What Tablet Would You Go With if You were Going to DITCH Your Laptop/Desktop ???

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Nalapombu, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Nalapombu

Nalapombu Millennium Member

Hey all.

Quick question.

In the last 2 years I have bought 2 new ASUS laptops, one for me and another as an XMAS gift for my Mom. In less than 15 months after first powering on, BOTH of these laptops had the HDD fail. Mine just happened 5 days ago.

This got me thinking about just doing away with laptops and going with one of the larger screen tablets.
    I’ve fooled around a bit with the IPAD and the Samsung Galaxy E tablet running Android, but never messed with a tablet running Windows. I don’t think there is anything I do on my laptop that I wouldn’t be able to accomplish on a tablet.

I don’t know which I would choose right now if asked but the IPAD Pro 13” would be high on the list. I would prefer the larger screen tablets though as my eyes just don’t work as well as they used to.

So, have any of you guys and gals ditched your laptop or desktop and went with a tablet for all your computing needs? If so, which OS did you end up going with and what model Tablet did you get?
    Do you miss your “regular” computer since making the change?

If you were giving advice to a family member that was thinking about going with a new tablet, what would you counsel them to go with??

The only negative thing I can come up with in making a change like this is the COST. The bigger screened tablets get UP there in price really quickly and then you have to buy a keyboard for whatever one you get and that’s another $125 or so.

Thank you kindly for your time and any help you care to give me.
    Have a great weekend!

Larry

2. Cirdan

Cirdan

I have a Surface Pro (Windows) and two Galaxy Tablets (Android).

The Microsoft Surface Pro is really a laptop hiding in a tablet format. Keyboard is pretty good, much better than the keyboards you can buy for regular tabloids. If you are going to type a lot, you might want to look at that.

The Androids are quicker to boot, but the smaller screen can be difficult, especially if you don't have the sharpest vision. I'm not talking about how sharp the screen is - they're great - I mean everything is small. If you spend a lot of time on web pages, you'll find them hard to read (unless they are mobile-friendly AND recognize your tablet as a mobile device). Yes, I know you can increase font size, but a lot of websites do not scale well. And popups that are annoying on a laptop make the website completely unusable on a tablet. One of my tablets is 4g, which is great since I live in an area were wifi is not ubiquitous.

Can't tell you about iOS devices. I refuse to hand all of my money over to Apple for overpriced products that are behind Samsung in technology and capability. Apple's a cult I don't care to join.

dudel, Atomic Punk and Pierre! like this.

3. Adjuster

Adjuster

The post you just made above will take you 5x longer to type out with no keyboard. Get a Chromebook.

/

Dave514 likes this.
  4. SleeperSS

SleeperSS

iPad....hands down.

5. Intolerant

Intolerant

Either IPAD or Samsung are the better choices out there.
    Maybe check out some consumer reports and see what that looks like.

6. Gun Shark

Gun Shark

This.

7. lazarus66

lazarus66

The Big Chief tablets have served me well for decades.

FullClip, pblanc and quasii like this.
  8. Pierre!

Pierre! NRA Life Member

Using my Surface Pro 4 - and Overall I am very satisfied with it.

Screen is VERY high resolution. Just realized when I am doing screen recordings with Camtasia the files recently became HUGE... till I realized how hi-rez the screen is.

Light, very portable, not really pleased with "upgrade ability" and cost.

I might go with a Surface Book for the battery life next time.

The DOC station really needs to come up to speed for USB3, and be affordable as well.

That is my $0.02

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
  9. blackjack

blackjack

The CEO at my small organization insisted on a transition from Thinkpad laptops to Surface Pro tablets so we could be more mobile. I was prepared to hate it because my wife does not care for the Surface I got her several years ago and has transitioned to the iPad Pro with much more satisfaction. My experience in the last year with the Surface Pro has been very good with only two drawbacks: I really liked the multiple USB ports on the Thinkpad (only one on the Surface) and necessity of an HDMI to VGA converter for older projectors.

Best points for the Surface: screen resolution (already mentioned), keyboard, solid state disk drive, battery life.

10. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

Lenovo with detachable keyboard.
    Best of both.
    :)

11. dudel

dudel

Surface Pro. I haven't carried a laptop in years.

mmcbeat likes this.
  12. mmcbeat

mmcbeat

I like my iPad Pro and have very little use for a PC. I did buy in inexpensive wireless printer to print the occasional shipping label, etc.

