What kind of gun hold is this ??

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by quantico, Oct 16, 2020.

1. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

I assumed it was a model 10. How is a model 14 different

2. fastbolt

fastbolt

In the 50's & 60's people were trained to shoot revolvers a bit differently than what was seen in the 80's.

"Close range" was often considered to extend out to 10yds (1-handed hip shooting), and it wasn't unusual to expect a shooter to make hits out to 75yds shooting DA. (They were still expecting us to accurately shoot DA revolvers out to 50yds by the time I came on.)

This short 16min film from '61 might interest some folks.
    https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/...216427abfffaea649cb6871ec65bf83d&action=click

shadowgunner9 and Inyo Tim like this.

3. Mikegti

Mikegti

A model 10 has fixed sights. A model 14 has adjustable sights and a 6' barrel.

4. AdobeGlock

AdobeGlock

Cops were super cool back in the day and played tennis with movie stars off duty so tennis elbow was a problem when shooting bad guys. Duh!

5. Inyo Tim

Inyo Tim Senior Moment

At my re-qual for my carry permit, the range master made me change from the tea cup to the one hand over the other grip.
    By the next stage, I had changed back without thinking. This happened over and over.

I never thought of this. Yes, a mag blowing into the support hand could do some damage.

6. ericjhowley1

ericjhowley1

As a shooter and historian this is an older technique that works quite well. Shooting styles come and go and this is one of them. In this picture the stance is not being demonstrated quite correctly. If right handed, the left elbow should be tucked into the rib cage for support to create a rest. The 1970s became a turning point when 2 handed stances became acceptable. Before this time, this was simply an unacceptable way to shoot. As another photo here shows, one handed shooting was the "proper way" to shoot a handgun with the opposite hand at the small of of the back or tucked in a waist band or gun belt. Many of yesteryears officers were more proficient shooters given A) with only 6 shots you wanted to make sure you could get it right B) many departments had competing shooting teams which held the key to social standing and potential promotions within the department. C) backup often was not accessible (although riding two man cars was more common) and consisted of getting to a call box or a crackling or unclear car radio (which is why dispatch and officers on old movies spoke slow and concisely and often repeated transmissions) or perhaps a citizen that was willing to lend a helping hand and D) an expert marksman badge worn on one's uniform was a great sense of pride. It's unfortunate much of this shooting culture within police work has been lost. Instead a libellous and politically correct culture has dictated a pass or fail qualification.

Sent from my LM-X210APM using Tapatalk

Inyo Tim likes this.