Glock Talk banner

What pistol would you have picked for the MHS Pistol?

542 Views 17 Replies 14 Participants Last post by  tomrkba
Happy Veterans Day!

If you could have picked the next MHS Pistol, being a 9mm, what would you have picked?

The Sig M17/18, Glock 19X, Beretta M9A3/4, Beretta APX, S&W M&P, FN FNS, Detonics STX, Kriss Sphinx, or something else?

I feel the Glock 19X and Beretta M9A4 would have been better, but cost was factor for the Pentagon.

Reactions: rfd339
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
2,013 Posts
Happy Veterans Day!

If you could have picked the next MHS Pistol, being a 9mm, what would you have picked?

The Sig M17/18, Glock 19X, Beretta M9A3/4, Beretta APX, S&W M&P, FN FNS, Detonics STX, Kriss Sphinx, or something else?

I feel the Glock 19X and Beretta M9A4 would have been better, but cost was factor for the Pentagon.

Browning Hi Power, Glock 17, 19 or 45. Any would be just fine, but the Hi Power would be great.

· On the day of your birth death began stalking you
10,785 Posts
Beretta M9A4

· Registered
5,733 Posts
M&P 2.0
Vertebrate Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory

But that's just because I'm a S&W fan.

In terms of all-around reliability and ruggedness, I probably would have said either Glock or FN before I found out that the FNS stops working when wet.* So, that leaves Glock.

* Yes, yes, I know I'm exaggerating excessively and a momentary delay for draining after full immersion isn't the same as being splashed by a few raindrops, but it still isn't an encouraging issue.

· Registered
531 Posts
Soldiers are generally not well trained in a sidearm unless they are an MP or a Tanker, or some MOS that requires carrying a handgun all of the time, as the sidearm is not something every Joe (or Jane) is issued and not a primary weapon for most. In the first Gulf War our Chemo (Chemical Officer) almost shot the SGT Major in Tent city in the port while we were waiting for our tanks to be delivered. He was cleaning it and cycled the weapon to clear it before dropping the mag. In my last deployment (OIF), I had to take up M9s from 3 different soldiers, two shot clearing barrels and one shot through the door on one NTV (non tactical vehicle, i.e: a civilian van) and into the tire of another NTV parked next to it, all because of dumb mistakes.

This was with a double/single action pistol with a large slide mounted safety. I have to wonder how many NGs will occur with a striker fired pistol in the hands of poorly trained troops in the next war. At least with the M9 there is that initial long double action pull to maybe give them time to not shoot something they don't intend to shoot.

Hopefully the military will up it's sidearm training to reflect the interest in fielding a new sidearm. Somehow I doubt it.

Reactions: Cav
1 - 18 of 18 Posts