What sunglasses do you prefer?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by gloxter, May 19, 2007.

1. gloxter

gloxter Guest

I've always wanted to ask a commercial pilot of his/her recommendation or choice of sunglasses, but don't fly frequently enough to ask (or remember to ask).

For the record, I'm not a pilot; but I do drive fire apparatus.

Sorry if this has been covered before.

2. flyandscuba

flyandscuba

I prefer the standard Ray Ban green-gray (G15) tint. Also, with today's glass cockpits, polarized lenses are a no no -- if you want to be able to read your displays, that is...

3. aircarver

aircarver Descent Terminated Silver Member

+1 on what flyandscuba said, except I prefer straight gray tint.

4. jacquejet

jacquejet

5. flyguydaniel

flyguydaniel

I've been flying with some Revo wire frames for the past 2 or 3 years. They are polarized, but I have no problem seeing the screen on our Garmin 430s or G1000 glass cockpit. They are also a Brown/Rose tint which is a high contrast lens. I.e. blues are bluer and greens are greener. It really helps in spotting other traffic. The wire frames also slip perfectly under my headset. Sunglasses being able to fit comfortably under headsets is a big issue. Maui Jim's have the same size frame but are also polarized. Both are expensive.
    Revo Sungalsses
    Maui Jim's

6. GlueSniffinEd

GlueSniffinEd Guest

Not a professional here, but I use polarized Maui Jim's on the drive to the airport and non-polarized neutral gray Ray-Ban's in the cockpit.

7. k9medic

k9medic

It depends on what I am flying.

If I am teaching a student then I do not wear sunglasses. I want the student to see that I an evaluating him/her, rather than just day dreaming. You can convey a little more that way.

In the airplane I wear a pair of Ray Bans that have a gray lense. They are not the aviator style, just a stylish pair of glasses.

In the helicopter, I have to wear a helmet, so I just use the visor on the helmet. We wear MSA Gallet helmets, so the optics are really good.

Hey Glue... hows the flying going? Did they sell the lance?

8. dozing4dollars

dozing4dollars Plasticized ! CLM

Factory installed Airbus or Boeing sunshades does it for me...if that doesn't do it, a well placed navigation plotting chart taped up works well!;)

9. MulletLoad

MulletLoad

I can't figure out where Boeing got their green sunshades in the last couple of years, Bulgaria? Ukraine?

They did it right with the roll out shades on the side windows though.

10. k9medic

k9medic

I did my simulated IFR portion of my PPL that way. That was some time ago. I don't think it would happen that way now.:laughabove:

11. AirCav

AirCav Out Front! CLM

Serengeti with the "Drivers" lenses.

Did the Ray Ban thing for years, kind of an occupational hazard. I don't anymore.

12. New

New Guest

+1 on the Maui Jim's wire frames. I bought them when they 1st came out, I still have the same pair. Sent them in 2 years ago, got them fixed for $40.

They are light, don't get in the way of any headset seals I have used, and cut glare dramatically. The polarized lenses have never been an issue with any of the equipment I have flown, and I wear them with students. In fact I require all of my students to have a pair of sun glasses on him/her self, they do learn by example. It becomes part of the pre-flight checklist. They are as important as a current sectional. The one time I flew without my sunnies, I came within feet of having a classic midair.

13. Andrew Tacquard

Andrew Tacquard

Just got some Maui Jim wire frames, and really like them. I haven't tried to fly w/ them yet. I can't read my Ipod screen w/ them so I thought they might screw up the MPCDs. The Ipod is an LCD and the MPCDs are some sort of projection so it might not be an issue. I'll try them one day w/ a clear visor.

14. New

New Guest

The displays on modern equipment are a much higher quality than the typical screen on say an ipod or organizer. I have used the G1K and some PFD's and not had an issue. But for safety's sake, I would defiantly run a complete checklist with any and all equipment in the panel.

15. Avenger29

Avenger29 Guest

I wear the same pair of glasses that I wear when shooting- a pair of UVEX shaded wraparound shooting glasses (cost me $15).

They don't give me a problem under the headset.

If you own your own plane, get Rosen sunvisors...

16. New

New Guest

They are nice, but they aren't nice enough for me to ditch the sunnys. Do you have them installed, I heard they had to be STC'ed?

17. Avenger29

Avenger29 Guest

I don't have the Rosens installed on my own plane yet- but I fly a couple of rentals that do. I am going to get them cause they are good...but might try to find a bit cheaper substitute...

Yep, STC'd. Not a big deal.

18. Kill Bill

Kill Bill Plane go boom.

i use the military randolph's. not terribly expensive and very tough.