Glock Talk banner

What the hell is LEOSA?

2565 Views 75 Replies 25 Participants Last post by  exfed2001
I am retired from the job from the East Coast. Moved to Texas about 2.5 years ago. Love it here. I got pulled over last night coming home from Houston. I was speeding, not going to lie. I got pulled over by a Deputy Constable. Nice guy, a little older. He asked if I was carrying and I said yes. I accidentally handed him my LEOSA creds instead of my retired creds. He looked at it, looked at me, looked at it again and said "What the hell is LEOSA?". I had to explain it to him. No ticket, was on my way. Never heard of a cop not aware of LEOSA.
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What are LEOSA creds? Thought the retired ID WAS your LEOSA creds? Is that the proof you qualified within a year?

Randy
Retired ID is only proof that you are retired from the job. You can retired and never carry a gun every again. LEOSA: Law Enforcement Officer Safety Act is separate, allows you to carry in all 50 states. It's federal.

Registered
What are LEOSA creds? Thought the retired ID WAS your LEOSA creds? Is that the proof you qualified within a year?

Randy
Here in NV I get a card from the local sheriff after I qualify. Like ateamer put it the retired ID just represents and event, your retirement. Even with that I had to have a letter from the current chief stating I retired in good standing after more that 10 years. Now that I dropped the letter off and got the card I just have to qualify 1x a year and then get a new picture every 5 years.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How in the blue hell could an officer working anywhere in the US not know about LEOSA? Is any training required to be a constable?
I don't know much about Constables in Texas. Where I come from, it's a suck ass political appointment, they don't carry and it's like civil process. Here from what I see they do car stops etc.

Registered
Constables were some of the earliest peace officers here in Texas, and they still play an important part in our local government now. They are da poe-leece, here, but why this fella wasn鈥檛 aware of LEOSA, I couldn鈥檛 tell you.

I bet I could ask around to the officers in my agency as well as the others I come into contact with in my area and find one or more with no knowledge of it also. Sad, but true.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Constables were some of the earliest peace officers here in Texas, and they still play an important part in our local government now. They are da poe-leece, here, but why this fella wasn鈥檛 aware of LEOSA, I couldn鈥檛 tell you.

I bet I could ask around to the officers in my agency as well as the others I come into contact with in my area and find one or more with no knowledge of it also. Sad, but true.
Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't each county have a Sheriff's Office and an elected Constable? Kind of duplicative?

Registered
Retired ID is only proof that you are retired from the job. You can retired and never carry a gun every again. LEOSA: Law Enforcement Officer Safety Act is separate, allows you to carry in all 50 states. It's federal.
Technically, that card the Feds give retirees is nice, BUT, it鈥檚 not really acceptable, or should it be. Like everything else these federal agencies like to make up, interpret their own rules, even when Federal Law is very clear on the subject.

To meet the LEOSA standard and carry concealed, retired, under 18 USC 926 B &C, the retiree needs his or her retired photo ID and current qualification within the past year. Does that fugazy card the FEDS give out ( the retire guys in my office, from HSI and CBP, had them and they were nice, but didn鈥檛 meet the standard. Theirs lacked photos, but conferred their retired status and looked, well, nice. Now maybe they added photos in subsequent years, so maybe it鈥檚 been changed. Bottomline, retired credential's with photo and the qual card RULE.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Technically, that card the Feds give retirees is nice, BUT, it鈥檚 not really acceptable, or should it be. Like everything else these federal agencies like to make up, interpret their own rules, even when Federal Law is very clear on the subject.

To meet the LEOSA standard and carry concealed, retired, under 18 USC 926 B &C, the retiree needs his or her retired photo ID and current qualification within the past year. Does that fugazy card the FEDS give out ( the retire guys in my office, from HSI and CBP, had them and they were nice, but didn鈥檛 meet the standard. Theirs lacked photos, but conferred their retired status and looked, well, nice. Now maybe they added photos in subsequent years, so maybe it鈥檚 been changed. Bottomline, retired credential's with photo and the qual card RULE.
New Jersey tried to make their own rules about LEOSA and got shot down. I have seen plenty of FED cards, they differ from agency to agency.

Massive Member
I'm ... vaguely familiar with LEOSA (some will get that joke...) what I was wondering what you meant by LEOSA creds that you accidentally handed over instead of retired creds. LEOSA just requires photo ID from your old agency (retired creds) and proof of qualifying within the past year. So what did you hand him by mistake... The way you phrased that didn't sound like it was the proof of qualification.

Some states produce their own ID card they call a LEOSA card. MI included. It's not legally sufficient for LEOSA, which requires photo retired id from the agency you retired from. But since it's issued by the state, probably any cop in the state will treat it as if it's legally sufficient. Wondering if that was what you were referring to, or something else.

Randy

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm ... vaguely familiar with LEOSA (some will get that joke...) what I was wondering what you meant by LEOSA creds that you accidentally handed over instead of retired creds. LEOSA just requires photo ID from your old agency (retired creds) and proof of qualifying within the past year. So what did you hand him by mistake... The way you phrased that didn't sound like it was the proof of qualification.

Some states produce their own ID card they call a LEOSA card. MI included. It's not legally sufficient for LEOSA, which requires photo retired id from the agency you retired from. But since it's issued by the state, probably any cop in the state will treat it as if it's legally sufficient. Wondering if that was what you were referring to, or something else.

Randy
It was the proof of qualification, which has my photo, agency name etc. Hope that clarifies.

Registered
I don't know, I retire in about .45 days, I started all the LEOSA on line stuff, have a date scheduled this spring to qualify, but do I really need it? An Indiana LTCH is about all a guy like me needs, as I don't plan on any vacation trips to non reciprocal states.

Registered
You can carry on your retired creds, or on a card/ID issued by your agency identifying you as covered/eligible under LEOSA.
Some agencies issue one, some the other, some give the option of both.

Randy

Registered
Does that fugazy card the FEDS give out ( the retire guys in my office, from HSI and CBP, had them and they were nice, but didn鈥檛 meet the standard. Theirs lacked photos, but conferred their retired status and looked, well, nice. Now maybe they added photos in subsequent years, so maybe it鈥檚 been changed. Bottomline, retired credential's with photo and the qual card RULE.
What cards are they showing?

You are allowed to use retired creds or the ID card, which does have a photo. Always has.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts