What online games do you play?

Discussion in 'The Players Club' started by cz75bdaddy0506, May 19, 2005.

1. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Tried Counter-Strike: Source...got TK'ed about 30 times. Quit.

Tried America's Army Online...got to 32 honor and the server deleted all my training and stats. Started over, stupidly enough, and as soon as SF training was passed I went on ops and instantly wound up with ZERO honor points! No good servers will let you play with that sort of thing hanging over you, so I quit that too.

Tried HL2 Deathmatch...see CS:S. Quit b/c of aimbots and TK'ers.

Tried Everquest and found it dead boring. Kill this or steal that to level up, and pay them $15 a month for the privilege of accessing the game servers. No thanks...if the server costs, make the game FREE. You'll make more money, guys...or are you afraid that most people will opt out after the first month?!? If so, make better games.

Tried Star Wars Galaxies and got really tired of killing things and making armor out of them so I could buy better weapons and pay for the necessary training so I could use them to kill bigger things and thus make better armor so I would get even more money so I could buy training to become a better shot so I could get even better weapons to...I am sure you get the drift...

Thinking about trying Guild Wars but I will wait until it has been 'live' for a little longer before I bother.

Right now I play NO online games. Lots more fun to play on my LAN with my friends since I have my OWN servers here! Plus, by keeping all those monthly dues for myself I have all the games that I want right now.

2. LOL! I play alot of sports games. Its really fun for me. The other players are so unpredictable in what they are going to do next. Really fun IMHO.:)

3. funbob

funbob do a lil' dance

I don't play too much online anymore. The maturity level is generally too low to make for an enjoyable experience. With all the tk'ing and cheaters and kiddies with names like 3|_14t3|-|/\X0rduD3. What I do like though is getting together for LAN games with friends.

The games that I'm playing online now include...

UT2004. Needs no introduction. Pure shoot 'em up gaming at its finest.

Far Cry. Also a very enjoyable shoot 'em experience.

Tribes Vengeance. The latest incarnation of the Tribes series. I have more hours online in the various Tribes games than anything else. The huge environments, the varied gametypes, emphasis on teamwork and tactics, armor classes, equipment, vehicles, the emphasis on movement in all dimensions. It all adds up to what I think is the greatest multiplayer series ever.

Tribes 2. Actually has more players online that Vengeance. Probably due to the game being freely released now. Still looks pretty good by todays standards. Heck, I still even play Tribes 1 from time to time.

SWAT 4. This is more fun in a LAN setting or a private game with other mature players. Lots of idiots and tk'ers in the public servers. Some of the best gaming around with a decent gaming rig, good players and real time voice comms.

America's Army. A solid game that is very fun to play if you get on the right servers. Robust voting and banning system to keep the losers away. I haven't experienced the disappearing stats problem yet. This will be a sweet looking game when it moves to the updated Unreal engine later this year.

Wolfenstein Enemy Territory. It's decent, it's free, there's always a ton of people online, but it just feels like that took an FPS and slapped some basic strategy elements on top of it without bothering to work them into a balanced gameplay experience. The result is a game that plays no differently than any other FPS. No tactics at all.

Empires Dawn of the Modern World. Excellent RTS with balanced, bugfree gameplay and good graphics.

Rome Total War. This game is a little disappointing in that the turn based element was left completely out of multiplayer and it has some other annoying quirks like troops running away far too easily but when it does work right, there's nothing more enjoyable than watching thousands of units battle it out. It's like something out of a movie.

Stronghold 2. Yet another game with a huge amount of potential if they can get it patched up properly. I haven't actually been able to comeplete a multiplayer match from start to finish without it crashing but I can tell there is an excellent game underneath the bugs. It just needs a few patches.

Civ 3. Not too much activity online with this one but it is a blast playing friends.

Command and Conquer Generals. Yet another excellent RTS. Reminds me a lot of Starcraft in the sense that there are 3 different factions with vastly different abilities.

Act of War - Direct Action. Another RTS featuring excellent graphics. Not a strong online presence due to the game being very new but it has a lot of potential. Lot's of interesting gameplay tweaks especially where resource management is concerned. Strong emphasis on urban combat. Superb graphics.

Empire Earth 2. Wow, talk about immersive. This is the mother of all real time strategy games. Hundreds of units and buildings, 16 time periods, a full tech tree to research. This game is deep. Still kinda buggy but I'm confident a few patches will smooth it out.

4. khaitran

khaitran

counterstrike, halo 2

5. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Oh yeah...UT2004.

That's gotta be the best online shooter I've played so far.

The 'bunny-hoppers' get tiring after awhile, and some of them seem to have become impervious to flak and rocket blasts, but all in all a pretty good game.

Compared to the others, that is.

On a LAN, though, it really shines!