GlockTalk Forum banner

101 - 120 of 204 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Greetings Gray-Rider. In the Gravest Extreme. I am old enough to have read MA’s writings for nearly 40 years. I did forget, its that age thing, i have 2 very cool, vintage, upside down Shoulder holsters. The seller of the colt cobra gave me a cobra holster he used to wear to carry the cobra and i came across a galco, i think, for up to 3” j frames on a board and had a shoe repair shop replace the elastic shoulder strap. But they wear a bit too far under the arm pit instead of out in front. lt. Bullit, here i come.

·
USN Retired
7,542 Posts
As a primary or backup, what holster?
I’m thinking about picking one up this week, assuming the prices are not unreasonable.

Anyone have the LCR .38?
I do. The version with the Hogue - CT laser, boot grip.
When attire does not allow the G26 to be carried in a Crossbreed Supertuck, the LCR goes in my right, front pocket in a cheap pocket holster. I hardly know its 13 ounces are there.
I shoot left handed, but with Plus P ammo, the LCR snaps up, far enough for my knuckle to hit the cylinder lock and remove it from battery. That's why it's carried in the right pocket.
No such problem with regular ammo.

Reactions: rock_castle

·
Registered
628 Posts
Your backup needs to be easily carried and concealed and a semi-auto wins for being flatter.

As for .38+P, the +P still leaves it below ordinary 9mm and that doesn't even address the higher capacity and faster reload (and easier carrying spare ammo) of a semi-auto.

I love revolvers, but they aren't practical to carry unless you are either getting a lot more power than your semi-auto. Otherwise, it's just for show. There are at least 9 or 10 revolvers in my guns safe, but I don't carry them because there is no practical reason they are as good as a semi-auto.

Finally, if you are going to carry a revolver because revolvers look cool, why pick the ugliest revolver on the market?
Bren, I used to have similar thoughts re wheel guns vs semi-auto's until a colleague of mine invited me to try this simple test several years ago: take an old coat/jacket and see how many shots you can fire with your semi-auto from inside the side pocket. In my experience, revolvers do have a practical advantage when carried in a jacket pocket, hand on the gun and capable of firing close range shots without having to draw and free the gun from potential interference with the firing cycle. Here's a link to my friend's book. I don't agree with everything he wrote, but there's plenty of good points in favor of the revolver. https://www.amazon.com/Snubby-Revol...=1603479141&sprefix=the+snubby,aps,153&sr=8-1

·
Registered
30,843 Posts
Bren, I used to have similar thoughts re wheel guns vs semi-auto's until a colleague of mine invited me to try this simple test several years ago: take an old coat/jacket and see how many shots you can fire with your semi-auto from inside the side pocket. In my experience, revolvers do have a practical advantage when carried in a jacket pocket, hand on the gun and capable of firing close range shots without having to draw and free the gun from potential interference with the firing cycle. Here's a link to my friend's book. I don't agree with everything he wrote, but there's plenty of good points in favor of the revolver. https://www.amazon.com/Snubby-Revolver-Backup-Concealed-Standard/dp/1581605714/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1TZ0YWSZSBIBK&dchild=1&keywords=the+snubby+revolver+ed+lovette&qid=1603479141&sprefix=the+snubby,aps,153&sr=8-1
That is def. an advantage of a smaller revolver, but that's about the only important one, IMO.

Reactions: jr24

·
l'Italia s'è desta
7,379 Posts
09107C15-1AA4-4E0C-B360-5272C12721C4.jpeg

431PD. Six rounds of .32 magnum goodness. If the weather ever gets cool enough, I’ll be carrying it in a shoulder holster with two speed loaders. Until then when I carry it, it’s usually in a back pocket holster with one speed loader in my pocket.

·
Registered
6,947 Posts
I'd say there are at least a couple more, such as:
-Cannot be pushed out of battery.
-Not ammo dependent, so it can fire without a good grip, and not malfunction (and a dud round can be skipped).
Unless the bad ammo pops a loose primer or slides out of chamber and binds the cylinder. Both things have happened to me with less than perfect ammo.

Fixable, easier with modern revolvers over my Vaquero, but slower to get figured out than a tap-rack-bang.

Still, your point does stand in general.

I do like to carry my snubby in a "hand warmer" type pocket when I have to wear my heavy duty parka, but even so don't like to do so without a holster, so firing from the pocket is still a bit problematic.

·
Registered
6,947 Posts
Hilarious responses about recoil of the LCR. Wife is 70 yrs old, 115 lbs and at 10 yards can put 5 rounds in the head of the silhoette target faster than you can say scat. Factory Win. white box ammo.
Ok, my wife is in her 30s and can run a .357 mag with full power loads quite well.

Shot the .38 LCR (with weak loads) 3 times and won't touch it again.

I find mine less pleasant to shoot than a .44 with real hot loads (Garrett hammerheads 310 grain hardcast @1380 from my old 4" Redhawk) or nuclear 10mm or .357 from proper guns. It's not recoil, per say, it just feels like I'm whacking my hands with a 2 x 4.

It is accurate enough up close and pretty easy to rapidly dump 5 shots in a plate, that is true.

·
USMC (MOS 0369) (RVN 69-70)
2,439 Posts
Well my wife is 109 years old and enjoys all day range sessions with her .44 Magnum snubbies. Also enjoys long range shooting with her 300 Win Mag rifles.

Reactions: glock1097 and jr24

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Unless the bad ammo pops a loose primer or slides out of chamber and binds the cylinder. Both things have happened to me with less than perfect ammo.

Fixable, easier with modern revolvers over my Vaquero, but slower to get figured out than a tap-rack-bang.

Still, your point does stand in general.

I do like to carry my snubby in a "hand warmer" type pocket when I have to wear my heavy duty parka, but even so don't like to do so without a holster, so firing from the pocket is still a bit problematic.
Yeah I've had bullets pull themselves from the case and lock up the cylinder (more common with lightweight revolvers). I've also had case heads that were ill fitting and locked up the cylinder, as well as debris under the extractor causing problems. But the tendency for those problems has been rather low, especially within the first cylinder fired.
If someone is physically being assaulted and a melee ensues, if deadly force is called for a small snub nose is about the perfect weapon to have. It's a great backup to a G19 or something similar.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
As a primary or backup, what holster?
I’m thinking about picking one up this week, assuming the prices are not unreasonable.

Anyone have the LCR .38?
I carry the LCR with boot grip in a pocket holster all the time. I like it. I find the recoil brisk, but not totally unpleasant. The load you choose makes a difference. Trigger is nice and sight picture decent, but I did add a fiber optic front sight.

·
Registered
488 Posts
S&W 649 steel J with Rem .357 SJHP 158gr in 2.125" barrel does 1125 fps expands consistently to .60. Backup or more often primary, in a Don Hume leather pocket holster. Have on me now.

101 - 120 of 204 Posts