close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What muzzle-loading season should be....

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Sixgun_Symphony, Jan 22, 2003.

1. Sixgun_Symphony

Sixgun_Symphony NRA4EVR

Primitive Hunt

Traditional flintlock and caplock muzzle-loading firearms, buckskins and calico. :cool:

I hope they ad on buffalo hunts soon.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

My father does all of his hunting with a self, hand-made .75 Brown Bess.

You should have heard the hunting group when he brought down the 1st ring-neck on last years opener. They were in aw.

The funny thing is, what most traditionalist think is tradition would actually be considered quite modern.

Between my father, brother & I we have 18 hand-made original replica flints. My father made each.

He makes his own clothes & also does scrimshaw regularly.

Here is a picture of 2 twin cannons he made me when I was younger:

3. Sixgun_Symphony

Sixgun_Symphony NRA4EVR

Very nice!

What caliber are they and how well do they shoot?

4. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

He/we have anything from 30 cal to 75 cal. There are a few 45's in there, as well as 50's. One of my favorites is the Yeager "shorty", it's either a 62 cal or a 64 cal... it slips me right now.

Not one of the completed guns is of percussion decent... my dad calls them "cheating"!

He used to go as far as making his own barrels with an old friend of his down state, but doesn't anymore with his friend's passing some years back.

5. BrianDamage

BrianDamage YouTalkin'ToMe?

I bought a Traditions Deerhunter flintlock this year...was hoping to be able to use when flintlock opened up on the 18th, but having my tonsils took out kind of messed that up. I took it out yesterday and tried to sight it in, but didn't have any luck. It got worse as I went along. I really need a good shooting rest/vise. I'm going to get one and hit the range with it when it opens back up in February. Get it ready for next year.

I'll have to skip on the traditional clothes though. They're neat and all, but I prefer my camo and a treestand.

6. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

A flintlock’s ignition time is pretty darn slow, it can be sped up with a few tricks, (like using a downloaded FFF load instead of the bigger grained FF load…) but it’s still going to be slower then your more modern stuff. A good trigger with zero over travel will do a world of good shooting a flintlock for accuracy! You really have to follow through after the trigger is squeezed. Flinching is not an option! (Ever really look at the word “flinching”? Notice the similarity between flintlock & flinching? ;))

One good thing, if you master a flintlock, you’ll be killer with everything else!

7. PA25P

PA25P

Use FFFF. ;j

8. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

I do... in the "pan" that is! ;)

9. tjpet

tjpet

Best tip I've ever seen to improve FL ignition time, that worked, is to enlarge the touch hole considerably. As a rough rule of thumb I'd say double the size of what they normally are especially on factory guns. Even a poorly designed lock with a dull flint will work a lot better after this modification.

Although I love to shoot the old stuff I have absolutely no attraction to dressing up in costume. I gave that sort of thing up circa Halloween early 60's.

10. Sixgun_Symphony

Sixgun_Symphony NRA4EVR

tjpet,

Fashions come and go, so why not revivie some historical duds?