close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What riding lawn mower should I get?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by J. Parker, Mar 27, 2010.

1. J. Parker

J. Parker

Hey there,
    I've got about an acre of grass to mow and my Sears Craftsman finally went belly-up. What should I get this time around? John Deere, Troy-built, another Craftsman's, Husky, or other? I want to keep the price under $2,000.

~Thanks, John

2. dac1204

dac1204

one with a beer holder on it. That way when the cops pull you over you wont spill any.

3. FLglockdude

FLglockdude

:rofl:

4. ctaggart

ctaggart

Inspect the deck on the mower, that's probably the most important part. Heavy grade steel is best. I believe Cub Cadet has a garden hose hook up on the deck that allows you to keep it clean.

5. Vigilant

Vigilant

These days, crapsman's rep is in the toilet. Shop around for a nice used John Deere commercial grade mower, NOT the lowe's specials, the L series. I have a GT275 with a 17-HP Kawasaki engine that I paid $970 for, but I got a deal. It has a very strong 48" deck. I bought my father a used LX255 with a 42" deck and 170 hours on it for about the same money. Shop Craigslist and Ebay, and wait for a NICE older Deere. Treat it right, and it will last forever. It will also depreciate a WHOLE lot less than anything you buy new.

6. Glock30 Guy

Glock30 Guy XD40

I had 3 Craftsmen riders about 42" deck. Each lasted about 7 years. In that same time, my neighbor had 1 John Deere. Never an issue. I'd get one of those if the extra cost is affordable.

7. rake

rake

I mow about 2 acres with a Cub Cadet. I've had it about 4 years now and have had no problems. It's a 22 hp with a 46" deck, hydrostatic drive. Under $2000 at the time I bought it, and that included bags. I don't know where in Wash you are, but I bought mine in Spanaway, at Ron Jones Power Equipment. For the same price, Lowes would have dropped off the mower in a box. Ron Jones dropped it off fully assembled, with oil & gas, and spent about 1/2 hour going over operation and maintenance with me.

Rick

8. racer11

racer11

9. BobbyS

BobbyS Truth always sounds like lies to a sinner

Just don't let the cops from the other riding lawnmower thread catch you drinkin a beer while you are on it!

:faint:

10. costanza187

costanza187 I like Macs

:rofl: FTW

11. zoyter2

zoyter2 Yeah, so what?

I can't stress the part in red enough. If you are going to buy a JB or other "high end" mower at Lowe's, my advice is to go ahead and shop at Walmart. You will get the same quality as a elcheapo JD, at half the price. Buy two and they will last much longer.

If you buy a JD from Lowes, the only thing the is REALLY the same is the green paint. And that is much thinner on the Lowes special.

12. Cecil56

Cecil56

You have that right. Take that Lowes, Home Depot, whatever cheap JD cast off back to them for repair, not your local JD dealership. JD has some really nice equipment, how they got into selling and ruining THEIR name on that low-ball Walmart priced stuff....is beyond me. :upeyes: Actually I DO KNOW, it's some college educated bean counters JD hired. They have no clue on good machinery and the long term customer loyalty, even though it costs more. I personally, would rather explain why my product costs 50 % more, but lasts 200 % longer.

By the way, I'm the service manager of a JD dealership. The JD branch manager hit me up on doing warranty work on those cheapies. I objected, knowing they are a piece of crap. His counter offer...I could upsale them to a BETTER model! I won't sell crap to anybody, that I will not sell to my friend, neighbor or family. Oh ya, my dealership won't perform warranty work on them either for JD or Home Depot. :tongueout:

13. ede

ede Bama's Friend

agree, mine was only 9000$ over his budget 5 or 6 years ago and all i have is a mower, no other attachments.

14. Flying-Dutchman

Flying-Dutchman

Get a used Kubota Diesel.

If you are taking the disposable tractor route go used.

You can find one of those cheapie disposable lawn tractors like an MTD on craigslist for $300-$400 that may last you many years or may not.

If you get 1 or 2 seasons out of it before the hydrostatic detonates you are ahead.

15. pac201

pac201

Scag or Kubota.

16. walt cowan

walt cowan

home depot has illegals that will hand cut your lawn $2.25 an hour.

17. mnglocker

mnglocker Rope Czar

This. Any rider under $4k NIB is going to be a disposable crap box. I run this equipment for a living, take it from a pro.

18. JLA

JLA

Agreed..... Also, the newer JD's have this option as well

19. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

If I were to get another, It'd be that Cubby with the hose hookup. What a bonus that is.

20. 88_gurgel

88_gurgel

http://www.countryclipper.com/boss.html

For when you can't get the job done fast enough.
    My parents have the 27 hp v-twin model. The thing will actually mow at transport speed if you can stay in the seat! :wow:

If you used it on your acre, by my calculations you could be done in 7.5 minutes.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010