13. The_Dan

The_Dan The underscore is silent

I do 70% of my work computing on an iPad, 30% on my laptop. Haven’t had a desktop in a while. For heavy use I use a docking station for multiple displays and a full sized Bluetooth keyboard and mouse with either device. I really only use the laptop for multiple displays and have been considering fitting an Apple TV unt into the mix and mirroring my iPad to a 42in TV as the monitor that I could split screen and have two large enough displays.

I’m pretty mobile and the iPad makes it easy.

14. Pistolay

Pistolay Wut?

Over the past several years, I've gone from Surface Pro -> Surface Pro 3 -> Surface Book -> Surface Book 2. I really like the Surface Book, but if max battery life in tablet mode was my highest priority, I'd go to a Surface Pro 4. The Surface Book gets around 3 hours in tablet mode, and the Surface Book 2 around 4-5. When I'm sitting in my easy chair, I just flip the screen around and fold it down, so I have a tablet form factor but all of the battery. When I'm sitting at a table (like right now on my deck), I usually have the screen turned around and use the base as, well, a base. I only use it as a laptop when I need a real keyboard, and I detach the tablet when I really want the light weight, like in the...uhh...library.

It's a very versatile machine, and with the base attached, the SB2 gets incredible battery life. My wife and I both have them. We ditched our desktop a few years ago.

dudel likes this.
  15. chandne

chandne

I need one for when I travel since carrying two laptops is just too much (I don't like doing personal stuff on a work laptop or a phone). I'm definitely going with the iPad Pro and leaning towards the 10.5" not the 12.9". In addition to the fancy stuff you can do with the pencil, I like how powerful it is and how non reflective the screen is. I also have switched to Macs and iPhones and am getting the new watch,so it makes sense to stick with the ecosystem I like and am used to now. I can keep all my stuff within the same system and access it all through my Mac at home and tablet on the road.

16. SouthVA

SouthVA

Fair enough, as it depends largely on what you want to do with it. I have some co-workers that use the Surface, and another that uses a Surface clone of some sort. If you want to do industrial strength Excel and other apps requiring that kind of power, then probably the Surface.

At work I use a Lenovo laptop docked, with two monitors.

However, if you don't need that stuff, then go with a tablet. I use my iPad for 90% of what I do (personally, not work) and my iMac for the rest, or if I just want a bigger screen and better keyboard.

FWIW, I have Word and Excel on my iPad. They work pretty well, but aren't the aforementioned industrial strength flavor.

Lastly, I have a keyboard case, so I'm using a physical keyboard. I strongly recommend it.
    Hopefully Apple will be announcing some new iPad Pros in October, so I'll see what they come up with. I'll likely wind up with a 10 or 11 inch version. The 12.9 is just too heavy for my needs.

17. thewitt

thewitt

You need to understand what you need the device to do, then you can make a decision.

If you are a content consumer - that is you use social media, email, news sites, and spend only a portion of your time authoring material - that can make your choices much more broad than if you need to run a specific program in your daily activities.

I hate Windows. I use it every day on my work computer, and will never buy a personal device that relies on it. Everything I do on my PC I can do on my Mac.

That said, I cannot do everything on my iPad that I do on my Mac. Specifically I need a more powerful image editor and I publish books using a specific book creating software that only runs on a Mac.

I do most of my writing on an iPad - and have authored 12 books so far primarily writing on the iPad and now an iPad Pro with keyboard. I love it as an authoring device because I can take it with me anywhere and the battery lasts all day. I can sit in the corner of a bar, a cafe, a plane or an airport lounge and write without having to be near an outlet.

When it comes time to publish however, I need my Mac.

So, no tablet will work for me as a compete replacement, but my Mac will work for as long as it stays running. I don't need to upgrade it to do what I need it to do. My iPad does most of the work now when I'm not "at work" and am required to use a Dell PC.

18. G26-Has-my-6

G26-Has-my-6

I feel the future will be that your smart phone replaces both the tablet and laptop/desktop. now I connect my laptop to a monitor/keyboard/mouse wirelessly. when the smart phone has similar power to store and run the necessary apps, it's goodbye computers. just sit at the desk, and start working off the smartphone with the ease of working with a computer.

19. Smokey613

Smokey613

This pretty much sums up my setup except I am about 80/20 iPad/laptop usage and I use an Apple TV often to watch YT and Amazon Prime.

20. thewitt

thewitt

I will never be able to author books on my phone ... and the older I get, the less I like the small screen.

WeeWilly and FullClip like this.