close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

what model Glock do you CCW and why?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by GlockTalk9, Jul 11, 2011.

1. GlockTalk9

GlockTalk9

What made you decide on which model Glock to select for CCW? Do you have more than 1 Glock for sake of change or different guns for certain events/days/weather/etc? I am ready to make the jump on a sub-compact Glock but undecided which model would suit me best for ALL occasions. I plan to use a IWB all times.

I have my G17 for HD. It would make sense to go with a 9mm sub-compact but I honestly want more fire power if I am limited to 10 rounds or below. Thoughts?

2. DaneA

DaneA

Go with a 26. Two rounds center mass of any caliber will usually solve any problem. It's more about placement than caliber.

3. Billy10mm

Billy10mm

Glock 23. I love the .40S&W and the G23 just feels right in my hands. Always has, always will. Just so happens that the 23 is also an excellent sized gun for concealed carry so if I'm carry a Glock, it's a 23. (to be fair, the only other Glock I've owned were another 23 and a 19)

4. cs133atom

cs133atom

G23 compact is a great, very capable CCW weapon.

5. Billy10mm

Billy10mm

Not this crap again :faint:

6. HexHead

HexHead

26 is my main carry weapon now. It's my most versatile handgun.

7. DaneA

DaneA

Why? He already has a 9mm, so why not keep it in the family.

8. jadickson

jadickson

This.

9. Beanie-Bean

Beanie-Bean

G27, G30SF, G33 are in carry rotation because of the heat here. When it gets colder, I'll switch over to the big guys. Just picked up a G26 recently, so that guy will be joining the CCW rotation after I install night sights on it.

If you've already got the G17, I'd recommend the 26, since it can use the same magazines & ammo.

10. plainshunter

plainshunter

G27 because it was given to us. My wife inherited it from her late father (ex LEO).

11. Billy10mm

Billy10mm

I'm just referring to the "size doesn't matter, it's all about shot placement" statement.

Larger bullets make bigger holes. Bigger holes lead to faster blood loss. Heavier bullets generally have more energy and penetrate deeper. Deeper penetration leads to increased chances of hitting vitals and also leads to more blood loss. A larger projectile may hit a major blood vessel that a smaller projectile might narrowly miss.

There are plenty of good reasons to own, shoot, and carry and 9mm firearm including but not limited to the price of 9mm ammunition, the added training ability that goes along with being able to purchase more rounds and being most comfortable with the recoil characteristics of that round, and as you stated being able to keep calibers consistent which in many ways leads back to reasons numbers 1 and 2.

But it absolutely kills me to see that old "size doesn't matter, shot placement is key" remark since it inherently implies that somehow my .40, .45, or 10mm is less accurate in my hands than an equivalent 9mm handgun would be and it generally makes no logical sense whatsoever for the reasons I outlined in my second paragraph in this post.

The FBI wrote it much more eloquently than I ever can: http://www.firearmstactical.com/pdf/fbi-hwfe.pdf

I'm truly sorry if that's not how you intended the statement, but I read it that way. I'll stop hijacking this thread now.

12. samuse

samuse

Carry the gun that you like shoot and carry the most.

For me it's the 19.

I prefer the fullsize but it prints too much when I carry and I can feel the back of my shirt draping over the gip. Annoying.

Tried a G-26. The barrel is so short that the muzzle rides high enough to get pressed right into my sciatic nerve. Not happenin'.

Been totin' a G-19 for years. It carries comfortably, shoots well enough and it's big enough for me to feel comfortable handling and small enough to conceal.

13. NewGlockShooter

NewGlockShooter

I carry my g27 because my S&W 629 is a tad bulky.

14. milje

milje

G19 because the shop had a very lightly used one for a good price, it carries well and nobody has noticed it yet, even better now that I found some longer shirts that I like. I'll probably get a G26 or G27 sometime because I occasionally do notice that my shirt has a very small bump in it if I twist just right.

15. FuturePharmD

FuturePharmD

I am 5'8" and 165. I carry my 36 IWB almost everywhere. I own several other 45 calibers so it made the most sense for me. I absolutely love it.

16. Glocklvr

Glocklvr

G19, shoot it IDPA, makes sense to carry what you shoot.

17. Lior

Lior GUNS=FREEDOM

G17. Legendary reliability, thin, lightweight, easy to carry, easy to shoot well, versatile (can also be used for IPSC or for SHTF as a carbine in a Roni conversion kit).
    YMMV - some people will find other frame sizes more comfortable to shoot.

Edited to add: if I lived in a "ten round state", I would probably consider a G30.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  18. BailRecoveryAgent

BailRecoveryAgent Rude Member

Glock 23. Why? I love the compact Glocks. I owned shot and carried a G19 for almost 10 years, it was my first carry gun. One day, I shot a G23 and realized that the super duper tough wrist breaking cartwheel muzzle flip and recoil that I'd heard so much about in the .40 caliber was a bunch of bologne. More recoil than 9mm, yes but no where near unmangageable.

I didn't feel undergunned with the 9mm and would have no issue carrying one now, I just wanted to try the bigger caliber. So I sold my G19, big mistake, wish I still had it too:crying:, and bought a G23. It would have been nice to have a 19 and a 23, you know what they say about hindsight...

19. Billy10mm

Billy10mm

I just had to tell you how much I LOL'd reading your sig. I read his post the other day and I thought that was one of the weirdest statements I'd ever read online. I'm glad you've quoted it for posterity!

20. gophert

gophert

G36 mostly, but sometimes the G26....But the G36 is just cooler! :tongueout:

[​IMG]