Glock Talk banner
1 - 5 of 76 Posts

· Registered
397 Posts
Retired ID is only proof that you are retired from the job. You can retired and never carry a gun every again. LEOSA: Law Enforcement Officer Safety Act is separate, allows you to carry in all 50 states. It's federal.
Technically, that card the Feds give retirees is nice, BUT, it’s not really acceptable, or should it be. Like everything else these federal agencies like to make up, interpret their own rules, even when Federal Law is very clear on the subject.

To meet the LEOSA standard and carry concealed, retired, under 18 USC 926 B &C, the retiree needs his or her retired photo ID and current qualification within the past year. Does that fugazy card the FEDS give out ( the retire guys in my office, from HSI and CBP, had them and they were nice, but didn’t meet the standard. Theirs lacked photos, but conferred their retired status and looked, well, nice. Now maybe they added photos in subsequent years, so maybe it’s been changed. Bottomline, retired credential's with photo and the qual card RULE.

· Registered
397 Posts
I don't know, I retire in about .45 days, I started all the LEOSA on line stuff, have a date scheduled this spring to qualify, but do I really need it? An Indiana LTCH is about all a guy like me needs, as I don't plan on any vacation trips to non reciprocal states.
Should you want to travel out of state, you are good for one year after the date you retire. In NYC, they put your retirement date on the back of your retired ID card, makes it easy.

· Registered
397 Posts
What cards are they showing?

You are allowed to use retired creds or the ID card, which does have a photo. Always has.
The early HR218/LEOSA cards my Fed co-workers had, didn’t have photos. We discussed it over and over and the rational was, it was easier to carry that card and your qualificatio card than their Credentials which also in some cases had their badge attached. Even without the badge, most retired Fed Crees are HUGE, compared to retired or active for that matter, real police ID’s

· Registered
397 Posts
My issue is #00010 and it has my photo.
Where did you retire from? Their cards were issued very late 2008-2009. Several were legacy Customs, then ICE/HSI. I didn’t pay too much attention, but I know at some point they got new ones. Did yours have an expiration date, not that it matters, as the retired Credentials are really the proper ID required by the statue, along with current Qual, but you know that…

1 - 5 of 76 Posts