check in for LEOSA like Hawaii does. Not even under the new CCIA law. Furthermore, even Hawaii’s check in is actually a violation of LEOSA. LEOSA makes one immune from state carry laws if one carries in the constraints of the LEOSA provisions. Hawaii can go pound sand if I wanted to carry there. I won’t carry there because I would want to drink on such a vacation .

· Registered
14,442 Posts
“The Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act (LEOSA) is a federal statute which allows qualified active and retired law enforcement officers to carry a concealed firearm in the State of Hawaii IF requirements of LEOSA and State of Hawaii laws are met.”

“It is important to note that 18 USC §926B does not supercede Hawaii’s firearms laws.”

The federal law says:
(a) Notwithstanding any other provision of the law of any State or any political subdivision thereof, an individual who is a qualified law enforcement officer and who is carrying the identification required by subsection (d) may carry a concealed firearm that has been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce, subject to subsection (b).

“Notwithstanding “ means the state law is moot or the dictionary quote of: “in spite of; without being opposed or prevented by:
Notwithstanding a brilliant defense, he was found guilty. She went to the game anyway, doctor's orders notwithstanding”

Hawaii is limited into its control over LEOSA carry. One was to define what is intox as regard to carrying a firearm to any alcohol. Other part goes to their own state requirements for their resident retired LEO to qualify for it.
And third is what is allowed on state/local property .
Anything else is an violation of LEOSA if the carrier is within the confines of the federal law

· Registered
6,773 Posts

Reactions: steveksux

· Massive Member
27,270 Posts

Is the AG in Hawaii even a lawyer? He might as well put "And if your Aunt had balls she'd be your Uncle" in there too.

Whole point of LEOSA is to exempt you from most state restrictions, including those exactly like that one.

Randy

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

· Registered
14,442 Posts
Is the AG in Hawaii even a lawyer? He might as well put "And if your Aunt had balls she'd be your Uncle" in there too.

Whole point of LEOSA is to exempt you from most state restrictions, including those exactly like that one.

Randy

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
Yep. New Jersey just got slapped down for trying to tell its retired cops with LEOSA that they couldn’t carry hollowpoints despite LEOSA’s exemption to it.

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Huh? NYC does not require one check in for LEOSA like Hawaii does. Not even under the new CCIA law. Furthermore, even Hawaii’s check in is actually a violation of LEOSA. LEOSA makes one immune from state carry laws if one carries in the constraints of the LEOSA provisions. Hawaii can go pound sand if I wanted to carry there. I won’t carry there because I would want to drink on such a vacation .
I never stated that. Active Police Officers are required to check in if carrying in NYC. I worked in a neighboring state and my little cousin is an NYPD Captain. It was pretty common to have to check into a Precinct (most don't).

· Registered
14,442 Posts
I never stated that. Active Police Officers are required to check in if carrying in NYC. I worked in a neighboring state and my little cousin is an NYPD Captain. It was pretty common to have to check into a Precinct (most don't).
Negative. I was NYPD. No one has ever just gone to an NYPD precinct just to check in( active or retired) for LEOSA.
I think you are getting it mixed up with checking in a gun ( having the precinct hold their gun ) so one go see a Broadway show or go to Madison square garden who use metal detectors . That we did do. We did that for active NY officers too.

61 - 76 of 76 Posts