what kinda scale?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Big Bore Fan, Feb 3, 2010.

1. Big Bore Fan

Big Bore Fan

Let me start by saying that I by no means have alot of money to kick around and will be buying my reloading set-up one peice at a time. Any thoughts on a good electronic powder scale? I don't mind saving my pennies a little longer for a good scale vs. a cheap one that's not worth a dime. Thanks for the help.

2. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Best cheap scale is the Dillon Beam. Thats $55. After that your into the $75 to 150 range to get a good electric.

http://www.brianenos.com/store/be.scale.html

That is $75 and has a 20 year warranty, sold by a guy I trust. Used by people who say its a good scale. To me that is as cheap as I would go. ALWAYS check the warranty on these things before buying. Know who and how it works. A set of check weights is a good idea. Make sure they include the weight you will use often.

3. Mystic Knight

Mystic Knight Mystic Knight

4. Big Bore Fan

Big Bore Fan

I thought the good electronic scales where easier to read and more acqurate. Why stay away from them? Keep in mind I have neaver used eather one, the electronic ones just look user friendley.

5. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

You choice personal choice of scale is a good one... but your comment regarding the electronic scales at work... I would guess to say they are cheap pieces of garbage.

They are when you buy a good one... I have and use the Dillon D-Terminator, it is accurate and settles almost immediately with no hunting, Much like the very high end precision electronic measuring equipment I use every day at work. Yes big bucks in comparison to a beam but I like it alot.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  6. dudel

dudel

+1. You can buy a cheap electronic scale, but in all likelyhood, you'll end up spending to buy another scale. If you can't afford a digital scale in the $100+ range, get a good mechanical scale. Dillon's mechanical scale is very good, and a good value. You'll get good results from Hornady, RCBS or Lyman as well.

I would not recommend a used scale, as you don't know how it's been manitained or abused.

Check weights are also a good idea.

7. dudel

dudel

Good (expensive) ones are. Bad (cheap) ones are not. The bad ones will not return to zero, will hunt for the weight, won't settle, are picky about battery voltage, etc. All these problems are overcome with better quality (more expensive) scale components.

Not sure about more accurate. A beam scale can be pretty accurate. Don't confuse accuracy with resolution. Having a digital scale with more numbers after the decimal point doesn't make it more accurate.

8. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Beam scales are a great option. I know they look kinda hard to use but they are not. A quality electric scale is very nice. You have to think RCBS/Dillon/Etc. all pay someone else to make thier scale. Then tack on the profit when their name goes on the scale. Same goes for the beam scale (many good ones made by Ohaus). Difference is most beam scales are used in labs and are not read out in grns. Electric one can easily adjust to grs,crts,grams,etc. So you can get a decent "non-name brand" electric for a little less then a name brand electric. Still, expect to pay at least $75. Even then I am leary of the cheaper name brand digitals. Everyone is out to make a buck and your uneducated preconcived notion (no offence meant) is what pushes them to offer a digital scale as cheaply as possible. Unless you are loading with a trickler you may just want to try the beam first. It's not hard, it's a 5-10+ seconds or so slower per weight starting from scratch (depending on how close you are to the weight you have on the scale). If you have it set to 4.1 grs and you put a 4.1 grs charge in the pan it will settle in about 1 sec and take almost no more time then a digital.

9. fudd

fudd

10. Big Bore Fan

Big Bore Fan

Ok I've been lookin around the net and taking what I have learned here I've narrowed it down I think. Give me your thoughts on these.
    Lyman 1000 xp
    RCBS rangemaster 750 and
    Ohaus cs-200

11. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

RCBS 5-0-5
    Dillion Exterminator

Both made by Ohaus so I guess the cs-200 as well....

12. thorn137

thorn137 Walther

RCBS 5-0-5 beam scale.

thorn

13. fredj338

fredj338

A good digital is just as good as a good balance. Krap scales of iether are just that. I can recommend either the Dillon balance or digital. Always accurate, zero easily, very repeatable.

14. gator378

gator378 Gator378

The secret to electronic scales is do not turn them off. Leave them on all the time. Spent the last 20 years as a chemist and the electronic scales are reliable and accurate if you leave them on. Also they must be on a very stable table of platform.

15. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Like your reloading bench with a press on it that gets jostled around while you use the press. ;)

16. outdoorguy

outdoorguy

17. kcbrown

kcbrown

Their price is rather high for that particular scale, if it's the one I think it is. It appears to me the very same scale can be had from other (also reputable) sources for about $50 (same warranty and everything, but you don't get the powder pan/funnel).

But Brian Enos is a very good vendor and is worth supporting.

18. nytehawk

nytehawk

I chose to go with the RCBS 5-0-5 beam scale (also recommended by several others above) and have been very satisfied with it. It is easy to use and reliable.

19. Wizz

Wizz

RCBS Rangemaster 750 for an electronic scale. After a lot of research it seemed to be the best electronic scale in the ~$100 range from the reviews I've read. I like it a lot, very accurate, comes with two calibrations weights, and it comes with a metal powder cup and not a plastic one...gun powder sticks to the plastic cups (static). Also has a plug in electronic supply...as most electronic scales you should let them warm up a bit before use. .02

Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  20. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Uniquetek has the same scale/warranty with a pan, for $59.

That said, I don't like electronic scales that do not have a power supply. If you can't afford a good electronic scale w/ a power supply, I'd get a good beam scale, a couple of which have been mentioned here. As others have said, I'd rather have a quality beam scale, than a cheap digital.

IGF

Last edited: Feb 6, 2010