close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What Size Shot

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by Ljay, Mar 19, 2010.

1. Ljay

Ljay Micky's Packin

"Shotguns" What size shot does your department authorize you to carry, And do you agree or disagree with the size, How many is it up to you what size, What about non-lethal loads, effective or not,

Do you prefer pumps, or auto,s Do you have a preference on what brand of ammo to use, Or just whatever your dept supply's.

Do you think your training is adequate for shotguns,

how many of you actually prefer shotguns in a tight, or dangerous situation compared to hand guns.

Just stuff I always wondered about

O-kay no more questions,, "Thanks" :wavey:

2. 4949shooter

4949shooter

We use the Benelli M1 Super 90.

We carry 00 buck in the mag and slugs in the side saddle. I like the firepower,though there are some situations where I would prefer a rifle.

The shotgun with slugs is a good tool for putting down injured bear.

Training is adequate.

But you can never have enough training, you know?

3. razdog76

razdog76 Heavy Mettle

We use 870's in a variety of configurations. Issued both buck and slugs, and in the last year the policy changed from #4 to 00.

Having dispatched many deer with #4, it has changed my opinion of it. If reading paper ballistics, #4 sucks. #4 loads open up much faster than other buckshot loads at the cost of penetration. In the field though it puts them down like the hand of God. Moreover, I cannot recall ever seeing entry/exit holes on the deer.

IMHO, since #4 does not have the energy to break bone, once the pellet strikes bone it has a tendency to deflect and follow along the bone. Blood vessels and nerves also follow the bones making for a high probability of hitting something important.

I know Benelli autos have a huge following, all 3 auto's (not Benelli's) I have owned jammed making me a fan of pumps.

Training is nonexistent, we only requalify with them once per year, but the majority of our Deputies are hunters. I do a lot more "training" in my free time.

4. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

Remington 870 12gauge.

00 Buckshot in the tube
    1oz rifled slug in glovebox (I know, I know)

I'm fine with the selecion. Would like to have side saddles.

5. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Retired

We are issued reduced recoil 00 buck and 1 oz slugs. I am fine with the 00 and slugs. As for issued brand, whatever is low bid is what we get.
    Nonlethal loads? Not for the regular uniformed guys, possibly some for the SWAT guys.
    I don't have a preference for auto vs pump, but do find I shoot my 1100 faster than the 870. We are issued a variety of shotguns. I have an 870 (extended mag tube) some guys have Winchester Defenders:faint:, and others have refurbished 870s with 4 shot mag tube. Rumor is that Benelli Novas might be in our future (proration might nix those though). Pumps are fairly simple, so I believe our taining is adequate.
    The more dangerous it is, the bigger the gun I want available.

6. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Retired

Hell, the biggest thing I have had to euthanize was a cow. I had to shoot her twice, in the head. Of course, I was using an M1 carbine with ball ammo. I shot one and she stopped moving, but as I walked away, she started to moo and get up again (really, really screwed up rear right leg, almost amputated).
    You know what flashed through my mind? The scene from Me, Myself and Irene when Jim Carrey tries to kill the cow.

7. CJStudent

CJStudent No Longer Fenced In

Remington 870s with 00 Buck, 4 rounds in the tube, no slugs. Training consists of annual "qual" shooting 10 rounds of birdshot at metal tombstone targets at 40 yards. No comment on my opinion of the training quality.

8. Ljay

Ljay Micky's Packin

Are you talking about #4shot, or #4Buck, I,m assuming you are talking about #4buckshot,

Also whats up with these reduced recoil loads, To me reduced recoil means reduced power! Are these too weak, or still adequate for man stopping situations.

:fallenofficer:

9. razdog76

razdog76 Heavy Mettle

That would be #4 buck.

Reduced recoil loads do have reduced power, however it is still enough power to perforate the intended target, and they pattern tighter (only hits count) and allow faster follow up shots.

10. 4949shooter

4949shooter

Cows are big, tough animals. A friend of mine had to put down a loose bull. He said the bull went towards him, and multiple slugs from the Benelli did the trick.

I think I would rather have a .375 Holland and Holland for that kind of stuff.

11. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

We gave up the shotguns in '96 for the MP5. When we had shotguns, they were Remington 870s with 18" barrels (two or three had 20") and Speedfeed stocks. Issue ammo was 00 buck and rifled slugs. I only carried slugs - four in the tube and four more in the stock. I was concerned about buckshot spreading and pellets going off target, and wanted the accuracy and penetration of a slug. Fortunately, I never had to find out if that was the best strategy.

12. OLY-M4gery

OLY-M4gery

Remington 870

00 buck and Slugs.

Supposed to be loaded 1 slug 3 buckshot............

Was changed to all slugs, with buckshot on the side saddle.

Now they just fire beanbags.

13. beavo451

beavo451

870s with 00 buck. Used to have slugs, but no more when the AR-15s came around.

14. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

We were pretty much allowed to use anything from 00 buck to #4 and slugs.

I carried a 14" Rem 870 loaded with slugs.

15. SPDSNYPR

SPDSNYPR Zippy's Friend.

:supergrin:

16. Ljay

Ljay Micky's Packin

Really, how much past the barrel ring did you have?

17. pgg00

pgg00

Remington 870. Issued 00 Buck and slugs. I carry mine with the buck in the tube and slugs on the side saddle.

I also have some birdshot in my car for snakes

Training? What training????

18. Cochese

Cochese Most mackinest CLM

We have a fleet of 870s in various configs. All are sling equipped. Most have a SF forend. Side saddles on most with slugs. Remington LE 00 buck in the mag, cruiser safe.

Less lethals are orange furnished 870s with CTS super socks.

We can carry personally owned 870s if we wish, including NFA. I'm toying with selling my new FN TPS to fund. Serbu Super Shorty. :tbo:

19. Broke Hoss

Broke Hoss

Our cars are equiped with an 870, 4 rds of 00 in the magazine. 2 bean bags in the sidesaddle.

I carry an issued 870, sling, light, rifle sights & extended mag. The tube is loaded with 00 & the sidesaddle with 1oz slugs. I carry a box of #7's in my bag for snakes.

I prefer the pump because that's what I hunt with, an 870 as well.

Requalify twice a year; shooting 5 rnds at steel pepper poppers.

For those that only shoot a shotgun then; that is not enough training. I hunt birds with an 870 & I've been using my duty shotgun for pig hunting of late.

20. Hack

Hack Crazy CO Gold Member

870 with 00 buck. #8 maybe for some inside the fence jobs, if it comes to needing that.

Training is once a year, and of course, there is not much given. Basically not enough budget for it in my opinion.