GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm a Glock fanboy. I really like my Glocks. I always carry a Glock for CCW. However, I also like some rather...unpopular or older model (gasps!) guns as well. For example, I really like my Ruger SR-9. It's slim, 17 rnd mags, relieable, good trigger. Shoots very very well.
I also really really like my Taurus PT-92 and 24/7 in 9mm. I've always had a PT-92/99 since college in the 90s and my brother still has my 1st one, a PT-99 with adjustable sights. I've had Beretta 92s as well, and while also really liking them, I was too lazy in getting used to the safety/decocker on the slide. I prefer the safety, decocker and option to carry cocked and locked of the Taurus PT-92.
A few years ago I bought my girl friend a Taurus 24/7 in 9mm and decided she only likes revolvers, so I ended up keeping the 24/7. Yeah, I kind of knew that was going to happen and that's kind of why and how I justified it. And it's definitely a shooter! I've zero problems with pistol and it's only shot my home loads of 124 grain copper plated bullets and my 125 grain cast bullets.
Anyway, what are your "sleeper" guns? I dig them kind of stories.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I have a $150 beater IMI Jericho 941 9mm with a pitted, refinished, mismatched serial numbered slide, which is a wonderful shooter. It came from CDNN years ago and was alleged to be a former Israeli military/police gun. It's an absolute beater gun, but it shoot great.

·
Venor ergo sum
Gun control is about CONTROL.
3,543 Posts
S&W model 66-5 2 1/2”. Of course it is non-P&R and a MIM gun, but after a “stock” Wolff spring kit it has a real nice trigger and is very accurate.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
I had a Taurus PT745C that ran flawlessly. It was a really nice pocket gun. I sold it 12 years ago to a friend who reaaaaally wanted it, and he still carries it today.

·
Registered
612 Posts
For me it an Arcus 94, a Bulgarian clone of the Browning Hi Power. Well, a bit of a mutant clone, because it has a larger, squared off trigger guard. Runs fine with any ammo, and doesn't care which magazines are being used.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
I also have a Ruger P97 45acp. I got it used for $250 and was surprised at how well I could shoot with it.

·
Registered
12,356 Posts
I'm a Glock fanboy. I really like my Glocks. I always carry a Glock for CCW. However, I also like some rather...unpopular or older model (gasps!) guns as well. For example, I really like my Ruger SR-9. It's slim, 17 rnd mags, relieable, good trigger. Shoots very very well.
I also really really like my Taurus PT-92 and 24/7 in 9mm. I've always had a PT-92/99 since college in the 90s and my brother still has my 1st one, a PT-99 with adjustable sights. I've had Beretta 92s as well, and while also really liking them, I was too lazy in getting used to the safety/decocker on the slide. I prefer the safety, decocker and option to carry cocked and locked of the Taurus PT-92.
A few years ago I bought my girl friend a Taurus 24/7 in 9mm and decided she only likes revolvers, so I ended up keeping the 24/7. Yeah, I kind of knew that was going to happen and that's kind of why and how I justified it. And it's definitely a shooter! I've zero problems with pistol and it's only shot my home loads of 124 grain copper plated bullets and my 125 grain cast bullets.
Anyway, what are your "sleeper" guns? I dig them kind of stories. View attachment 892571 View attachment 892572
My Wife's EDC is an SR9c. She prefers it over my G19.
I can't say that I can find any reason to persuade her otherwise.

I owned a CZ 75 before it was cool.......
I owned a CZ75 before I even knew it was supposed to be cool.

Reactions: Rotn1

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
for me, its my OD green Gen 3-37, absolutely the smoothest, most accurate Glock I've ever owned and in emasculate shape, even though I've got several hundred rounds reloaded for it, not something I shoot often, just the best example of "Glock Perfection" I have in my safe, it may not be a collectors item but if I have a "safe Queen" she rules the roost.

a current thread in General Glocking caused me to purchase a Gen 4-37 (like I need something to blame to buy another firearm) if its shoots anything like my Gen 3-37, I'll RMR it and try to wear it out.

·
Polymerlicious!
5,991 Posts
It's interesting that the Ruger SR series has already been mentioned twice. Because as soon as I saw the thread title, I thought, "Oh, that's easy: my SR45."
I've had it about 5 or 6 years and it shoots great. Amazingly soft recoil, incredible ergonomics, totally reliable, light trigger pull, 10-round magazines, and a very affordable price. It's my bedside gun. I wouldn't put it there if I didn't have total faith in it.
In the past, I had an Astra A-80 .45 that was basically a SIG/Sauer P220 copy in all steel and it was fantastic as well.

·
Registered
5,405 Posts
Mine would be my Ruger Old Army. Slow to load but alot of fun,and it makes that nice boom that blackpowder brings.

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
My brother who lives in my hometown Flagstaff, AZ told a story of going to Gary Reeder's Custom Gun Smith shop and saw that Reeder's wife was packing a Llama 1911. When my brother asked why she said, "It always works. It eats anything I feed it." He went on to say that her husband would go mad trying to get a custom 1911 to work reliably and he hated her El-Cheapo Llama 1911. So my brother got one for like $200.00 and he lucked out too. Shots just about everything he says. Go figure.

·
Registered
6,928 Posts
A couple of 9mm CZ clones made in Turkey by Canik and imported by Tristar Arms. More people are probably familiar with Canik's striker fired pistols. The C-100 is like the CZ 75 B compact, but with an aluminum frame. The S-120 has a steel frame and is like a CZ 75 B. Reliable budget pistols that can be upgraded with parts from Cajun Gun Works or some parts made for CZ.

·
This is Barta!
243 Posts
IWI Masada. Took me a couple visits to the range but I get it now. Great shooting gun.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts