close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What PC should i get?

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by batangueno, Dec 10, 2004.

1. batangueno

batangueno Shock Resist

Any suggestions where can i buy? Pentium or Athlon? DVD or CD writer? How much memory, what video card, monitor, and whatever specs you think i should get?

Basically, i would need the PC for surfing, gaming, picture/video storage with a little bit of editing.

Thanks.

2. Eye Cutter

Eye Cutter

i have a friend who has a pc store and his prices are a bit higher than most but you can get it at lay away plans and the aftermarket support and warranty is top notch. his shop is in Banawe, medyo malayo lang sa iyo. i think saruman knows some suppliers also.

3. batangueno

batangueno Shock Resist

You're right importante nga pala rin yung aftermarket support and warranty since you'll never know when i virus might hit the PC or even a disk crash.

Ang problema ko lang talaga yung specs kung anong maganda. Kung sa baril lang eh madaling pumili. ;f

4. gunfool

gunfool

di na kasi ako masyadong updated sir pero kung gusto mo check so sa MIS namin kung ano latest. i bought mine kasi 5 years back puro high end kaya umabot ng 100K. Heto yung specs: "Creative" (brand) DVD,CDRW, Sound Blaster Platinum 5.1 sound card with external drive then Creative 6.1 speakers (home theather), samsung 17" flat monitor. superb ito sir kung pang games at sounds. pero if i were you sir, hwag masyadong high end kasi after a year or two obsolete na naman yan. try this link nandyan lahat kelangan mo. http://www.creative.com/products/welcome.asp?category=1

5. seipherdj

seipherdj DiE gAS PuMpeR

6. 9MX

9MX Rei!

i got my set up from pc express last year:

pentium or athlon? - for your usage, get the pentium. mine is pentiume 4, 1.8Ghz
    cd burner - get two, one for dvd writing to maximize your sony handycam. i'm using the liteon brand for both, oks naman. though my burner is pang vcd lang.

monitor - i got the one made by MAG 17", i'm satisfied
    video card and memory- mco would have a better idea. but get branded ones for memory. with your projected usage, i don't think you can go lower than 512kb

mother board - get the one made by asus
    modem - kahit made in taiwan na P500.00 oks na yun, thats what i use

yun nga lang sa pc express, they don't install unlicensed software so you're on your own

:)

7. FAlvar

FAlvar I love Iya

It depends kabayan. What do you plan to do on your PC? If you're going to play Doom 3 online then you need one of those Alienware makinas. Likewise if you plan on doing alot of multimedia work, not just playing MP3s or watching movies but manipulating high res photographs, sound or video. If your needs are more like us, internet, a game of Rise of Nations once in awhile, MS Office apps, playing MP3s and movies etc.etc. then you will be well served by a PC specd to last year's cutting edge. That's what I do when I build my desktops. Saves alot of money vice getting the latest and the greatest.

I have a laptop right now BTW. Obviously I did not build it.

Let's assume that you just want an everyday desktop PC.

First of all pick a processor brand: Intel or AMD? I use AMD when friends ask me to build them a "casual user" machine. It works well enough. The PC I use as my gateway to the internet is an AMD based machine. It's very stable. I haven't turned it off for over a year now. I like Intel also, I use Intel CPUs for game machines. I don't use Intel Celeron. No reason. Just never warmed to it.

For speed. I would get a 2 to 2.4 GHz CPU.

Hard drive space, heck at LEAST 100 Gigs! Don't think it's too much. I just checked my MP3 folder, I have 12 gigs worth of music. Then there's my home videos (of me shooting, bastos ka!)Goodness knows how much Ideepthroat.com videos I have saved here also ;f My point is it builds up quick. MS Office alone will wipe out 1 gig.

Memory, at least 512 Megs. Windoze XP runs pretty slow with 256 Megs RAM so don't chintz on this.

Floppy drive (for those dinosaur friends of yours)

DVD burner, dual layer capable. These big hard drives need alot of room when you archive them.

Motherboard that supports your processor. The store should be able to help you with this.

A case

AGP video card. I like ATI Radeon and NVidia GeForce 128 Megs should be plenty. I still have a Riva TNT2 with 32 Megs. Aba, magaling pa rin ako sa Counterstrike!

Sound card. I am a Sound Blaster kinda guy (Creative brand). The "Live!" should be plenty. Most motherboards integrate the sound na these days kaya this might not be an issue.

Network card kung broadband ka or modem kung PLDT ka (me PLDT pa ba?). Again, most motherboards will have these thing built in.

Decent speakers. I have no preferences. If I want to listen to loud music, I turn on the home stereo. My stereo is also "network aware" so it reads the MP3s from my laptop and plays them.

Monitor, I am assuming na you will just take the old one and re use it? Ditto with daga and keyboard?

Something I recommend if you have broadband internet: Build a wireless network. This way you can set your desktop up anywhere in the house and not be slaved to a cable connection (except power of course).

Okay I think that's it. I hope I didn't miss anything. If I did somebody will pipe in shortly for sure.

*edit* Oh yeah, the Operating System. Windows XP. My gateway AMD PC uses Win Me. Nobody writes viruses for it anymore ano?

8. gunfool

gunfool

here's mine sorry for the pic quality di tuloy masyadong nakita yung subwoofer sa baba ng printer.

[​IMG]

9. batangueno

batangueno Shock Resist

Thanks for all the info, it would be a lot of help. At least when i step into a computer shop i would know what to look and ask for. :)

10. Saruman

Saruman I carry a GLOCK

Intel Pentium 4 3.0E Ghz 1MB * 10,700

"Motherboard should be Intel also that matches the BUS speed of your processor or the clones na Asus with the same matching chipset for the said processor."

40 GB Seagate 7200rpm (2-yr wty) 3,000
    80 GB Seagate 7200rpm (2-yr wty) 3,750
    *Get 2 drives for system and data or get just 1 and partition to desired capacity.

512MB DDR 400 PQI (2-yr wty) 4,200
    512MB DDR 400 PQI (2-yr wty) 4,200
    or
    1GB GEIL DDR400 (Value Ram)(Dual) (2-yr wty) * 10,500
    *For intended purpose, minimum 1GB of RAM or higher.. sa XP Pro palang na OS ubos na 512MB mo.

Inno3D Gforce 6600 PCI Express 128MB 256Bit * 9,500
    or
    Inno3D FX6800 GT 256Mb 256Bit *"PANG GAMERS!" 24,000
    *Depends on the games you want to play.. But the minimum for new games now is 64MB "GAPANG PA!"

LG GSA-4082B Multi- DVD Writer (8X) * 5,950
    Liteon SOHW-1653S 16X Dual Layer (Internal) * 7,100
    Liteon SOHW-1633SX 16X Dual Layer (Internal) *12,000
    *Your choice on CD/DVD Burner

Creative Soundblaster Ectiva 5.1 (SE) * 1,350
    Creative Soundblaster Live DE 5.1 2,200
    *Your choice also for sound.

19" AOC 9KLR * 8,800
    19" MAG 986FS * 8,300
    19" Samsung 997DF * 12,700
    *Parepareho lang yan. Unless mag TFT ka which is better for the eyes kaso..... 17" LCD Sampo-P7011M * 21,500

56K D-Link Internal Modem(Boxed) 450
    *Does not matter. Kung mag DSL ka, iba naman ang gamit.

A4 Tech Rainbow Shining Optical Mouse PS2 650
    A4 Crystal Optical Mouse (MOP-18) 600
    *Or kung yung motherboard mo eh madami ang USB 2.0 port, mag USB mouse ka na din.. Slowly tinatanggal na ang Legacy peripherals like PS2 and Serial/Parallel ports. You can buy a USB Hub that can expand your USB ports to additional 4 ports. 'Parang mag base pads' :)

*Floppy di na rin uso.. Legacy na rin tawag nila dun.. Mag Flash Memory stick ka na yung sa USB.. may 512MB na mem nun.

--This pricing was from Rising Sun
    RISING SUN COMPUTERS
    G/F 2241 Ganare Building, Taft Ave., Malate Manila / Tel Nos: 536-2857 to 58
    713 Shaw Blvd., Mandaluyong City / Tel nos: 722-7896
    Website: http://www.rsuncomputers.com Email: sales@rsuncomputers.com
    WAP: http://www.rsuncomputers.com/wap

--But for the best after sales support, I would recommend Villman.. I know the owner and we could get a discount na mga 5% off.. Go to Villman in Cybermall and magpabuo ka ng kailangan mo.. Tawagan natin owner pag may quote na. Or go to Villman West Ave. and look for Joven. He is the bro-in law of the owner Boyet.

11. Saruman

Saruman I carry a GLOCK

Speakers pala is up to you.. I prefer Boston Acoustics over the Altec Lansings. Mas claro at mas maganda tumunog.. Casing dapat with ample coolers din.. Don't go for Celeron, stripped down version ng Pentium yan.. Mababa ang Cache memory.. Mabagal ang processing kasi walang buffer Cache.. The higher the Cache the better.. BUS speeds should also be considered.. BUS speed dictates the total speed of the system with connection sa Processor, and RAM.

12. mc_oliver

mc_oliver

Magkano budget? So far, kung wala kang kilala na magbibigay ng discount, PC Express prices are hard to beat. ;)

CPU:
    Value for money ang AMD, get the athlon. Upgrade the stock cooling fan and heatsink. Faster is better.

Motherboard:
    ASUS or MSI, make sure puro DDR na memory slot, min 333Mhz speed. Mas maganda kung mey built-in firewire port para dyan sa video cam mo. Tapos dapat USB 2.0 na. AGP 8X or better ang video slot, don't get the ones with built-in videos. Sa sound either built-in or not, nasa sayo, if you can get one with 5.1 DTS mas maganda pang ultimate gaming.

Memory: DDR na min 512MB, 1 GB recommended. The higher the operating freq the better kung sinusupport ng mother board.

Video card: 128MB min memory na AGP 8X. Kung VIVO na mas maganda rin para pede mo i-feed output ng monitor to your TV and record from analog sources like VHS.

Hard disk: Seagate, sky's the limit ang capacity, min 80GB kung mag video editing ka but recomment dalawang 80 GB. Yung isa is used to capture the video feeds para 'di kumkurap yung recording. Make sure 7200rpm yung platter speed.

DVD writer: Make sure dual-writer, +R, -R, -RW, -RW, etc. capable.

Monitor: 17" recommended. Yung Mag maganda.

Ano pa?

13. bagito

bagito tanod

consider a laptop for mobility. got mine last year for 1.1k sterling. includes a printer/scanner,digital camera and got a p4 processor, dvd-r. best thing fits all in my laptop bag.

14. antediluvianist

antediluvianist

Just beware - with laptops - that you are not frying your gonads. See the article below :

Laptop in your lap might mess with male prowess

CP 2004-12-10 01:59:29

TORONTO -- New medical research is about to hit the technology industry below the belt; a provocative U.S. study has concluded that the last place any male should use a laptop computer is in his lap. Research published yesterday in the journal "Human Reproduction" has found that laptops, combined with the thighs pressed-together posture needed to balance them, give off enough heat to raise the temperature inside testicles by nearly three degrees celsius.

This increase, researchers warn, could endanger the production of healthy sperm and lead to infertility.

"Some people don't use laptops on their laps, but a lot of young men, or boys, have all these wireless services and they do use them on their laps to play games or do all sorts of things . . . and this is a continuous heat exposure. . . . But in 10 or 20 years, when they try to have a family, they might have problems," said study leader Yefim Sheynkin, a urologist at the State University of New York at Stony Brook.

So where should men put a laptop?

"Use it on a desk," he said. "Anywhere but on the lap."

If the findings sound, well, nuts, no doctor is likely to dismiss them.

The health of sperm globally has been a subject of great concern for the past 12 years.

Reports, particularly from Western countries, suggest that sperm counts and quality have been declining for half a century, while testicular cancer rates are rising.

The phenomenon remains controversial, but no one disputes that semen has its environmental enemies -- and heat is one of them.

Heat is known to mangle the traditional tadpole shape of sperm, as well as limit their numbers, stunt their growth and make them sluggish.

15. mikol

mikol

hi batang,

you might consider checking this site bro. and try to build-up your own configuration. or just get the complete package in different price range.;f the site is www.pcx.com.ph

hope this site helps you decide which PC to get soon.;)

sorry for the double post. mc_o had already given the website of pcx.^2

16. LexaDoig

LexaDoig

You can also try rsuncomputers.com

The first question is, what is your budget?

17. julianz

julianz toxic master

i agree with the guys..depende sa budget and intended purpose.

Make sure the shop you're going to get your pc has knowlegable techs and offer good after market support with unlimitted warranty(meron kaya pa kaya non) Get in touch with the guys who fix computers na mukhang may emphysema (sunog na baga sa kaiinhale ng lead ) and not to the ones selling it puro BS lang sasabihin sayo.

18. mikey177

mikey177 Remember

Basta ang alam ko, mabilis ang mga bus speed sa EDSA, pero mas lalong mabilis pag sa NLEX :)

Pasensya na po. Its 5 a.m. and I can't get to sleep.

19. bulm540

bulm540

Assembled mine with the help of my brother, Soyo motherboard, AMD athlon 2800 CPU, 512 RAM ( will upgrade to 1024 by years end). So far so good. 64 MB video card from PNY. cost me about $575 after rebates sans OS. Just be sure guys to get a good power supply.

20. New_comer

New_comer

2.1 gig Athlon 128 mb RAM on a 4x AGP K7-AMA3 mobo with built in sound, usb ports, & lan, in case I go dsl...

TNT 32 riva pa lang vid card ko, but I intend to discard it in favor of a 128 mb FX5200 before the year is out. 17" Philips second hand, Genius 56K modem, two hard disks, 1 20-gig and my 8 yr old 6 gig, 44x cd-rom, with a samsung CDRW I bought last years for my minor vid-edit projects. I got the cheapest firewire card, P950 lang ata, but works really well. All powered by a 350 watt power supply, no AVR (kuripot ko no!) The cheapest stereo speakers, A4tech optical mouse, the cheapest tower casing, and extra fan for the Athlon.

I don't think I spent more than 30K for all this. Though I benefitted from cannibalizing my old PC setup for the usual accessories: the CD-rom, FD drive... Hmmm, wala na pala halos natira sa luma ko. ;) But I do keep my ears open for hints of other PC owners upgrading their stock. Tapos binabarat ko. I got the 20 gig that way for only 1,500 :cool: