Glock Talk banner

What loads do LE use in the GLOCK 21?

3696 Views 36 Replies 31 Participants Last post by  [email protected]
what loads are usually carried by LE if they carry a G21 in 45 caliber?

would they use something like a Remington Golden Saber 185 gr JHP?

do they ever use something in 230 gr JHP?

I read the Rem 185 gr JHP Golden Saber makes a very effective defense load

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...ns-glocks-orange-deputies-20150201-story.html

Official Camera operator Photography Gesture Police
Gun Firearm Trigger Revolver Gun accessory
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

· Registered
461 Posts
I have been retired almost 10 years. I carried PMC StarFire, and Golden Saber's in a 5" 1911 Colt. I have several different 45acp carry loads from about 15 yars ago that I tested. The Black Talons sure looked nasty expanded, but I was of the opinion they penetrated a little too deep in my testing. I only fired One round of 45acp on duty. I believe it was a Golden Saber I shot a mean dog with. No issue with performance. A One Shot DRT Stop. Good thing too, I was real close to a nasty dog bite.

Bob R

· Registered
5,597 Posts
My only 45auto experience has been with the 230gr HST +P and it performed well. A few years ago I was hard charged by two pit bulls on my property. The Colt 1911 Government muzzle to head distance of the largest PB was about two feet, the HST entered its left eye socket, separated its lower jaw and cracked its skull from the eye socket to left ear...instantaneous stop. This is my 1911 carry round.

One of my home choices is a SA XD Tactical w/Streamlight HL-1 and 230gr Ranger T +P, I've tested it and it's one nasty bullet. Ballpark a 14"-15" bullet with about 0.85"-0.90" expansion...should make for a very large crush cavity. :)

· Registered
61 Posts
Recently I spoke with Officer Gregory Stephens (Garland Tx) He was involved in a shootout with a couple of terrorists. He took them down with his Glock 21 using 230gr. Gold Dots. He said that one round got plugged with material from one of the perps LBE, but the others did just fine. This is just one example but they did OK.

· Registered
2,098 Posts
When I carried a 45 (G21, 21SF, and M&P45), issued ammo was Federal 230 grain Hydra Shok and Remington 230 grain Golden Saber (not bonded). When I was with the Border Patrol, the issued duty ammo for the personally owned P220s was the Remington 185 +P. I’ve seen departments issuing Winchester Ranger and Federal 230 grain HST and HST +P. Any of those loads, plus Speer Gold Dots are considered good, and should function both reliably and accurately thru a G21.

· Registered
791 Posts
Recently I spoke with Officer Gregory Stephens (Garland Tx) He was involved in a shootout with a couple of terrorists. He took them down with his Glock 21 using 230gr. Gold Dots. He said that one round got plugged with material from one of the perps LBE, but the others did just fine. This is just one example but they did OK.
I'd love to shake Greg Stephens hand.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.