What now? Tried .40 caliber yesterday.... Didn't care for it

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by TheDreadnought, Aug 23, 2015.

Tags:
  1. TheDreadnought

TheDreadnought

What now? Tried .40 caliber yesterday.... Didn't care for it
    I just picked up a brand new Kel-tec Sub2000 Gen 2 in .40 caliber. I was planning on expanding my caliber selections beyond .22, .45, and 9mm.

But I found that while the rifle is everything I wanted it to be... I don't care for .40 caliber. I rented a Glock 22 to try it in a handgun sized frame. I don't think I will be expanding into it. If I want big, I'll just stick with .45 ACP.

So now I have this great rifle... But it's the only thing I'm going to have in .40 cal. Should I keep it, or sell it in like-new condition.

thoughts?

2. Koba

Koba

I don't keep what won't get shot, but that may just be me

MSW and ronin.45 like this.

3. bac1023

bac1023

I'm not a 40S&W fan either.

If you want to expand, go with 357 mag or something.

Glolt20-91 likes this.
  4. plp

plp

I'd say it depends on your financial situation. If you can afford to stock ammo just for it, and like the way it shoots, keep it.

One of the allures for me with my 1st gen Sub 2k is that I can use the same mags and ammo for it as I can for my Glocks. I'm pretty budget minded and have passed up some good deals on nice rifles and handguns because they aren't in calibers I already stock.

5. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

G0034594.JPG

Here's the other side of the coin. Shot my G24 in a Steel Challenge match yesterday. It is my favorite gun. Note the brass a few inches out of the gun. :supergrin:

wp

JAS104 likes this.
  6. banger

banger

That's O.K., not every caliber is for every person.

Take myself.... I have always found 9mm too light to have confidence in.

Yet, I realize that many people like the caliber... It's just not for me.

Personally it takes .40 and up to get my attention.

hogship, Glock.Man and MSW like this.
  7. TX OMFS

TX OMFS Right wing nut Lifetime Member

Yep. I only have one .32, .243, 22-250, 7.62x51, .300 win mag, and 30-30. No biggie.

8. arkdweller22

arkdweller22 Cuhootnified Roamer

I own and shoot firearms in many calibers so I wouldn't have the issue you're experiencing.
    My first thought is to convert it to 10MM, now that would be a hoot! Absent that option: trade it for a 9MM S2K or sell it and buy something that suits you better.

I believe owning and shooting multiple calibers will insulate you from shortages, etc. in the future. It's a protection if you will, so the best thing you could do is keep it.

9. SlowBurn

SlowBurn

Sell it and get the 9mm version. Probably won't lose much and you can use your Glock mags with it.

10. Mayonator

Mayonator

Sounds like you've already decided yr gonna dump it. Personally, I like having a variety of calibers from a SHTF preparedness perspective, and being able to utilize battlefield pickups, but that's just me. I like .40, but am leery about Kel-tec. You say it's a good little rifle? Looks like it could be useful, but you'd probably rather have it in 9mm?

11. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

I have a Sub 2000 in 9mm, nice little rifle. OP, if you decide to sell it and live in FL; let's talk.

wp

12. Valmet

Valmet M62/76 Silver Member

If you aren't a fan of .40 you very well may not like the 357 Mag either. If you're ready to write off the .40 for something else it's obviously you're call but you may want to give it a little bit more time and get used to shooting it...you may be surprised.

Glock.Man likes this.
  13. fowl intent

fowl intent Banned

I decided a while back to go with the .40 S&W platform. I bought a Sub2000 just to have a carbine in that caliber, and I love the darn thing. Very accurate (for a plastic front sight) out to 40 yards and fun to shoot. I haven't tried it at any greater distance. Passed up the opportunity to double my initial investment during the Great Gun Scare of 2012, and haven't looked back.

14. bac1023

bac1023

Well, the 357 mag gives the added variety of some different platforms. :cool:

15. Valmet

What do you want to do with the carbine OP? Plink and target shoot, hunt, self defense, all of the above?

16. Will Beararms

Will Beararms Millennium Member

Keep it. You need to have at least one firearm chambered in .40.

17. Valmet

Kind-of difficult to find and expensive but the handful of Ruger No. 1s they mfg'd back in 1984 (I think it was '84) are some of the coolest 357s I've ever fired.

18. BBMW

BBMW

This post brings up a few questions.

What about .40, especially out of a carbine, don't you like? The one gripe I hear about .40 is that it's allegedly snappy. I don't really get this, but whatever. In a long gun, I'd think the recoil of any pistol cartridge would be a non-issue. Is it something else?

You shot it in a G22, was there an issue with that?

And if you keep the carbine, what purpose will it serve, and how much ammo do you feel the need to keep on hand? If it's a range toy you could always just pick up what you need when you go to shoot it. And if stockpiling ammo is a thing for you, get rid of your 9mm and .45 guns, and standardize on .40, which can really replace both.

ditto1958 likes this.
  19. TheDreadnought

TheDreadnought

I was expecting the .40 caliber to be more of a middle ground between .45 ACP and 9mm in terms of recoil and report. Seems like its actually a lot closer to .45 than 9mm.

Of the two I prefer the .45 shooting experience. So if I'm going to shoot something bigger than 9mm, I'll probably go with .45 ACP.

I had originally purchased the Kel-tec for a few reasons:
    1. Ability to get ammo in an ammo scare if 9mm and .45 disappear off the shelves.
    2. Ability to scrounge and make use of another caliber of ammo in case there is no ammo available whatsoever in a SHTF type of situation.
    3. Ability to have a carbine that I could fold up and carry around in a backpack in a SHTF situation.
    4. A compact PCC I can keep under the couch just for regular home defense - in case somebody kicks down the door while I'm watching TV.
    5. Availability of 20+ round magazines.

I can still use it for all those purposes. I guess I just expected to fall in love with .40 caliber, and didn't, which was disappointing.

I already have an excellent 9mm carbine, a Beretta CX4 Storm with 30 round mags, and a Vortex Strikefire II red dot. It's an amazing weapon, that's a blast to shoot. So I guess I was comparing the KelTec to the (significantly more expensive and bulkier) Storm, so of course the Kel-tec didn't fare well in the shootability comparison.

That said, it performed great. Very accurate, no malfunctions even with cheap remanufactured ammo. Uses the Glock 22 mags. The Gen 2 version I have has a number of upgrades over the Gen 1 that make it quite nice.

So, like I said. . . maybe just suffered in comparison to the Beretta. . . and I didn't love the .40 caliber round. But it still did everything I would have wanted it to.

I think I just need to shoot it some more and get used to it as its own thing.

My issue with the Glock 22 was again just that I didn't love it. I shoot my 9 and .45 better and like the experience more. Again, a bit of an unfair comparison because each of those has fancy aftermarket RSA's that really smooth out the shooting. But that was how I felt at the time. No real burning desire to own one.

20. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

I'm at the point in my life where I want to simplify and consolidate, not just firearms but virtually everything. 9mm is my #1 caliber, I have two .40s which I will be getting rid of, no .45s but I would like to have 1.