What should be my next glock?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by chrisw, Apr 6, 2010.

1. chrisw

chrisw

My first glock was a 3rd gen 19 w/ night sights that I bought several months ago. A descent number of range rounds later I found that I really like these guns. I am ready to purchase another glock, but I can't settle on which model. Here is my thinking thus far:

G26- Why not have a little brother version of the 19?
    g17- why not have a BIG brother....
    g22- summit has a fresh batch of 3rd gens in good condition for $365 with night sights and 2 mags!
    g23- I really like the size of the 19, so why not get a .40?
    g19... again. Why not get another of the one I like? Maybe a 2nd gen?

And a distant last place is:
    g21- I don't have a .45 but should probably get one eventually. The g21 is a distant last place but if the right deal came up i probably wouldn't say no.

So out of the 26,17, 22, 23, and another 19, what should I get? I want one of each eventually, but where do I go from here. I have plenty of handguns of different types, but only one glock so far. I am just trying to brainstorm right now. What do you think?

2. Armed-N-Ready

Armed-N-Ready Glock Clone

Decisions, decisions...

3. 17RTF2

17RTF2

get the one that started it all G17

4. Glockin26

Glockin26

What do you want to accomplish with your next weapon?
    Are you planning on carrying?
    Competition?
    Hiking companion?
    Plinking?
    Or just to collect?

I love my 26 and i don't feel like i need any other Glock; although, i carry everywhere legal.

5. southern_boy

southern_boy Tiny

id say get the g22... i love geting deals when i buy guns, but 365 dont seam that good to me bc i just bought a new glock 19 for 350 from a guy that bought it and loaded the mags and never got around to shooting it...

6. chrisw

chrisw

Fair enough question. Like I said I already have enough handguns for every purpose, but can always find more. I may possibly have a job(I am a pilot) flying in Alaska for the summer. Everyone in Alaska has a gun not only for protection from people, but also the wildlife. I have told myself that if i go to alaska i would carry a 23 with a .357sig barrel. The reason for not just getting the 357 glock is that outside of AK I would never use the gun. The reason for the .357 in AK is the velocity and penetration. While i wouldn't expect a one shot kill on a bear charging at me, the .357sig penetration would be more effective than a .40 or 9mm. This is truly the setup that I would love to pick up right now. Aside from that I already have a gun for every possible purpose. I can't say, "hey honey this would be perfect for, ....." because I already have all basis covered. She has just come to accept my problem with needing to buy a few new guns every year. So of your above choices, I would say just to collect.

7. chrisw

chrisw

I sure would love to find that same deal. There aren't many glocks that I would say no to for $350 on a FTF deal. If I buy from summit I still have to pay shipping and FFL transfer. $350 out the door I would probably buy a glock I don't even want!

8. daveycrockett

daveycrockett

In my opinion get something in a .40 caliber. I don't see any reason to get another G19, a G26 is a nice handgun but if you want something more compact get a G27. But if I were to make my pick for the best handgun to get next it would be a Sig 229 in .40 caliber. Just my opinion!

9. chrisw

chrisw

I already had a sig 229 in .40 and sold it about 30 days ago. not because i didn't like it as it was truly a first class piece, but to fund another purchase. The reason for all of the 9mm love is that the majority of my guns are in 9mm to keep a little caliber consistency. I do have a couple .40's as well and am not opposed to more. If I go .40 it would be the 22 or 23 before the 27. if i go subcompact it will definitely be the 26.

10. RBL525

RBL525

I would recommend the 23. It is the same as the 19 you love with a little more punch to it. Look at my sig, I am working my way through all the compact models because IMHO they are the best all around fit for most situations.

11. GunFighter45ACP

GunFighter45ACP

I'd get the G26 to stay in caliber. It's good for carry, your existing g19 mags are compatible & would also make for a great reload. I see no reason to go for a G17 if the G19 serves you well.

12. Brenzy

Brenzy

I agree with RBL, the compacts are the best shooting glocks for me.

13. ramrunnr

ramrunnr

My first answer is Yes. Yes to which? Yes to all. :supergrin:

I would first fill out my caliber and then expand from there. This is what I did. I have Glock 17, 19, and 26, plus added a Pistol Caliber carbine that shares mags with the 17. My next move will probably be into .45 ACP, then into .40 S&W or .357 SIG.

14. voyager4520

voyager4520

Just my opinions, but each has its own uses. It really depends which use you'd like fulfilled the most.

I personally got the G23 first and it was the best first handgun I could've gotten. But I wanted something that would conceal better and recently got a G27. The only reason to get a sub-compact is if you actually plan to concealed carry it. And I didn't add any magazine extensions because it takes away from the concealability. If you carry it on the belt it's nice because the area that prints, the handle, is so short on this gun. You can also pocket carry if you have baggy clothes with big pockets. I cargo pocket carry mine with a Desantis Nemesis, just something to cover the trigger guard.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
  15. cmcinc

cmcinc

Try them all out if you can and see what works the best for you. Good luck, it will be hard to go wrong with any of those choices.

16. easyg

easyg

Get a G27, and a G33 barrel.
    That way you will be able to shoot 9mm from your G19, and .40 and .357Sig from the G27/33.
    Variety is the spice of life! :cool:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
  17. davewms

davewms

Everyone needs a G17; Get a Gen4... I love mine!

18. tinman517

tinman517

Based on the latter portion of your original post . . . I would opt for a Glock of different flavor. Definitely consider a G23.

19. chrisw

chrisw

I am leaning toward agreeing with you here. While I would buy just about any glock if a great deal just happened to be available, I don't see a need for a 17 right now. Other than range duty I can't see any advantages over my 19 for a 17 and I already have many range guns. Not to mention that I really enjoy shooting my 19 at the range.

I am really leaning toward this as well. I think I have pretty well narrowed it down to either a 26 or a 23. There are so many 22's out there that I can wait and a great deal is likely to pop up with all of the police agencies out there that currently have 22's and will eventually upgrade. I see the value of used 22's going down a little due to the supply increasing over the next few years.

Would I conceal carry a 26? probably sometimes. I mostly carry a kel-tec pf-9 due to the fact that it is so tiny and light you forget you even have it on or in a pocket at all. I do occasionally carry either a m&p9 compact or the 19, so I guess if I was in the mood for something a little bigger than the kel-tec the 26 would fit the bill nicely.

Like I said before I would buy just about any glock for the right price meaning any 3rd gen that could be had for under $400 or any 2nd gen under $350, it would become my next purchase by way of price. I figure I will eventually have one of all of my choices so why not get them when the best deals are present.

Assuming no super deals pop up in the next couple days, I think I am still somewhat torn between a 23 and 26.

20. voyager4520

voyager4520

Oh you already have an M&P9c and a PF-9. I don't see the G26 filling a role you don't already have filled then. Even if you started preferring the G26 over the M&P9c(they're nearly identical in size) then the M&P9c would become a safe queen.

Have you considered a G30 or G36? The G30 is pretty much the same size as your 19 except it's wider(maybe too wide for carry but you might be able to manage it) and the grip is a little shorter if you use the 9-round magazines. The G36 is pretty much the same size except it's slimmer. Only bad thing about the G36 is that there's only one type of magazine for it, no magazines from a big brother that you could use for backups.