Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm liking this GSSF thing so I want to get myself a decent range box , maybe with a drawer, that will hold 3 or more pistols ammo, cleaning stuff and a ton of mags. I'll put on a luggage roller so it doesnt have to be out of tungsten or "super" light, but I should be able to lift up to a table. Thanks for any advice or things you may have seen at other GSSF tournaments.

·
Registered
13,671 Posts
i've been to a few GSSF matches and never seen anything with a drawer. seldom see a hard case. i use a Pelican case to get my stuff from home to the range and then use a range bag or two for transport at the range. i use a small 5.11 tool bag for spare ammo that never leaves the car. guns, mags, and everything else goes in the bags. 5.11 makes a pretty nice bag, Midway makes a good cheap one you see a lot of people use. Dillon bags are very nice. I think the best bags you'll find come from Chuck Bradley at Shooters Connection.

·
Bustin Caps
6,927 Posts
I agree with Ed, yet to see a "box" at any match. Most use bags. Many of the bags have pistol compartments or even removable padded pouches to keep the guns in and protected. Ammo goes in the center compartment, lots of space for mags. I use the smaller Midway bag that Ed spoke of, even though I own the larger one also.

·
Pathetic Loser
745 Posts
ede or one of you other "veterans"- you'll have to help me out here- there was a guy from I wanna say Northern Indiana/ Michigan(I think he was a big Noter Dame fan?) Jeeze i can't recall his name...anyhow, SUPER nice guy, and you talk about ORGANIZED!!!!
He had a plastic tote box for each pistol and it's mags-rolled them around on a luggage cart. Every mag was filled just right...anyhow he NEVER had trouble finding something..One box, one gun and enough mags to do the category...think he left shooting to do horses with his daughter?
He was the best organized I ever saw.

·
20,432 Posts
I have been shooting GSSF since 1999 and I have never seen anyone with a range box, although I have often used a black aluminum attache case for the fun of it. Most multiple pistol shooters use large range bags. Depending on the layout of the range, i often haul a yellow utility wagon in my van and load it up with my shooting bag, folding chair, cooler and umbrella. I carry 10 mags per entry, all loaded in advance, and 50 extra rounds per entry in case I might have to re-shoot a stage.

Keep in mind that at most GSSF outdoor matches there is a lot of distance separating the three stages. You may not have a table available on which to set a range box.

·
Florida's Left Coast
9,516 Posts
...you talk about ORGANIZED!!!!
He had a plastic tote box for each pistol and it's mags... Every mag was filled just right...anyhow he NEVER had trouble finding something..One box, one gun and enough mags to do the category... He was the best organized I ever saw.
That's what I do for any competition I shoot.

This box (although Remington branded and $9.95 at Wal-Mart):
http://images1.opticsplanet.com/180-180-ffffff/opplanet-plano-molding-1612-98-field-box.png
With these mag pouches in the 6-mag variety:
http://spinstage.http.internapcdn.net/Spinstage/userdocs/products/p_151199001_1.jpg
With the gun in one of these 10" soft pistol bags:
http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/medium/165/165008.jpg

The 6-mag magazine pouch fits the dry box length perfectly. Five pouches side-by-side fit into the box giving the box a capacity of 30 mags. The bagged gun fits perfectly on top of the 5 mag pouches. All mags are numbered and arranged numerically within the pouch... 1 thru 6, 7 thru 12, etc. Depending on the range setup, when approaching each stage I can walk up to the line with a bagged gun and one pouch - or bring the box and set it beside me.

I put one pouch on the bench and remove mags as I need them to load and reload. After I 'shoot' the mag, I reverse the orientation of the mag to place it back in the mag sleeve within the pouch, then grab the next full one in order. I can keep track of exactly where I am with this system regarding mags. With 30 mags loaded prior to match arrival, I can generally shoot all day long, carrying only that single dry box (and eyes & ears, of course).

The box has a separate top compartment where I can separate mags that I may have dropped in the sand, put occasional loose rounds, or put my truck keys.

