Glock Talk banner

What the hell is LEOSA?

2546 Views 75 Replies 25 Participants Last post by  exfed2001
I am retired from the job from the East Coast. Moved to Texas about 2.5 years ago. Love it here. I got pulled over last night coming home from Houston. I was speeding, not going to lie. I got pulled over by a Deputy Constable. Nice guy, a little older. He asked if I was carrying and I said yes. I accidentally handed him my LEOSA creds instead of my retired creds. He looked at it, looked at me, looked at it again and said "What the hell is LEOSA?". I had to explain it to him. No ticket, was on my way. Never heard of a cop not aware of LEOSA.
21 - 40 of 76 Posts

· Registered
6,730 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't each county have a Sheriff's Office and an elected Constable? Kind of duplicative?
That would be like saying there is no need for state troopers since local LE conduct traffic stops and work accidents, etc. Constables have duties like bailiff for county justice of the peace courts, carry out evictions, serve warrants out of their JP’s court, and serve civil papers among other duties they may want to take on. We have two constables in my county, and one just does his constitutional duties while the other took on environmental crimes. Some contract for patrol services like in Houston, they have mental health units in some counties, some do mounted and bike patrol, etc etc. Again, they are just part of local Texas LE.

· Registered
393 Posts
I don't know, I retire in about .45 days, I started all the LEOSA on line stuff, have a date scheduled this spring to qualify, but do I really need it? An Indiana LTCH is about all a guy like me needs, as I don't plan on any vacation trips to non reciprocal states.
Should you want to travel out of state, you are good for one year after the date you retire. In NYC, they put your retirement date on the back of your retired ID card, makes it easy.

· Registered
393 Posts
What cards are they showing?

You are allowed to use retired creds or the ID card, which does have a photo. Always has.
The early HR218/LEOSA cards my Fed co-workers had, didn’t have photos. We discussed it over and over and the rational was, it was easier to carry that card and your qualificatio card than their Credentials which also in some cases had their badge attached. Even without the badge, most retired Fed Crees are HUGE, compared to retired or active for that matter, real police ID’s

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
That would be like saying there is no need for state troopers since local LE conduct traffic stops and work accidents, etc. Constables have duties like bailiff for county justice of the peace courts, carry out evictions, serve warrants out of their JP’s court, and serve civil papers among other duties they may want to take on. We have two constables in my county, and one just does his constitutional duties while the other took on environmental crimes. Some contract for patrol services like in Houston, they have mental health units in some counties, some do mounted and bike patrol, etc etc. Again, they are just part of local Texas LE.
I was just curious. As I stated earlier, Constables where I come from don't have LE duties.

· Registered
14,442 Posts
I don't know, I retire in about .45 days, I started all the LEOSA on line stuff, have a date scheduled this spring to qualify, but do I really need it? An Indiana LTCH is about all a guy like me needs, as I don't plan on any vacation trips to non reciprocal states.
The answer is yes. It’s an extra layer of protection. With LEOSA and a permit, you are essentially immune to a lot of the restrictions that permit holders have. I did a quick check on Indiana laws and you guys don’t seem to have a lot of restrictions anyway but you can see how fast that can change.
Besides, you never know when you might have to take an emergency trip somewhere to help family or the wife booked a vacation somewhere .

· Registered
14,442 Posts
The early HR218/LEOSA cards my Fed co-workers had, didn’t have photos. We discussed it over and over and the rational was, it was easier to carry that card and your qualificatio card than their Credentials which also in some cases had their badge attached. Even without the badge, most retired Fed Crees are HUGE, compared to retired or active for that matter, real police ID’s
The problem with that is that LEOSA required photographic ID issued by your particular agency. No photo, no good .

· Registered
7,453 Posts
I would enjoy no benefit from a permit, in any state, now or in retirement. LEOSA, for that matter, won’t do anything for me until I retire.

If I got sideways with my agency, then a permit might be useful.

· Registered
10,627 Posts
If you handed me LEOSA creds, I would have no idea what they are either. I’ve never seen one. Can you block out pertinent details and post a pic?

Show me your retired, department issued ID card. That I would understand.

