Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wanting another .357 Mag lever gun for a while. Marlin is off my list. The Henry is a good rifle by all accounts but I just don't care for the tube loading system. If they made a rifle with a loading gate I would be happy to get one. The Japanese made Winchesters are nice but expensive and kinda rare. Even the Rossi is getting up there is cost and hard to find.

Seems my only real options right now is wait and see what comes down the line or get a Marlin and take a chance on getting a turd.

·
A swamp dude
11,852 Posts
I'm a Marlin guy with deep roots in models and calibers that go back prior to the company being acquired around 2009. Thus, my vote goes to vintage Marlins built in Connecticut (JM marked).

Im looking forward to learning pros and cons of today's Henry, Rossi and Winchester lever guns in terms of price, quality, features, functionality and availability.

What brand is most popular among competitive shooters?

·
Exploring Alternate Routes
5,429 Posts
was just looking at the henry rifles...my choice would be henry. View attachment 385562
I love the Henry rifles, and they are supposed to be top shelf, but a $Large for a 7-10 shot rifle? 6 if you go 30-30.
If that was all I could have, the lever actions offer some credit. If I were in a better place, I would love to have a lever action with the 6 shooter to go with it in 357 mag, 44 mag or 45 Colt.

Reactions: cruz lee

·
Registered
191 Posts
I've been seeing a lever action 44 that is a "take down" type that I would like to have for a truck gun. The reason for 44 is that I have a Ruger Redhawk that I use for bear protection when we fish or hunt I want a truck gun that will use the same bullets so I can have a bear rifle, my largest current cal of rifle is my M1A 308

·
Registered
14,856 Posts
Lever guns are cool and I loved my old 1894P, but I have decided that a lever is not a valid choice for me anymore. I don't shoot CASS matches so I don't NEED one. I prefer stainless and polymer over blue and walnut due to my propensity to cause rust. My only uses would be hunting and plinking. For that a 77/357 fits my needs better.

·
Deranged Deputy
14,598 Posts
I've been seeing a lever action 44 that is a "take down" type that I would like to have for a truck gun. The reason for 44 is that I have a Ruger Redhawk that I use for bear protection when we fish or hunt I want a truck gun that will use the same bullets so I can have a bear rifle, my largest current cal of rifle is my M1A 308
Chiappa is selling the Alaskan Takedown, which is basically a takedown version of the Winchester 92. These are Italian made guns and pretty good from what I hear. They are also quite pricey at 1100 to 1200 bucks.

·
Premium Member
7,654 Posts
I wanted a lever action .22 for Hiking and looked at the Henry. Nice gun but way too shiny and heavy for a my taste. I bought a Mossberg instead. Not the high quality of the Henry, but it's accurate and reliable and more suited to hiking.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
I have always wanted (not needed) a wild west pair in 44 magnum (lever action carbine and revolver). Have not been able to justify it till this date. Maybe in the future when I can afford to buy wants rather than needs!

·
RIP BUDDY
3,659 Posts
Found a nice Ted Williams for $190 @ a local gun shop in .35 Remington. Made by Winchester for Sears. Scoped it I loaned it to a buddy 4 deer later. He’s going to hit the gunshows trying to find one.

·
Registered
21,888 Posts
1 - 20 of 100 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.