GlockTalk Forum banner

61 - 80 of 204 Posts

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
I have a S&W 637 and 642. Both are Performance Center Actions. Been carrying S&W frames at timers since the summer of 1964. My prize J frame is my Model 60 purchased new in the fall of 1968. The Mod 60 has been a safe queen for years and it is going to my grandson when I depart the planet. Regards to all at GT and you have to be careful out there.

·
Anti-Federalist
17,736 Posts
I love me some revolvers but they are primarily relegated to woods carry as the critter gitter as there are better options for urban carry IMO.

This has been most recent companion in it's namesake Galco Combat Master.

GCM.jpg
K6Left.jpg
K6Right.jpg

·
Registered
6,769 Posts
LCR travels with me often in a pocket holster. I do shoot it regularly, but typically with down loaded ammo for range fodder. It does hurt a bit to shoot full power, but I do run a few hotter reloads at the range just to stay acclimated.

The trigger pleasantly surprised me, as well as its accuracy. An RCBS Keith style cast bullet will plink the plates at 100 and 200 meters, offhand, when I do my part.

Absolutely no issues with it. I'm not allergic to plastic.

·
Registered
493 Posts
And yet, everyone participating in this thread is alive and kicking regardless of your opinion and their choice of carry gun.

Give it a rest.

Your backup needs to be easily carried and concealed and a semi-auto wins for being flatter.

As for .38+P, the +P still leaves it below ordinary 9mm and that doesn't even address the higher capacity and faster reload (and easier carrying spare ammo) of a semi-auto.

I love revolvers, but they aren't practical to carry unless you are either getting a lot more power than your semi-auto. Otherwise, it's just for show. There are at least 9 or 10 revolvers in my guns safe, but I don't carry them because there is no practical reason they are as good as a semi-auto.

Finally, if you are going to carry a revolver because revolvers look cool, why pick the ugliest revolver on the market?

·
Registered
397 Posts
As a primary or backup, what holster?
I’m thinking about picking one up this week, assuming the prices are not unreasonable.

Anyone have the LCR .38?
I recently switched to a smaller caliber in OWB.

It’s concealable in the sense that most people aren’t paying close enough attention to notice the bulges.

What this setup is is FAST. I’ve seen all sorts of bickering over gun minutia, but I figure whoever is the first guy on target is going to have a distinct advantage regardless of the details. These kinda floppy OWB holsters with less than 2 inches of barrel inside practically deliver the gun to your hand.

Attachments

·
NRA Life Member
63,403 Posts
And yet, everyone participating in this thread is alive and kicking regardless of your opinion and their choice of carry gun.

Give it a rest.
What would be the point in a discussion if there was only one side? I gave you an opinion supported by rational arguments and you seem to be mad about it.

·
With Liberty and Justice for all.
20,478 Posts
Not in a million years. Revolvers have no plastic parts, unless it's a little orange insert in the front sight. If somebody visited my house with an LCR, I'd ask them to leave it outside.

I own S&W revolvers and like Colts, but I wouldn't carry one in a caliber less than .357 or .44 special.

Why carry a .38 that is less powerful than a 9mm, holds 5-6 rounds and takes 3-6 seconds to reload, when for less money you can carry at least a 9mm that holds way more rounds and takes 2 seconds to reload?
Convenience and ease of carry. It's not supposed to be for storming a radical Islamic stronghold. It's a tool to get out of trouble. For many of us, our threat level is evidently much lower than yours. Thats ok.

·
20,478 Posts
Talk about minimalist holsters!
The cheap nylon pocket holsters from Uncle Mike's and Blackhawk are the best I've found for small snubbies. Kydex is uncomfortable and most others like Mika and DeSantis add too much bulk. Sometimes simple and cheap is best. At least that is my experience. YMMV.

·
NRA Life Member
63,403 Posts
Convenience and ease of carry. It's not supposed to be for storming a radical Islamic stronghold. It's a tool to get out of trouble. For many of us, our threat level is evidently much lower than yours. Thats ok.
My point was, if you choose to carry a .38 spl you are choosing less convenience and ease of carry, while also getting less power and capacity and slower reloads. That is not a logical decision. I carried revolvers for many years and I don't recall that big cylinder ever being easier to conceal than my Glock 43.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I’m a S&W J-Frame guy, too. Mine is a M638 Airweight. I use it for when threats are low, or as a backup to my Glock 32. Revolvers don’t require magazines, they don’t sling brass everywhere, have a more organic shape (doesn’t print like a gun), and the manual of arms is super simple (no double-feeds, failure to feeds, or stove pipes). It’s a great piece if you just need to break contact. It’s another tool for a particular purpose. No single firearm is a panacea. We have to develop tactics to match our equipment and whatever situation we may find ourselves in...

D7AF040A-9CC4-4E76-B1C8-8E62D643A25E.jpeg

·
20,478 Posts
My point was, if you choose to carry a .38 spl you are choosing less convenience and ease of carry, while also getting less power and capacity and slower reloads. That is not a logical decision. I carried revolvers for many years and I don't recall that big cylinder ever being easier to conceal than my Glock 43.
I don't have a G43 so I can't comment on that particular gun. I do own a P365 and a Hellcat. Both are great pistols but they just don't pocket carry as well as a J Frame. They are heavier, they print more, and they are harder to draw smoothly. I will concede that they are easier to shoot accurately at longer distances, but I just don't see needing to hit a small target at 40 yards. Even though I carry a speed strip I don't see a reload as a possibility either. As I said before, my carry gun is my get out of trouble tool. I'll let LE go after the bad guys.

61 - 80 of 204 Posts