close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What kind of medical equipment does your department put in its patrol cars?

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by AggiePhil, Jan 25, 2010.

1. AggiePhil

AggiePhil ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Howdy all. I'm working on a project at my department to revamp the first aid kits that we carry in the trunks of the patrol cars. Just to give you some background, I've been an EMT for about 9 years and a cop for about 3.5 years. It's a bit embarrassing, but the kits that we currently carry contain a lot of unnecessary items and have also fallen into disrepair. They generally just need a complete overhaul.

What I need you to do is just tell me what kind of medical equipment your department puts in its patrol cars. Give me as much detail as possible about the contents of the kit, to the best of your knowledge. Also, please tell me about any training and/or policy that exists in relation to the first aid kits (maintenance, usage, etc.). This is important, as my department is very training/policy minded.

In my research thus far, I've found that the recent trend among departments has been away from "boo boo kits" which contain items that police officers really have no business using (like Bandaids, snake bite kits, etc.) and toward "blow out kits" or "gunshot wound kits" that an officer might have to use in a SHTF situation to save his life or the life of one of his partners. After all, the first thing they teach you in EMT school is that you don't go into a scene until it's safe. So if there's still a chance that a danger exists, EMS isn't going in there and you (or your partner) could die in the meantime. Because of this, we as cops need some basic lifesaving tools...just in case. After all, we spend all kinds of time and money practicing to put holes IN people, but we never really prepare for what to do if we wind up with holes IN our own bodies. That seems rather backwards, especially when some basic skills and tools can go a long ways.

I appreciate any information that y'all can give me about the medical equipment that your department provides for you. Thanks again. :cool:

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  2. Steve in PA

Steve in PA

I think we have some bandaids...........

3. blueiron

blueiron

Since the only training the entire department got was rescue breathing during annual in-service; we got a plastic box with a protective rescue mask, bandaids, some Kling, and 4x4 gauze pads. Nothing else was issued.

4. CJStudent

CJStudent No Longer Fenced In

Each officer is issued a CPR mask and gloves in a pouch for our belt. In each vehicle, from what I've seen it's just a standard regular first aid kit (bandaids and such). This is a corrections agency, btw, and vehicles are used primarily for transports. There may be more advanced gear in the CERT truck, but I'm not on CERT.

5. p.d.

p.d.

CPR mask, basic first aid kit and SAED.

6. CJStudent

CJStudent No Longer Fenced In

I forgot, we do have AEDs available in most locations around the institution.

7. trifecta

trifecta

Are you a rural department or urban/suburban?

8. Horror

Horror Polizei

We have a first aid kid and some cars have a AED.

9. Gangrel

Gangrel

Suburban (high density) department

we carry one of those "first aid" kits you can buy at Walgreens... and some anti bacterial gel. That's about it, anything else is up to the officer to purchase.

10. OLY-M4gery

OLY-M4gery

AED
    a "jump bag" with bandages, etc.

They are talking about tourniquets, quick-clot, and a trauma dressing, being added.

11. AggiePhil

AggiePhil ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Are you asking me? If so, I guess you'd say urban/suburban.

12. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

We had this radio in our cars that we used to call the station and tell them to send the EMT's.

13. BirdDog239

BirdDog239 Sheep Dog

The first aid kit in my cruiser was basically in the same condition. When I needed to use the kit I found I really didn't have much capability since a bottle containing some liquid ruptured and leaked all over everything making a sticky mess.

So I went to the FD and asked them for some help. They really took care of my first aid kit. First thing we did was throw away all of the supplies that had been ruined; which was 90 percent of what I had. I was really just qualified to do CPR and apply direct pressure to a bleeding wound; with that in mind, they loaded my fist aid kit to my level of medical training.

1-box of rubber gloves
    1-large sterile burn sheet
    10-various size sponges/rolls of gauze
    1-roll of medical tape (plastic type tape)
    2-multi-purpose triangular sling
    1-box of ammonia capsules
    2-CPR Mask
    2-paper dust mask
    1-protective suit
    1-cold compress

And if all that fails I guess that is what the package containing a white sheet is for.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  14. Imnotascoolasu

Imnotascoolasu

tampons and feminine wash for the rookies that have a sand in ****** issue...:whistling:

BTW I'm not a cop, just a hopeful at this point, but it needed to be said :tongueout:

15. BirdDog239

BirdDog239 Sheep Dog

Is there anything that you think I should add to my kit that would require little to no training to use and give my more capability?

16. blueiron

blueiron

Hand made by Guglielmo Marconi too.

17. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

We have all the usual bandages and tape, CPR mask, the yellow plastic blanket, safety glasses, gloves, chemical ice pack (crush it and it gets cold), trauma bandage. I also carry a Quik-Clot bandage and a couple rolls of Kerlix in my aw-**** bag.

18. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

Which is why I always had trouble using it because I didn't speak Italian.

:tongueout: :rofl:

19. Narc1911

Narc1911 Anchora Salutis

My department just supplies rubber gloves, CPR masks, Band-Aids, Purell, and decon wipes.

20. Hedo1

Hedo1

Israeli Bandages. They are the easiest to use. Pack or two of Celox. Both of these will help with deep or arterial wounds that can kill you or someone else before EMT's can arrive. Get the EMT's in your area to show you how and when they are used. $50 will get you two bandages and a packet of Celox.

The other thing that is cheap and effective to carry is a bottle of chewable baby aspirin. These can be a big help if you or someone else is having chest pains. The chewable ones get into the system very fast compared to regular aspirin pills. Probably about $2...get the berry flavored ones:cool:

http://www.redflarekits.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=rfes&Category_Code=cl

Redflare is a Glocktalk merchant. I've bought from them before and they are reliable and have good pricing.