close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What mods are necessary to be competitive with a glock in USPSA?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Twix, Nov 26, 2002.

1. Twix

Twix whatever

As Flexmoney stated in a previous thread there are several highly classed Glockjocks that have made minimal mods and produced great results. Flex his ownself, Swede20, and Chris Patty in particular set out to push his classification without spending alot of money on gear.Oh yes, there is also some guy named Sevigny(1st and 2nd place USPSA national in production last two years)that does ok with a reputably stock Glock. I, after shooting about 6000 rounds through a trio of 9mm Glocks decided that a better trigger would be nice. I bought the best I could and am not disapointed at all(why is it the 1911 guys think it's fine to pour money into a trigger but it's stupid to do it on a Glock?.My 35 is just more fun to me to shoot with a really nice trigger. I have worked with several new shooters now(somehow they all seem to show up with Glocks?)and every one of them's accuracy has benefitted from a 3.5# connector, polishing, and a lighter striker spring. Another observation ? Both my best buddy and I's Glock shooting drastically improved after putting the Glock down and shooting 1911's for awhile and then going back to the G.And my hat is off to all you need to get a life he-men that don't use a magwell. You guys must be spending waaay too much time practicing hitting that little hole.;) Another benefit of the magwell? It tends to ward off the free advise givers who assume you are a newbie because you have a Glock on your hip. Worth the $ right there to me.

2. Custom Glock Racing

Custom Glock Racing I did it first. Millennium Member

There are 3 things I consider mandatory to change on a Glock out of the Box. Sight, Trigger, and recoil spring. Other enhancements for competion that help are a magwell, mag button, hi griping, and barrel.

FYI both Sevigny and Erickson (swede) shoot our triggers.

3. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

Oh, you mean besides the mental awareness and physical ability to shoot quickly and accurately?

4. macgregor45

macgregor45 who???

Speaking of magwells, I can't count the people that come up to me and say, 'you know magwells aren't legal in production dontcha??'. Even at the Factory Gun Nats I had that happen.

5. ajm

ajm Millennium Member

Havn't made gm with a glock yet, but got master with both limited and production divisions. In production I agree that trigger (for me ghost rocket, polish, and cut striker spring)and sights (stock rear and hi-viz front)are important. because I have found a lower than normal recoiling load that still makes minor, I have to cut the recoil spring to get reliable functioning when shooting with the bad hand which has basically no strength. Other than that I like surfboard tape on the grip. When I was shooting Limited I added a big old mag well and hi-caps, btw always shot lead bullets (I am cheap)in both limited with the 40 and now with the 9 in production.

good luck
    ajm

6. Twix

Twix whatever

Hey Flex,

Can't post here because of some BS. Just sayin' Hi.

3quartertime!!!

7. Twix

Twix whatever

Sevigny and Swede shoot CGR triggers. Cool. I really like mine. Someday I may even master that quick reset. Twix

8. Flexmoney

Flexmoney

Just to keep things straight...???

I understand that David S. shot this years Nationals with a Stock G34. He took a G34 out of the box, shot it, decided it was good to go as is.

And, I think that Swede20 just sent his gun to Matt after he made Grand Master?

I agree with Matt. Good sights and trigger work. I have done fine with the stock recoil assembly (though lighter is, generally, considered the way to go).

1) Sights. I like the Heinie sights. Open up the rear, thin down the front. (Novaks work well for me as also.)

2) Trigger. For competition, a 3.5# connector and a lightened (reduced power) striker spring and some polish. That will get anybody hits in the A-zone...if the shooters does their part. If you don't want to do the work yourself, or if you want to take the trigger work a bit further, then send you tupperware off to someone like Matt at CGR.

3) Magwell. Nah. This isn't a must have for reloads. It may help save a bad one. But, if the shooter executes the reload properly (looks the mag into the hole), then the magwell is just extra. If you are looking to add weight to the gun, then a magwell can help in that area.

4) Extended Mag Release. This does help me. The Glock brand that comes on the G34/35 works for me. Get whatever one that lets you keep you from having to shift your grip. (I put a THE on the large framed G20.)

5) Grip Tape. Decal grip. 3M tread tape from the hardware store. I need something that has good bite...right below where the frame pin is in the back. The meat of my left palm needs some gription.

6) Slide Stop. I prefer the NON-extended. If yu reload at the proper times, then you will never need to touch it anyway.

(twix, get 3qt a Glock...seems like he breaks those "other" guns) :)