close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What serial number range/generation have the better supported 40S&W chamber

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Taykaim, Mar 11, 2010.

1. Taykaim

Taykaim NRA Member

I could swear I have seen a thread where the slight changes to the 40 chamber were pictured over time.

I'm looking to figure out when the newest chamber incarnation happened. It seems that if I'll be shooting reloads through it, getting the best supported chamber would be good.

Searches didn't find that thread, (or I didn't figure out the right thing to search for). If anyone knows that thread, that would also be great.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
  2. PBRLite

PBRLite

If you are shooting re-loaded .40 ammo in your glock you really need to get an aftermarket barrel that will have even more chamber support than a stock glock barrel.

3. Brucev

Brucev

I recall pictures of what you describe in a thread at this site. I can't help you with the serial number range involved. I would think that the most recent Glock production Gen. 3 & Gen. 4 would have this change to the chamber. From what I can see, a factory round chambered in my G-22RTF barrel shows good support. Once fired cartridge cases recovered from range time with my G-22 show no bulge such as some have reported when firing the .40 S&W. These fired casings do show the same sort of slight swelling identical to what is found with 45 ACP factory loads fired in my Springfield Armory .45 ACP Mil-Spec 1911.

4. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm

Let it be known the above statement is only an opinion. There are many Glock owners that reload .40s&w and fire it through stock barrels. I am one of many.

I don't reload any differently for my Glocks than I do any of my other 40's.

5. PBRLite

PBRLite

You're correct. It is just an opinion. I like to offer as much case support to my brass as possible. If I can use an aftermarket barrel and all but eliminate any case swelling and be able to use my brass over and over again....seems like a no brainer to me.

6. telecster

telecster

I reload for my G20sf and have looked for case bulge and have not seen any. I have loaded some pretty hot loads as well. None past posted max loads though.

7. easyg

easyg

Maybe search for "Kaboom" or "kabooms".

8. Paul_J

Paul_J

Butch has that picture of the barrels. I don't recall seeing manufacturing dates though.

9. Poppa Bear

Poppa Bear Protective G'pa CLM

My stock G35 barrel is tighter than my aftermarket KKM barrel by .001, but .003 tighter than my stock G23 barrel. G23 is from 1990? PXxxx while the G35 is a 2009 model.

10. mteagle1

mteagle1

You are talking apples and oranges. There is a difference between a tight chamber and an unsupported chamber. I checked a G27 and a G24 and less than a 32 of an inch is unsupported. That's a whole lot less than a 45ACP in a 1911 barrel.

I usually lose brass before I can reload it too many times and it is impossible to eliminate any case swelling.

11. PBRLite

PBRLite

Yup....

Apples on the left, oranges on the right

[​IMG]

And a look at the cases after being fired through corresponding barrels:

Apples on the left, oranges on the right
    [​IMG]