Most of the folks I shoot with think I'm a bit anal, but I'm never the one to slow down the line.

And yes, 1 box, 1 gun - which are already loaded up for tomorrow's IDPA practice, and Wednesday's Steel practice. (Two different guns - two different boxes.) My range bag, armorer's bag, and kitchen sink generally remain in the truck.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I use a small range bag (LAPG bailout bag) to transport 2-3 pistols and all associated mags & ammo around the GSSF matches. There are GLOCK Armorer's on site if something goes South and I'm not planning to clean anything between stages anyway.

IF I had to though I have a few very basic tools, cleaning items, and lube in my range bag. Also in my bag is a camera, a couple of bottles of water, and some Cliff bars. Honestly, I think a lot of folks go overboard. You don't really need the kitchen sink on the firing line with you. Leave all that stuff in your car and head to the parking lot if necessary.

·
Registered
13,671 Posts
rikki, you're thinking of Dennis Horvath, aka festus.

as for my system for shooting GSSF i've used two bags for years and bring around 60 loaded mags to a match. i have mags for the 5TG marked on the mags and the M and plate mags aren't marked. i use rubber bands to hold my mags in groups of 3 or 4 for each stage. i know if a group of mags are rubber banded together they good and if not have been used.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
ede or one of you other "veterans"- you'll have to help me out here- there was a guy from I wanna say Northern Indiana/ Michigan(I think he was a big Noter Dame fan?) Jeeze i can't recall his name...anyhow, SUPER nice guy, and you talk about ORGANIZED!!!!
He had a plastic tote box for each pistol and it's mags-rolled them around on a luggage cart. Every mag was filled just right...anyhow he NEVER had trouble finding something..One box, one gun and enough mags to do the category...think he left shooting to do horses with his daughter?
He was the best organized I ever saw.
YEA, he is real orginized!!!! So organized he left his pistol on the shooters table at the first Ft. Smith GSSF match a couple of years ago!:wow:
Hey Festus, you know I had to tell the truth on that one!:supergrin:
But he is a great guy and we miss seeing him these days!:crying:

Dan:cool:

·
Registered
13,671 Posts
I left a pistol in a small case in Lexington a few years back. I baged it and then sat my range bag on top of it so when I grabbed my range bag to go I didn't see the pistol. I figured it out at the next stage when the RO said I could take my gun out and I didn't have one.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
I left a pistol in a small case in Lexington a few years back. I baged it and then sat my range bag on top of it so when I grabbed my range bag to go I didn't see the pistol. I figured it out at the next stage when the RO said I could take my gun out and I didn't have one.
C.H.O.R.S.??????:supergrin:

·
Pathetic Loser
745 Posts
DEJ... I would just have "assumed" it was a gift he left for you????:whistling:

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
DEJ... I would just have "assumed" it was a gift he left for you????:whistling:
I wouldn't do that to Festus, he's been a good friend! Sure do miss his smiling face at the matches theses days!:crying:

·
Registered
627 Posts
The last time I looked on Friday, Midway had their Large range bag on Sale for $39.00 in OD or Black.
They also have their smaller size for $29.00

Look in the Closeout section.
The Large Bag has a pull out center that is a range bag for the event that you are shooting with handles. It also has Two nice size pistol rugs.
One large compartment also is set up to hold mag.
A great Deal
Hope this helps:wavey:

·
Hilljack
2,701 Posts
Due to a bad case of tennis elbow, I couldn't carry my large range bag anymore a couple of years ago. Little bit heavy when you shoot 4 or 5 categories. My solution was to use a Black and Decker plastic rolling tool cart. I added home made axle extensions to use removable larger wheels. As far as the pistols themselves, I use part containers with removable inserts. I can put a pistol and enough mags to shoot each particular class in each part container. May look like hell but I don't care. Easy for me to roll it around. Plus it keeps everything organized and protected. Even during the monsoon at Brighton a couple of years ago everything stayed pretty well dry.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts