What rifle am I looking for?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by jtk, Mar 24, 2010.

1. jtk

jtk

Currently I own a Remington 700PSS .308 and S&W M&P-15T 5.56. I own these guns for hobby shooting, hunting and zombie/TEOTWAWKI situations. After shooting the two for a year and hunting whitetails this season with the Remmy I've decided to sell the two and consolidate the pros of each gun into one.

I want to sell the Remmy because it's a heavy bugger and I never visit ranges or go hunting where I shoot over 200m. I had prior interests in shooting matches but have now realized that I do not have the money to invest in a rifle to be competitive. The Smith AR just bores me. I've never had such a blah feeling shooting a gun at a range before. I have no real use for the caliber other than TEOTWAWKI.

My hunting needs require a gun that can easily make shots from 25m to 200m in dense Oklahoma bush. For the hunting I do, I'll never take a shot longer than that, it's just not possible on the land I hunt. I'd much prefer something lighter than my 26" barrel setup Remmy...I ONLY hunt whitetails and the occasional feral hog or coyote. I want to stay with the 7.62 caliber.

My TEOTWAWKI needs only include semi-auto capabilities and 20+ round detachable magazine capability. I want to stay with 7.62 for crossover hunting needs.

From what I can see, the guns I'd be looking at are either the M1A, FAL, or AR-10 variant...

I'm leaning HEAVILY towards the M1A scout...but the high cheek weld for any type of optic is scaring me away a bit. The DI system of most AR-10's doesn't appeal to me much either nor does the price of a quality piston AR-10. I love the mechanics of the FAL, but am worried about the accuracy. The lanes on our hunting property are cut to about 225m and those 200m shots are common. The minute of man accuracy I hear most FALs are capable of doesn't exactly equal an ethical hunting shot...however, I've been reading of quality built FALs that easily surpass the 2 moa mark.

I want to keep my purchase under $2000.

2. GreyEclipse

GreyEclipse TheGreyEclipse

Oh, man...

My response is going to be hard a one to make.
    An AR-15 5.56, a Remington 700 .308, a Ruger 10/22 and a 12Gauge shotgun.
    Those are all the long guns you'll ever need.

The Remington should have been a 20 inch barrel.
    You don't really get any extra accuracy out of 27inch.
    So you could have just bought a new barrel and been set.

So I don't truly understand why you sold two decent guns to buy one.
    But if I were you I would buy the M1A. Sorry, bud.

3. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

4. rgregoryb

rgregoryb Amerikaner

Fal............my DSA and STG 58 easily shoot under 2 moa 100yds

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  5. jtk

jtk

I've got the 10/22 and 12 gauge covered. As far as being the only long guns I'll need...they don't suit my purposes! I don't need the absolute deadnuts accuracy of a bolt gun...I don't hunt past 200m. If I'm ever in a situation where I need such a gun, I'll go a buy a 300wsm. And again, the 5.56 caliber isn't of much use to me...granted it would be "available" in a TEOTWAWKI situation...but in such a situation, I'd be as likely to find a full auto military issue rifle laying around as I would the ammo!

The rifles haven't been sold as of yet either...

6. Norske

Norske Millennium Member

I"ve got an M-1A Scout/Squad I put into a collapsing VLTOR stock. Adjustable cheek weld. Picatinny at 12/3/6/9 for optics, bipods, etc. Works for me.

7. Jim Watson

Jim Watson

Your best bet is an AR-10 type. The Remington R25 catalogs at 7.75 lbs. All those other military looking weapons are heavier, and you say you don't like the weight of your Remington 700Rss.

8. jtk

jtk

I didn't really consider the vltor or sage stock upgrades...any idea if I could expect 1moa accuracy with a vltor and stock scout? It could within my budget if I found the right used deal...

9. ronin.45

ronin.45

You would be very lucky to get 1moa from a scout rifle. They are not made for extreme accuracy. You might want to look at the loaded or match versions of the M1A. They will be more accurate but you will be saddled with a heavier gun.

1moa at 200 yards with a light short barreled gun is alot to ask. 2-3moa is much more realistic. I would look seriously at the AR-10 models since you are already used to that design.

