What Level of Gun Control is Acceptable to You? Poll

Discussion in 'Gun-Control Issues' started by Quigley, Aug 6, 2018.

1. None, repeal them All from 1934 to today

121 vote(s)
    59.3%
  2. I'm ok with background checks but private sales are OK

54 vote(s)
    26.5%
  3. All sales should require background checks

17 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. Machine guns and the like listed in the NFA should be restricted

23 vote(s)
    11.3%
  5. Certain guns, not listed in the NFA, should be restricted (please explain)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. I'm ok with most guns but they should require licenses and registration

3 vote(s)
    1.5%
  7. Constitutional carry should be legal

69 vote(s)
    33.8%
  8. I think permits should be required to carry

13 vote(s)
    6.4%
  9. Just keep the laws the way they are today.

7 vote(s)
    3.4%
  10. I'm ok with OTHER (please explain)

2 vote(s)
    1.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Quigley

Quigley Elite Member

Being that this is a gun forum I think it is safe to say that we all like guns. However the gun community is not homogeneous on the issue of where we draw the line. For some it is just keep the laws the same and for others it overturn all the laws. There are even those that wish to increase gun control in certain areas.

For the sake of this poll we will group federal and state gun control into the category. I do understand that some may be ok with certain state restrictions but not federal restrictions. We will also leave out issues such as should certain federal buildings be able to restrict carry. I think we can all agree that from a National Security standpoint private citizens shouldn't be able to carry into certain federal facilities but armed security in this locations should be mandatory to protect the innocent.

2. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

If the people can not be trusted then what good is any law?
    No law will make people behave only knowledge that the bad behavior will be treated with harshly.

3. Toni77

Toni77

No compromise, no gun control.
    Period.

AGF0526, Low_Speed, APERS and 7 others like this.
  4. happyguy

happyguy Man, I'm Pretty

I'm good with constitutional carry.

I do think stringent background checks and limitations on transfers of full auto weapons are OK though. Same thing for howitzers and such.

But I know a guy who owns a WWI howitzer and he is less a threat to society than those unarmed homeless crazies in the "SF is a Third World ****hole" thread and if I had a howitzer I wouldn't shoot anyone with it either.

Regards,
    Happyguy :)

PhotoFeller, fatduk1963 and Quigley like this.
  5. rock_castle

rock_castle Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness

Laws to protect people from themselves are stupid and unnecessary.

AGF0526, Intolerant, APERS and 7 others like this.
  6. ObiJuan

ObiJuan

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
    Sam Spade, APERS, Jeff S. and 15 others like this.
  7. Quigley

Quigley Elite Member

Interesting results so far.

8. vadersfather

vadersfather

When progressives are open to more abortion control, then I will be open to more gun control.

9. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

I think restricting certain people from legally purchasing guns makes sense. But I don't see any need to restrict/control purchases, ownership and carry for law-abiding citizens.

You mention "certain guns" and specifically machine guns. I don't own any machine guns, but I know a bunch of people who do, and they are in use at our range as often as not. So from a safety/security standpoint, what difference does it make whether the owners paid a tax on them, or what year they were originally manufactured?

I think a person would need to be kind of an idiot to think it's a valid safety measure to require me to go through an FFL to buy a few Glock frames or buy a pistol from one of my shooting partners. That's just kind of asinine.

All the applicable control measures I can think of are really people control, not gun control. And obviously making something illegal doesn't mean it won't happen. It just won't be carried out by those who obey laws.

Quigley likes this.
  10. SevenSixtyTwo

SevenSixtyTwo

What level of gun control is acceptable and, what gun control I think "should" be implemented is two different questions. I'm not pushing for any gun control. What wouldn't hinder my happiness is a different story.

Quigley likes this.
  11. SevenSixtyTwo

SevenSixtyTwo

You'll give up your rights if they give up theirs? I fail to see the logic.

12. texmex

texmex

Reasonable restrictions on nuclear weapons.

treg, cbetts1, fatduk1963 and 2 others like this.
  13. spork

spork Caffeinator

I went with repealing everything from 1934 to the present.

14. eagle359

eagle359 Glock Fanboi

It seems that each gun control act is connected to the actions of just a few people. The 1934 NFA was a reaction to the St. Valentines Day Massacre. The 1968 GCA was a reaction to two killings. Most of the population is acting civil to one another. I have never been a fan of "group punishment". The biggest problem in eliminating ALL gun controls would be cleaning up the mess caused by all of the left's heads exploding. I can live with that.

Intolerant, happyguy, Joe H and 3 others like this.
  15. Glockman4

Glockman4

Repeal it all. Guns are used the commission of crimes that we already have laws against. There is no need for gun law. If someone can’t be trusted, keep them locked up. If someone uses a gun in a criminal act, prosecute them fully. Everything else is just fluff.

The fact that victimless “gun crime” like crossing state lines without the proper permit can result in jail time, is an aberration that should never occur within a free country.

You should be able to buy a machine gun at Walmart.

16. Quigley

Quigley Elite Member

And what bothers me is that many on the right tend to view these laws as good overtime.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

17. Quigley

Quigley Elite Member

Quoted for truth.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

18. KUETSA

KUETSA

Anything that registers guns to government databases that could be used to facilitate mass confiscation is unacceptable - like "If you like your AR15 you can keep your AR15, just register it to our confiscation database" - and - conceal carry permits that require registering your handguns to the permit.

Any laws that create a double standard in constitutional rights are unacceptable - as in the Second Amendment being interpreted to be "The right of law enforcement personnel, active and retired, to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed - all other citizens must comply with firearm and magazine restrictions as mandated by law, under penalty of felony prosecution."

There is no point to a Second Amendment that results in the totalitarian progressive communist Nazi party building an invincible oppressive police state while limiting citizens to whatever BB gun they feel is harmless enough to ensure vulnerability to their power and whatever atrocity they feel justified in committing to engineer their multicultural progressive utopia.

Thank God American Citizens who own firearms are responding to unconstitutional progressive firearm and magazine restrictions with MASS NON- COMPLIANCE!

19. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

What "good" has resulted from current laws, and restrictions? Honestly. I was buying shotgun shells @13 yrs old. 5 at a time from box of 25. Week later they couldn't sell me BBs

Did that make the community safer?
    Reasonable restrictions. Let's see. If under 18 have to have parent, legal guardian to purchase guns ammo. No carry till 18 unless special circumstances. BUT Parent, guardian can put written permission at gun store for minor to purchase ammo until permission revoked. Still need parent for gun purchases.
    I am ok with requirement you take short written test (laws, safety) watch a couple hr online, DVD from library... And ideally a couple hr range demo every 5 yrs. for concealed carry permit that should be good nation wide.
    Not 50 yd shots at golf balls, 1 second reloads... IIRC most shootings were 21'.. So 30' into full silhouette. Max range.
    Every yr free range day refreshers. Encouraged. Say first Saturday every month.
    Only people restricted are minors (see above) mentally ill, convicted felons, multiple DUI, drug arrests.... (Many I am not thinking of right now)

20. Jellymon

Jellymon

Using two hands. With a high, thumbs forward grip.

APERS and Quigley like this.