close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What Spring Rate For Recoil Reduction in G23C?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Sean K., Jan 19, 2010.

1. Sean K.

Sean K.

So my wife is complaining about the recoil in her G23C (gen. 3). It is stock except for a 25 cent trigger job and a 3.5# Glock connector.

We're shooting mostly WWB 165 gr. ammo. I know 155 gr. would help slightly but I'm looking at possibly getting a 20, 22 or 24# recoil spring and SS guide rod to help tame the recoil some.

What spring rate would you recommend? I know the factory spring rate for the G23 is 18#s but I'm not sure what I should go with.

Any advice is appreciated (except to go to a 9mm....not an option yet)....and we are working on her stance, grip and grip strength to try and make it more manageable for her.

Thanks,
    Sean

2. G36's Rule

G36's Rule Senior Member

Going higher in spring weight will probably lead to stovepiping and FTF. WWB 165's are probably barely clearing as it is with the ports.

Adding spring weight tends to extend the recoil impulse, but not lesson it. I would go the opposite way. Drop down a pound or two, speed up the slide. See what that does for you.

3. Sean K.

Sean K.

You're the second person that's recommended running a lighter spring, a 15#.

Hmm.....I guess I have this backwards. I (apparently incorrectly) thought the higher the spring rate, the more recoil would be reduced.

Thanks for correcting me. I'll give the 15# a try.

Oh, and out of several thousand rounds out of my 23C and hers.....we've had zero malfunctions with the 165 gr. ammo. Spent shells are ejected at least 5-8 feet.

Thanks again,
    Sean

4. G36's Rule

G36's Rule Senior Member

That shows you that proper form is being used and her grip is right.

I don't think you were incorrect about adding weight changing felt recoil. You have to remember that recoil is recoil. It will be the same no matter what spring is in the gun. Changing springs changes the way the pistol handles the energy the bullet and burning powder impart on the pistol.

I love the C model GLOCKs.

:thumbsup:

5. Steel Head

Steel Head Tactical Cat

Try some 180 grain loads-to me most recoil softer than the lighter bullets

6. MoNsTeR

MoNsTeR

A spring cannot reduce recoil, only change how you perceive it.

7. mboylan

mboylan

Going to a lighter spring will reduce muzzle flip, reduce time in recoil and get you back on the target quicker. Going to a heavier spring will increase muzzle flip and increase time in recoil.

8. JBP55

JBP55

You are going in the wrong direction, you want heavier ammo. and lighter spring. 15# spring and 180gr. ammo.