Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently reading "The Girl Who Played With Fire" the sequel to "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo".
In the sequel one of the characters has a "Colt 45 Magnum" It is described as a "big cowboy gun" that "nobody should be able to own".

I am not a gun expert but I have never heard of a "Colt 45 Magnum".

I was just wondering if anybody else has heard of this cartridge or is it just the case of a Swedish author that did not do his homework when researching firearms?

It also really turns me off when reading a story that is not well researched. It doesn't matter how good the story is if they can't get simple stuff like this right.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
I am currently reading "The Girl Who Played With Fire" the sequel to "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo".
In the sequel one of the characters has a "Colt 45 Magnum" It is described as a "big cowboy gun" that "nobody should be able to own".

I am not a gun expert but I have never heard of a "Colt 45 Magnum".

I was just wondering if anybody else has heard of this cartridge or is it just the case of a Swedish author that did not do his homework when researching firearms?

It also really turns me off when reading a story that is not well researched. It doesn't matter how good the story is if they can't get simple stuff like this right.
That would be some really really rank malt liquer, even billy D wouldnt do the commercials for that jungle juice...:whistling:

·
Registered
35,957 Posts
Didn't see the movie, but 45colt magnum is likely a term for hotter loads used only in the Ruger BH/RH or TC single shots or as mid range loads in the 454 Casull. It could also be a ref to the 454Casull, or it could be they just got it wrong like the many ref to "ceramic Glcok" pistol.:upeyes:

·
Registered
514 Posts
There is no official cartridge called that as far as I know. My guess goes with typical author that doesn't care about gun facts.

·
Infidel (كافر)
89 Posts
there is a .45 long colt, a .45 winchester magnum and a .44 remington magnum

if you like i could take a picture of these cartridges.

·
Registered
24,005 Posts
The only Colt 45 Magnum I know if is 12 Oz. Colt 45 and 2 shots of moonshine. But I would advise you to keep it away from firearms.

·
Miembro Antiguo
9,988 Posts
You can call anything a magnum. It's totally meaningless. It's a term that was originally borrowed from a 1.5 liter bottle of champagne. In this case it probably refers to a hotly loaded .45 Long Colt.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The gun they were talking about was definitly a handgun and not a rifle.

They do drink quite heavily in the book so it could be a malt liquor too!

·
Matthew 25:31-46
3,880 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
I think there was a reference to a 45 Magnum in Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man. It was refered to as a 5 shot Ruger custom. I don't remember if the term 454 Casull Magnum was used.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Just wanted to hop in and say I'm planning on reading that series of books soon. I already have them, just have to get around to it. I saw The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo and it was an amazing movie. Since the books are usually much more detailed they tend to be better so I can't wait to pick it up and read it. I just don't know if I want to watch the movies first since I can do that quickly and then read the books. I hear the first movie is the best, though.

In any case to keep this post somewhat on topic... how about that part where he pushes the rifle (or was it a shotgun?) out of the way? I wonder what would happen in real life if you were that close and pushed against rifle/shotgun barrel as it was firing. In any case their ears should have been ringing for the rest of the day.

·
Registered
11,041 Posts
I used to dring Magnum malt liquor when I lived in California, and loved it. Not harsh like most of the other malt liquors on the market. It's made by Miller Brewing Co.

Unfortunately, I can't buy it in my part of the country and besides, I had to go on a severe diet and all liquid carbohydrates are off the table (pun intended). I guess it's working because I've lost 40 pounds in five months.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts