What kind of holster for my 50+ year old pops?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by drider, Feb 6, 2010.

1. drider

drider

Hi all, my dad has a Glock 21 he is not much a gun enthusiast, hunted in his teens, and pretty much stopped since he started his family. His Glock is fairly new and he needs a holster! I was thinking something, simple and cheap because you know how some dads are 'hard headed' you buy things for him and he won't use it! For this reason, i was thinking a kydex belt holster, some $20, but i know, i know he likes the $100 leather basket weave holsters like he has for his old S&W model 59. But, what do you all think, holster will be used just on range trips. So for you 50+year olds, what would you want, i think i may go with a kydex for my dad since the G21 sits in the safe most of the time. :whistling: Blackhawk serpa? pretty secure stuff? Retention?

2. maddyfish

maddyfish left this *****

I like my Serpa, good price $25, very secure retention, open moderately concealable though.

3. drider

drider

thanks, that is what i'm thinking, since he does not even use the holster that much, I think i may get a kydex one, instead of leather. I was thinking about it, and i said if our military people are using the blackhawk serpas and carrying it horizontally on their chests i think it is secure enough.

4. Moonfish

Moonfish CLM

[​IMG]

I'm 52 and I can tell you any self respecting 50+ year old will need a Milt Sparks VMII in horse with shark trim that includes a matching belt and mag holders like mine. Show him how much you care. :)

5. Wizz

Wizz

Hi, since he likes leather my humble 'opinion' is stick with leather...most older men appreciate a good piece of leather. I got my 60+ yr old dad an OWB pancake holster recently ('The Countryboy') from RGrizzle (www.rgrizzleleather.com). Less than $80 to the door for a comfortable and concealable leather OWB holster, turn around is quick too since most custom holster makers are at 4+ months. My dad is happy with his, and I have a couple of 'Countryboys' myself for two different brands of pistols and they are both very comfortable and adequately concealable (yrmv naturally), they did replace my VM2 since I ended up preferring OWB carry once I fnially tried it. Simply sharing my own experineces, best of luck and hope your dad enjoys!

Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  6. Moonfish

Moonfish CLM

7. up1911fan

up1911fan

Mitch Rosen 5JR Express, $75 and Dillon Precision will have it two you in a few day's.

8. NC Bullseye

NC Bullseye

Sheesh, do you need it to attach to a walker or work with your pants pulled up to the arm pits?:rofl:

I'm a fair piece above 50 and after reading your post I

Dang, forgot I was typing. What was the question?

:supergrin:

I love my C-Tac but it's for daily carry. A nice leather holster from Mitch Rosen Milt Sparks or a kydex Serpa will fit the range bill fine.

Being a good son you could always get him one of each! :whistling:

9. RickD6023

RickD6023

10. NMPOPS

NMPOPS

I'm 56 and I like picking out my own holsters. I have box full to prove it.

11. randyc74

randyc74 Custom Holster Maker

Picking a holster for your dad is like picking a pistol for your spouse. It's better if they find the one they like themselves.

Randy

12. drider

drider

Firstly, thank you for your responses! My dad is the kinda individual that does not know what he wants himself, he had his Glock for almost a year already and no holster! I think i may go with a simple Don hume minimalist type holster, i mean retention wise he's not going to be running and gunning his Glock, but still sticking old school with a leather! Thanks all, i know i know to make it up I'll be him an expensive fishing rod! G- Loomis for you fishermans!

13. NC Bullseye

NC Bullseye

Enjoy your time together whether shooting or fishing. I wish I had that opportunity.

14. beforeobamabans

beforeobamabans FYPM

:thumbsup: This is the answer. Us old guys tend to prefer pure, handcrafted leather. I just got a Brommeland Max Con V and absolutely love it.

15. jmsfmtex

jmsfmtex

You say 50+ as if he is unable to do anything anymore. Handle a gun at 50, WOW. It is funny as we get older we find we can do just as many things as when we were younger. In some cases even better and in others not as good. I do not think you meant to be rude but I think you could just have pointed out some idiosyncrasies of your father without pointing to his age. If you know him so well you should be able to ascertain which type of holster would be best for him. Just my TCW.

16. stengun

stengun

Howdy,

My 72 yo Dad carries a G20 in a glock sport holster. He has been doing that since the early '90s.

Paul

17. moncoacp

moncoacp

You actually carry your Dad in a holster? I make mine use a walker.

18. drider

drider

haha, you guys are too much sometimes!