close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What should you use for a hog this size?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by noway, Jun 6, 2003.

1. noway

noway

If you where hunting a hog that weighed over 700lbs, what caliber handgun would you use?

2. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

YIKES!!! that's a biggun'

Not knowing a damn thing about hog hunting, I would probably go with a good 'ol .44 magnum with 300gr FP's inside.

3. Poohgyrr

Poohgyrr GEC #15 sheepsfoot

Beneath the old oak tree at Sutter's Fort
    HAH.

That looks big. From here even. I can hold a Garand with my hands, does that count as a handgun? All eight rounds of 30-06 per clip..

4. 10mmGuy

10mmGuy

I'll give ya one guess!:cool:

TAC's 200gr XTP outta do the trick!

5. noway

noway

A 10mm might even have a hard time stopping that hog.

I like the idea of a 300gr plus weight projectile, fired from a 44magnum or maybe even bigger.

This isn't no medium/large size dog, but is a good size of meat with tusks, that's comin at you and I would go with the biggest handgun that I could carry and operate.

6. Guest

Personally, I wouldn't want to try to take it with a handgun unless I was in a tree stand and knew I could stay out of its reach. I'd prefer to take it with a rifle, but if I HAD to take it a handgun, I'd probably want a T/C Encore pistol in .308. If it had to be a revolver, I'd probably wish for a .480 Ruger.

I generally prefer overkill for something that may try to take a chunk out of me. With that said, I'd really rather be calling in 8" Naval gunfire from a cruiser on the brute.

7. Sixgun_Symphony

Sixgun_Symphony NRA4EVR

8. tjpet

tjpet

300 grn. slug @ 1200 fps out of a .45 Colt. Controlable/hits hard.

9. Mwinter

Mwinter I'm MilkMan Dan

In theory, I'd have a DA .44Mag revolver loaded with Garrett SWC hardcast loads. They have terrific penetration and come well recommended from several successful hunters I know.

However, since I'm very much a realist, I'd use whatever handgun I had to shoot it as many time as I could in the *top* of the skull/neck....see I'd be up a big ol' tree screamin like a girl. 700lbs of pissed-off ANYTHING is enough to get me scared. :cool:

10. Hihopoly

Hihopoly

11. 10mmGuy

10mmGuy

Hey noway do you know where that little piggy was taken? I've heard of some monsters down in TX. Knew a guy once who shot a 700lb one with his bow. I'd like the chance to take one of those beasts! You don't know the story behind it do ya? I'm guessing it was shot from a stand or something. I can't imagine dogs going after a porkbeast like that!

12. 0100010

0100010 Millennium Member

I would use a pair of these.

[​IMG]

13. noway

noway

IIRC somewhere near central Florida, this hog was taken. I think it was shoot with a rifle.

14. Scott H

Scott H Guest

Central to north Florida have hogs of this size. I'd use anything from a .44mag, .45C, .454Casull , .475Linebaugh etc, any of the big bores with at least a 300gr hard cast lead flat point. I wouldn't be afraid to take from the ground at 40 or 50 yards, as long as I wasn't the slowest runner in the group ;f

15. striderglock

striderglock HVACR

where are those "9mm is fine" guys? LOL

i bet the meat is tuff on an old hog like that.

16. Blah!

Blah! Guest

id use my 7mm mag if i had a choice;g

17. Captain Caveman

Captain Caveman a.k.a. DaReaper

Handgun!!!??? By choice??? H*LL NO!!!

Reminton 1187 by Scattergun Tech. with 1oz slugs. That thing would get all 7.

18. sigsrbest

sigsrbest "Clique"member

i thot fer sure that this was whut i'd be seeing when i opened the photo above...

19. Esox357

Esox357

Simple a 9mm with 115 +p Corbons, nah that is too heavy, :) really a 454 Casull would be what I would take, but if I was hunting something that big I prefer a belt-fed weapon. Esox357

20. duncan

duncan Lifetime Member Millennium Member

The truth be told . . .

For any hogs up to 200 lbs, 10mm, 41 mag, 44 mag on up are fine. and you'll enjoy eating that hog because its got tender meat.

A little higher and I'd want a 454 Casull revolver or step up to some 1.5 ounce rifled shotgun slugs. But only up to about 300 lbs.

When you shoot a beast that big (over 300 lbs), forget eating it. They are really tough and don't taste too good. So you'd be shooting that big hog to save the damage on your land or if it's become dangerous to people or livestock.

Would only use a Marlin Guide gun in 45-70 gov or a high power rifle because you need to penetrate through the really tough hide and get to the internals.

When the hogs get that big, their plates become very thick from scarring in fighting for sows and they are quite grissly (sp?).

So shot and dispose of the body somewhere - preferably next to a bear den so he can fatten up.

My preference is for elk if I have to quarter and carry out some meat after 4 hours of cutting and breaking ribs and other bones. Give me some elk.

All of the domestic pork mixing and sausage grinding in the world isn't going to help that nasty meat taste better.

But I maybe wrong? Maybe some of our southern friends with that nice humid air and plenty of swamp bottoms within bigguns like that do know how to get that bacon, ham, and pork chops tasting righteous.

If not, I also have several friends from the Islands that drop those puppies underground all day and can make the meat fall off of the bone - at least with domestic pigs.

Has anyone prepped and cooked up one of these bigguns before?