GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 204 Posts

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a primary or backup, what holster?
I’m thinking about picking one up this week, assuming the prices are not unreasonable.

Anyone have the LCR .38?

·
NRA Life Member
64,196 Posts
Anyone have the LCR .38?
Not in a million years. Revolvers have no plastic parts, unless it's a little orange insert in the front sight. If somebody visited my house with an LCR, I'd ask them to leave it outside.

I own S&W revolvers and like Colts, but I wouldn't carry one in a caliber less than .357 or .44 special.

Why carry a .38 that is less powerful than a 9mm, holds 5-6 rounds and takes 3-6 seconds to reload, when for less money you can carry at least a 9mm that holds way more rounds and takes 2 seconds to reload?

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not in a million years. Revolvers have no plastic parts, unless it's a little orange insert in the front sight. If somebody visited my house with an LCR, I'd ask them to leave it outside.

I own S&W revolvers and like Colts, but I wouldn't carry one in a caliber less than .357 or .44 special.

Why carry a .38 that is less powerful than a 9mm, holds 5-6 rounds and takes 3-6 seconds to reload, when for less money you can carry at least a 9mm that holds way more rounds and takes 2 seconds to reload?
Backup...
Also, .38 +p preforms very well.

·
finishes it...
3,795 Posts
have ccw'd 3rd gen 27 for roughly a decade; however, past couple years 442 has seen more carry time...

·
Registered
176 Posts
Bren is correct. That being said I have a 642 airweight that I'm fond of. It has its place in the rotation. I also have a lcr in 9mm. It has decent ballistics, and loads with moon clips. I have not experienced crimp jump or bent moon clips. Kicks like a mule. I quite like it. Its nice to train with a revolver every once in a while. And, Bren is correct.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I have a Smith 638 and a 9mm LCR. The LCR goes on short trips because it’s easy to stash and I like the quicker reloads with moon clips. It DOES indeed kick like a mule, but the 638 is no slouch in that department. Either will do

·
Registered
298 Posts
I have a LCR 38 and a SW 642. Both great revolvers. But I always have 3 guns with me. 642, 365, and 26. They just fit me.

·
Registered
7,086 Posts
None. Bottom feeders for me.

I do have a .38 LCR and I dislike it. Slaps the palms worse that my .44 mag with hot loads. Very unpleasant to shoot, and the thick hogue grips conceal worse than a Glock 26 (on me).

Only use I have for the Ruger is to "warm up" my hands for hot .44 or nuclear 10mm. Both feel nice and tame after a couple dozen weak loaded .38 in my LCR.

·
Registered
38 Posts
If I don't have a G-26 in a OWB holster, I have a 642 in my front pocket. I believe Lucky Gunner has some pretty good gel ballistic tests for these 5 shot .38 revolvers. Surprisingly the ballistics aren't too bad. Admitting it's no G-26, but it sure is easy to drop one in your front pocket. And yes, I practice with it.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
I occasionally carry either a S&W Model 442 in a Galco Sto-n-go IWB holster, or a Ruger SP101 .357 Magnum in a Ruger branded, leather IWB holster (found on Ruger website).

I enjoy carrying a revolver when it's practical.

·
Mr. Awesome
10,436 Posts
I carry a S&W 442 more than anything else, nowadays. I think it’s a great piece of equipment.

·
Registered
6,933 Posts
I carry a Ruger SP-101 38 in the pocket or four O'clock in a Milt Sparks Summer Special IWB. The weight is good for my accuracy. I have one in .327 mag as well. One of these days I'll get one in .357.

·
Registered
5,625 Posts
As a primary or backup, what holster?
I’m thinking about picking one up this week, assuming the prices are not unreasonable.
As a lawman I carried a revolver as a backup.

But as a primary off duty carry. An incident I had in 1982 convinced me to carry 'enough' gun. So since then, Browning High Power, Beretta 92FS, Colt 1911 and now Glock 19.

To paraphrase the late, great Col. Jeff Cooper, owning a gun doesn’t make you a gunfighter anymore than owning a guitar makes you a musician. :cop:

1 - 20 of 204 Posts