10. dosei

dosei

Rock River Arms LAR-8 Varmint A4 20"
    Chambered for .308/7.62
    20" Stainless Bull Barrel, 1:10 twist
    1 MOA or better accuracy
    $1500.00

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=257

Or a DPMS in .308/7.62

Take a good long look at the rifles from RRA and DPMS, they both have several that fit your specs/price. Look over the specs and I think you will finds something to your liking...for instance the RRA Predator HP is very similar to the Varmint, but with a lighter barrel for a weight savings of almost 2 pounds (but still 1 MOA accurate).

11. jtk

jtk

I'm looking for reviews on both companies guns now dosei, thank you much.

12. jtk

jtk

There's a deal local to me for a DSA SA58 with Israel furniture for $1000 that has me thinking...

[​IMG]

Would you FAL owners out there feel that this rifle is capable of shooting a whitetail deer at 200m every time with added mount and optic? I feel a 2moa'ish rifle is within acceptable ethical boundaries for that range...

Again, this is a hunting rifle...it WILL get knocked around a bit. I'm worried perhaps that the higher priced M1A rifle features might be offset by the abuse the rifle will take...

However, I realize the M1A is issued to our military and has seen action in every major war for the last 60 years...so it's a damn tough gun.

I guess the question would be do the accuracy improving features of the higher end M1A's make them more "fragile"?

13. CHEF-LOU

CHEF-LOU

Wow, have them both and wouldn't want to trade either one. Just my opinion. Add to, don't take away.

14. dosei

dosei

The non-.308/7.62 gun from DPMS have a lot of bad reviews. But, aside from weight complaints (for the SASS), most everyone seems to praise the DPMS .308/7.62's for their quality and accuracy. One of the very best custom rifle builders, GA Precision, builds their Precision AR-10 using either an Armalite or DPMS as the foundation for the build.
    http://www.gaprecision.net/ga-precision-2010-custom-rifles/ga-precision-precision-ar-10.html

I have not come across as many reviews of the RRA LAR-8's (they just came out with them last year), but what I have found has been very positive.

15. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

+1 The M1a sounds like exactly what you want, except for it is on the heavy side but all semi .308s are.

I have to ask, what did you dislike about the M&P15?

16. jtk

jtk

I just don't have particular use for or really enjoy either rifle...I've shot other rifles that just gave me more "wow" factor and seemed better suited to my needs.

I also have ZERO collector mentality. I hate to own things I don't use. I also try not to buy things I don't really need. I can afford to keep all my guns but don't see much reason to...

I absolutely love my 10/22, g19 and polish AK. Those will always stay with me!

17. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Lifetime Member Millennium Member

You'd be fine with a 2X scope and a .30-30.

Or a Browning BLR in .308 with a 3-9X.

Higher-end possibilities? www.larueobr.com

18. jtk

jtk

I have absolutely nothing bad to say about the rifle. I've put 700 rounds down the pipe and have had zero malfunctions of any sort. Most of that was Wolf or old surplus. The one time I shot match ammo out of her she easily gave me sub MOA groups at 100m.

For whatever weird personal reason, the rifle just doesn't "do it" for me. For instance, my AK is a BLAST to shoot. My heart beats a little faster every time I shoot it. There's just something I enjoy about the AK that the AR doesn't do for me. Add to the fact I don't hunt any sort of animal in the range of the 5.56 caliber...

19. jtk

jtk

I'll be acquiring an old Winchester pre64 .30-30. when my father passes. Until then there is no other .30-30. for me! :supergrin:

But it kinda goes back to my minimalist nature. That's just adding another 1 purpose gun to the stable. Granted, 7 rounds of .30 is nothing to sneeze at, but why have that when I could have 20+ of 7.62 at my disposal?

Also, I don't want to come across as a TEOTWAWKI nut...In my lifetime hopefully I would never need that 20+ round capacity and doubt I would...and hell, I'm no soldier, I don't doubt that at TEOTWAWKI having a gun that carries that much more ammo won't mean I just won't die carrying a heavy *** gun! :biglaugh:

The large capacity is more about that range "wow" and fun factor.

And that LaRue is the sex...as are the Noveske's, POF's, LWRCI etc. But those all smash my budget by at least a grand!

20. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

I've got the 'off the wall' choice above. Pump 7600 carbine in .30-06, ten round aftermarket mags, 3x10x44 scope, cheekpiece and R3 pad.

it's 1.5-2MOA, fast on the second shot, and slightly over 9 lbs scoped, slung, & loaded. 39 inches long with 18.5 bbl.

entirely non tacticool even with black tip in it. :)