close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What kind of fishing line you use?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by DR. HOUSE, Mar 31, 2010.

1. DR. HOUSE

DR. HOUSE Everybody Lies

I starded using this last year and got "hooked" on it. Works great and knots are easy to tie and they stay tied. It is a braid type of line. I have used spider wire and fireline previously and IMOP, this excedes both those.

The 30 Lb. test would be equivalent to the diameter of 8 Lb. test in mono.

40 Lb. = 10 Lb. Mono.
    50 Lb. = 12 Lb. Mono.

So, same diameter but much stronger.

[​IMG]

I just got a new mitchell spinning reel and another 150 Ft. of the power pro to put on. This setup will be going on my Whoopin Stick.

It should be a walleye catching son of a gun.

Anyone fish for walleye?

2. Sr. Bang Bang

Sr. Bang Bang

I used to use "Stren Super Braid" which was a lot like Power Pro, but softer. They don't make it anymore

3. NC-G27

NC-G27

I used to use braided, but 2 years ago, I got to using P-Line and love it...

4. paynter2

paynter2 It ain't over Millennium Member

I fish for walleye almost exclusively. I do fish for steel head in the spring and hit the local trout streams on occasion.

I rarely use 'super' lines. they are just too unforgiving in rocks and stumps. I just use good quality monofilament - generally Trilene or Stren. The stretch in the line allows me to 'pop' from snags more often than braided line.

Super lines are great and I use them when I can. But typically I have mono on my reels.

5. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

Fusion SpiderWire is very good stuff.

6. The Hawk

The Hawk

Thanks for the info. I use the monofilament line that came in my reel but am thinking about changing. I went fishing last week and hooked a bigger fish than I had planned on. I got it to the bank and it broke my line. I will be re-spooling with that Spectra power pro.

7. dave333

dave333

Been using power pro on my inshore stuff for 3 yrs now. The line color has faded but the line itself is just as strong. I dont see ever going back to mono. Still using mono on my offshore stuff mainly because it would cost an absolute fortune to load them all up with braid.

8. DR. HOUSE

DR. HOUSE Everybody Lies

So when you fish for walleye, what kind of hardware do you use at the end of the line?

In a boat or on shore?

9. paynter2

paynter2 It ain't over Millennium Member

Typically a jig and minnow - sometimes a crawler. I have a neat pond about a quarter mile from my house that is full of rainbow chubs. I can catch about 10 dozen in any given morning - at least through June.

I back-troll most of the time to cover more water. If I get on top of an active school I may pitch a jig to them.

Sometimes I Lindy rig with a plain hook or maybe a small spinner.

When my father was still alive I used to tie big crawler rigs - #5 Colorado blades with Gamakatsu (or some other premium brand) hooks. We'd long line these with bait casting reels and 7 foot trolling rods. This rig was deadly. I always used braided line for this - but not the highest quality - it wasn't necessary for this work - anything with little or no stretch was fine. Over the years, Dad and I boated 13 walleye 30 inches or more.

Ha! From the front of the rig to the tail of the crawler was about 12-16 inches and those hogs would hit the hell out of it.

Back to the thread - back-trolling or jigging in heavy rocks or stumpy reservoirs causes lots of snags. I seem to get more jigs back with mono - not to mention not breaking an expensive rod when trying to 'pop' loose while using braid.

Edited to add: In really rocky or stumpy work I'll use a light (1/8 or 1/16) jig and let out as much line as necessary to keep it on the bottom. The lighter jigs don't seem to snag as quickly or as often.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  10. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Trilene Smoothcast XL. 12 or 14lb. I've got one reel strung with braid - Stren Sonic. 20lb test (in 6lb diameter, IIRC) for my daughter to fish - better hooksets. Haven't really used it yet.

11. DR. HOUSE

DR. HOUSE Everybody Lies

Jig is about all I use. The part about braid snagging is true. Its a ***** when you get it snagged. I had to cut a few lines.

12. m2hmghb

m2hmghb

I use a good monofilament unless I'm going to the ocean or going for hybrid striped bass or tiger muskies.

13. G31

G31 Millennium Member

Been using braided line for a while. I'm not a big fishing guy, but do enough of it. Right now, I have Stren Super Braid 70 lb. in my reel.

14. geofri

geofri Poikilotherm™ Lifetime Member

I've just been thinking about trying braided line! Couple of my friends just bought some.

Ive always just used the cheapest mono line...

I may just give that stuff a try.. is it expensive?

(love eatin' me some good walleye!)

15. glock19 lover

glock19 lover

I LOVE Power Pro, IMO that's the best braid you can buy. Like you said its easy to tie knots and they hold, it also cast so nice. I have it on all my bait casters and I can cast a country mile with this line on. :rofl:

16. RCP

RCP

50lb+ braid spider wire in my catfish rods

4lb mono spider wire in my crappie rigs

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  17. THEPOPE

THEPOPE Nibb

I wonder if it could work with my bass-jig fishing set ups ......

I may have to give it a try, as is, I use Berkely Transition Flouro-carbon line on a med-heavy rod , at least 17 pound line, sometimes 20.

I don't lose big fish, if I can help it....I trophy fish, keep nothing, set 'em loose, alive and well. Release does work, I have caught tagged fish a few times.

I am out...fishing season is nearly upon me....WOOOOO-HOOOOOOOOO ! !...:cool:

18. I.Hate.Glocks.

I.Hate.Glocks.

I use a 8-10lb of Power Pro on my Mitchells. 300, 304, 308... also use med action Ugly Stiks and cast lightweight artificial lures to smallmouth :wavey: and its just about time :wavey:

19. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

Its all good. The braids have the disadvantage of being very unforgiving on a baitcasting reel in terms of over spooling (birds' nests). Also, the braid have a reputation for cutting grooves in the cheaper line guides on some poles which will eventually end up in cut line.

The flouro-carbon lines are great because they are very strong, virtually invisible compared to mono and super strong. The disadvantages are there is a lot of line memory especially in colder temps.

With both braid and flouro you need to probably use a better knot then you used with mono. Learn a Palomar or some such.

Nothing wrong with mono. Its still very good, effective and inexpensive stuff. But when it comes to pulling out a 5 or 6 lb bass out of the weeds or sunken timber its hard to beat braid.

As I said, braid is hard to cast on a baitcaster even for some experienced folks.

20. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Cosmopolitan Bias

I've used PowerPro for years now. Its got its plusses and minuses. I fish baitcasters exclusively --and the backlashes are super nasty with PP. I don't even bother with them any more. I just pick up another R&R to finish the trip.

Regarding cost: Know that its not necessary to spool the entire reel with braid. You can spool the majority of it with cheaper mono and then just tie on braid for the last 75 yds or so....just so you have enough to cast and still have a few wraps of braid on the spool.

some even prefer it this way since a spool full of braid can have a tendency to "bed down" on the spool really tightly....especially on baitcasters.