close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What Laptop to get?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by BilltheCat, Dec 10, 2006.

1. BilltheCat

BilltheCat Quieter Cat Millennium Member

part 2 of the problems with my dell desktop thread...

I want to get a laptop to backup/supplement/replace the desktop.

who is good nowadays for basic office stuff little or no games ?

Price is always a consideration, but want the thoughts of you who are in the know on the bestter machine(s) to get.

Thanks

2. Tennessee Slim

Tennessee Slim Señor Member CLM

If you don't suck wind through your teeth at the mention of a "reconditioned" PC, check out refurbdepot.com. I bought a Presario from them and it's a gem.

My theory is that ~50% of returned PC equipment was only experiencing a PICNIC error (problem in chair, not in computer) and only needs wiping off the original owner's fingerprints before it's good as new (literally) and ready for it's next owner.

3. BilltheCat

BilltheCat Quieter Cat Millennium Member

good thought. I do want core2 intel at least and 1gig ram and cd rw maybe dvd too.
    hd size isnt as much an issue as I have maybe total 7 gig filled on my desktop pc. (out 0f 80 I think)

wireless 802.11 and sound, battery decent time are more important.

bigger display not 14.1 and enough usb 2.0's with that cd/dvd/rw and usable keyboard for me.

didnt see anything I liked on that website however.

4. lens

lens

PCs are so cheap that refurbs aren't the bargain they once were.

Try checking Sunday papers for deals. Best bet now will likely be the day after Christmas!

Do some research on Toshiba, Acer, Compaq Presarios just to understand the different models and quality.

Also understand that ALL computers today are "throw-away" commodities. If you get 3 years out of them and anything goes wrong, best bet is to throw it away and buy new.

BTW: I used to sell computers and software, but today's retail market with rebates wiped that business off the map. [World record for rebate was Best Buy on Westinghouse 19 LCD TV (also has monitor inputs) for ~$180 on Black Friday. I received the $130 rebate check this week!! It was an eRebate (nothing to send in, just enter receipt number online).]