What magazine is correct for a DA prefix 17L?

Discussion in 'Glock Collector's Club' started by cubrock, Oct 15, 2019.

1. cubrock

cubrock

Long time lurker....

I've got a Gen 1 DA prefix 17L. Bought it off the original owner and the deal included a few NFML mags. What would be correct for this gun - NFML with "Austria" over the Glock logo, or NFML with "Austria" under the Glock logo?

Smooth/blank floorplate? Or floorplate with the Glock logo?

Thank you in advance! I've been doing a lot of reading and looking for pics, but can't find a definitive answer. I want to make sure to put the right mags with the gun.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
  2. premiertactical

premiertactical

You should easily find the answer looking at any Gen 1 from that period same as yours.
    As will be repeated here that Glock tended to use up whatever they had available. Many times coming across older manufactured parts and just using those up despite newer manufactured same items.
    One member here is working on a magazine project.
    There are several posts in this area of the forum titled magazines.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019

3. Marcus99

Marcus99

That's because there isn't one. As premiertactical noted Glock tended to use whatever parts they had available, notable exceptions notwithstanding. You state that it came with several NFML mags but fail to state what variation they are, then go on to ask what is correct for the gun. Is this a quiz for the collectors? In all likelihood whatever came with it from the original owner is likely to be original in the situation you described.

premiertactical likes this.
  4. patcrad

patcrad

Based upon other DA’s posted here previously and my own DA, the u notched, Glock logo (without the hole) base plate appears to be considered as most common magazines found with this series.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mbar9607 and cubrock like this.
  5. cubrock

cubrock

Sorry - I thought my initial post made it clear what mags I had in hand. I'll drop back to punt and start again. :D I've spent hours reading posts and articles on magazines and couldn't figure out the answer to my question, which is why I'm asking it now.

I got several NFML mags from him when I bought the gun, only two of which would have come with the gun originally. The rest he bought after he bought the gun. He couldn't remember which two were original. I got the one on the far left in the pic below and five like the two on the right. To further complicate things, he replaced the baseplates on all of them with factory +2 baseplates of the era (late 80s, early 90s). The magazine second from the left is one I already had, which has a factory blank/smooth floorplate.

My understanding is that the two mags on the left, with "AUSTRIA" molded above the Glock logo are earlier than the other magazines I got, all of which have "AUSTRIA" molded below the Glock logo.

I understand the parts bin theory and how earlier mags could wind up being shipped with a later gun. However, one would not expect to find an earlier gun with mags that weren't developed after that gun shipped.

If the later mags on the right are correct for the gun, I'm putting them with it. If, however, a DA prefix 17L would be too early for the mags on the right, I want to keep the two on the left with it. If either style could be correct, that is fine, too. I just prefer to have the "correct" mags with the gun, if possible.

Thank you for bearing with me.

[​IMG]

6. geefal

geefal

Sorry been busy with harvest and didn't have the time to answer this.

Have 3 NIB DA series 17L

all three have the gold magazines with AoverG on the left

cubrock likes this.
  7. cubrock

cubrock

Thank you so much!

8. geefal

geefal

I should note, I also have NIB DB 17L's and they have the ones on the right. I also had a DA which was in the 79x range, also NIB and it had the black magazines on the right. So the changeover occurred in the DA series, just not sure exactly where, just that it was in the last 1/4 of production (approximately). I kinda use the rule of thumb that anything over 700 ish can use both and anything below 500 ish would be the Gold magazines. But since I don't know exactly you can probably fudge a little on that bottom # (wouldn't feel bad about black mags in a 600 or so).

They also use early mags in later guns so changeover could have been even earlier and they just used up old stock in the guns I have. Its a guessing game really and why I haven't finished my "what magazine goes with what gun" post. I have yet to be able to "concretely" nail down stuff and hate to post some sort of guide which would be off.

9. geefal

geefal

And as a final note, if you look on the bottom of the two magazines on the left (i.e. the "gold magazines"), you will note the back bottom of the magazine is different. There were different production runs of the gold magazine. One was smooth and one has that ramped ledge and one has a full shelf ledge back.

On my DA's that I have still, they all have the following "ledge back" but again, could be random chance that is what they have.
    P1100974.JPG
    If you have any OCD at all, the magazine thing will drive you nuts.

cubrock and premiertactical like this.
  10. cubrock

cubrock

Thank you. I never noticed that difference in the two magazines. Most people don't appreciate the variations that are present with Glocks, especially the early ones. This has been a very informative thread for me.

11. geefal

geefal

Glad to help.

The multiple variants are both a collectors dream and a collectors nightmare. Since we are sorta the pioneers of collecting Glocks, we have very little previous information to help us. But over the last couple of years on this forum the wonderful members of the collectors forum have done a fairly passable "start" to beginning to collect a understanding of what was what and when. All the other firearms I collect I can just pull out the reference manuals and see what was what. We here "are" the reference manual and it seems every time I read through the posts (both new and old) here I learn something new from what someone else has shared that they have found out.

Good people on here, will say that :)

12. L.A.Tactical

L.A.Tactical

Mine came with these mags. Not the original owner but this one appears to be a safe queen. 35FF1D6D-69C4-4804-B5DA-333AE4203177.jpeg

13. geefal

geefal

what serial range is yours L.A.Tactical?

14. L.A.Tactical

L.A.Tactical

I have a couple DA, but the first one's mags were sold by the original owner during the Clinton ban. The second one came as a package but I can't speak to the first thirty years of its history.

15. glockhoarder

glockhoarder

These.

I just updated the post on the DA 17L on GB right now with many pics of my NIB, complete DA.
    IMG_20191025_220920.jpg IMG_20191025_220922.jpg

premiertactical likes this.
  16. geefal

geefal

yep, those are the same full shelf ledge back "gold" as I have partially pictured.