close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What should I charge?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by headphonefreak, Mar 21, 2006.

1. headphonefreak

headphonefreak

A friend of my parents needs a wifi network set up, I plan on doing it with a cheap linksys router and using WPA, what would you charge?

BTW there will be 3 laptops and a desktop.

2. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

call a local computer repair shop, and ask them if they do on-site residential work.

tell them what you need done, and ask what the hourly rate is and how long something like that tends to take.

it really varies by location.

3. Chevytuff19

Chevytuff19

If all the comps already have wireless cards and you don't have to install anything, I would say $25-30 if they are your friends. I just set up a wireless network for one of my friends for free and they had 3 Desktops (one wired) and 1 laptop. It really doesn't take much effort but a computer shop would charge at least $100+ to go out there to do it.

This is all assuming you have no out-of-pocket expense for purchasing hardware, etc.

Wes

4. Sgt. Schultz

Sgt. Schultz Annoying Member

You can also check out web sites like Geek Squad, they list the prices for all the services they offer ... then you can decide what you want to charge your friends.
    http://www.geeksquad.com/servicesandpricing/onsiteservices.php

I setup my shooting buddy’s LAN (3 laptops, 1 desktop) in less then 30 minutes. I told him what hardware to buy and he had all the PC’s up and running when I arrived. Since 3 of the computers where laptops I didn’t have to go room to room, I could work on all of them with leaving my chair. The longest part of the process is waiting for the reboots. He insisted on paying me something ... we usually grab a bite to eat after a trip to the range so I let him pickup the tab on the next trip.

5. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

If you are an hourly-employee at your current job, figure your rate with all the travel time. Add gas and 30 cents per mile or so and you should come very close to a fair price. Raise or lower it based on what you feel your relationship is to them.

6. headphonefreak

headphonefreak

Well they will be buying me a wedding gift soon so I think I will just tell him its free and let him give me a 20 for gas.

7. tarpleyg

tarpleyg

I usually charge $35 an hour but for friends I can discount that a bunch...probably take you 2 hours at the most including travel time. I'd say $50 would cover it. YMMV.

Greg

8. Nyper

Nyper

If they are friends, do it for free. Nothing wrong with doing something for someone else every now and then. If they are not friends, my time is not worth less than $40/hour for something like that (1 hour minimum).

9. Bronson7

Bronson7

WHAT???????!!!!!!!!
    I just checked Geek Squads price list. You've got to be kidding me!
    I need to come out of retirement.:)
    Bronson7

10. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

I don't charge anywhere near what Geek Squad tries to get away with...that's just robbery, plain and simple.

It's not like we went through ten years of University for this stuff, people. There are precious few decent PC techs I know who have any formal education in IT, anyway.

The point is that I charge $30-$50 per hour for housecalls. My average personal take for in-shop work comes out to around $30 an hour for builds, OS installs, ect.

For a job like this I'd say $60 for a customer and $30-$50 for a friend, depending on how strapped for cash he is.

Remember: Karma pays well, also...:alien:

11. Tennessee Slim

Tennessee Slim Señor Member CLM

If I do work for friends or family, I never charge (but I do accept donations of cold beer while I'm on the job). That way, so long as it was working when I left it, they've had their freebie; I feel no obligation to make another house call if it goes out again.

If I get needled into making a house call, I make sure to charge enough that they'll call someone else next time.

FWIW, the guy I hire to go fix my Mom's PC (I can't come home to Tennessee every time she flubs her OE) charges $45/hr. So long as the work is done to my satisfaction (an more importantly, to my Mom's), it's worth that much.

12. BLiTzNicK

BLiTzNicK Silent Member

If it's acutally a friend an not an someone asshat who thinks I owe them something, I'll just do it. No Charge!!