Nevada has some weirdness where I have qualify here. At a private business. Then carry that to the sheriff. Along with a “good guy letter”. That my agency doesn’t seem to even know exists. (Nor do I). My ID says “Honorably retired Peace Officer.” But, apparently, that’s not enough.

I just go back to Texas once a year and qualify at my old department.

· Registered
6,730 Posts
I asked a lieutenant buddy of mine who is intelligent, and he told me he didn't know. He immediately recalled when I began explaining it. I had others captive at lunch, but we got scattered by being called away. I will asked again after I'm back.

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
If you handed me LEOSA creds, I would have no idea what they are either. I’ve never seen one. Can you block out pertinent details and post a pic?

Show me your retired, department issued ID card. That I would understand.

Nevada has some weirdness where I have qualify here. At a private business. Then carry that to the sheriff. Along with a “good guy letter”. That my agency doesn’t seem to even know exists. (Nor do I). My ID says “Honorably retired Peace Officer.” But, apparently, that’s not enough.

I just go back to Texas once a year and qualify at my old department.
I'd rather not post credentials on an internet forum lol. Every state does it differently but it's pretty much the same thing. My retired ID says the same thing. "Honorably Retired" and on the back it says Leosa eligible.

· Florist
23,368 Posts
Yes, absolutely you should get a LEOSA in addition to your LTCH. You never know if you need to travel somewhere unexpectedly.

As to your upcoming scheduled LEOSA qualification shoot, first ask your agency if it will provide an initial LEOSA qual/shoot card. For example, where I was at, upon retirement (Sept 2020) they gave me a retired ID and a LEOSA qual/shoot card that said my last agency shoot/qualification was on June XX of 2020 with a G19 and a G26 and that the LEOSA shoot card was good for 1 year from date of last qualification. In June of 2021 I re-qualified the LEOSA shoot. In June of 2022 I re-qualified again, etc...

· Registered
393 Posts
My issue is #00010 and it has my photo.
Where did you retire from? Their cards were issued very late 2008-2009. Several were legacy Customs, then ICE/HSI. I didn’t pay too much attention, but I know at some point they got new ones. Did yours have an expiration date, not that it matters, as the retired Credentials are really the proper ID required by the statue, along with current Qual, but you know that…

· Registered
233 Posts
I don't know much about Constables in Texas. Where I come from, it's a suck ass political appointment, they don't carry and it's like civil process. Here from what I see they do car stops etc.
In the PDRNJ it's pretty much the same way.

HOWEVER, prior to the revamp of the NJ criminal code in 1978, Constables were statutorily authorized to carry firearms. So you can pretty much guess why they changed the law......................

· Registered
108 Posts
Texas deputy constables have to meet the same peace officer licensing requirements as city police and deputy sheriffs. In the county where I work, there’s over a thousand deputy constables. They have patrol, investigations, K-9s, etc. It’s a totally different arrangement than most other states.

· Registered
233 Posts
Where did you retire from? Their cards were issued very late 2008-2009.
INS.

I was following the issuance of these cards with the folks involved for a few years before they finally issued them (maybe that's why I got #10). They did a really good job. They compiled a database of all the retirees, and it was so good that a friend who had retired in the mid-90's and who lost all of his SF-52's was able to get a card in very short order about 20 years later.

The first issued series cards had no expiration, then they went to one year cards and a Lautenberg certification. In about 2020, they did away with expiration dates and the paperwork.

· Beretta 92 Nut!
7,534 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't each county have a Sheriff's Office and an elected Constable? Kind of duplicative?
In Texas, the Constables serve a lot of civil papers. But, they also do traffic stops and other law enforcement duties. Plus, in the county I work in (and in some very small counties), the constable is also the bailiff on court days.

· Registered
233 Posts
I got my LEOSA permit last year because I travel to NY sometimes. My wife has family there and NY does not honor KY CCDW permit. Hopefully I will not be in a situation where I need to show my permit to anyone, but it is good to have it if I do.
A late friend of mine who was a retired Captain on KSP used his LEOSA creds several times in NYC and he told me the folks couldn't have been more helpful.

21 - 40 of 76 Posts