What kind of cereal?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by Str8shootr, Nov 10, 2005.

1. Str8shootr

Str8shootr

What kind of cereal do you eat in the morning or during the day?

My Dad has has bad constipation (result of chemo) and when I took him to a new doctor this week the doctor said the only cereal he wanted him to eat was FibreOne. He stated it is the cereal with the highest fibre content. So we bought some.

I had some this morning (one cup serving) wasn't too bad, but I started checking the other boxes of cereal for fibre contant: Shredded Wheat, Total, Special K and they all said they provided the same fibre content. When I do eat cereal I usually eat quality cereal, but now I am really confused.;Q ;Q

2. cop1215

cop1215 GLOCKS KICK ASS

just eat good old fashioned oatmeal...its been around forever and its good for you.

3. DBradD

DBradD

Responding to a Question With a Question: Why eat cereal for breakfast? It just makes me hungry again almost immediately due to the high glycemic index. Even the better, supposedly more healthy ones do this, although not as bad as the sugary ones. About 4-5 years ago, I just started eating typical lunch and dinner food for breakfast -- been a lot happier since then. I'm curious to know if I'm the only one who does this. I don't know anybody else that does.

DBD

4. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

I eat the night befores left over meat for breakfast. I always cook extra for that reason....cheese burger, steak, porkmchop, brats, chicken and so on..

5. cop1215

cop1215 GLOCKS KICK ASS

lucky charms for me...they're magically delecious.

6. Mister Joshua

Mister Joshua Sig Addiction

McCann's Irish Oatmeal.

7. steves1017

steves1017

I start every day with a bowl of old-fashioned oatmeal with two tablespoons of ground flaxseed on top. Then, I use Soy milk on top.

Wouldn't hurt to start on fish oil capsules...I think they assist in elimination also.

8. ajstrider

ajstrider Silent Warrior

Oatmeal is always good, just watch the sugar. I've been eating some cereal called Go Lean, it has tons of fiber and more protein than I have seen in a cereal. I think it is made by Kashi or something like that. Make sure to get the protein one, they make a couple different kinds.

9. cj5

cj5

what steves1017 says....

don't forget to have your egg whites too. breakfast should be your biggest meal of the day. load up on those carbs (oatmeal).

and yes steves, they do assist in elimination....

10. seamus

seamus

I second mr joshua. McCann's Irish oatmeal has a lot of fiber. the It has 4 grams of dietary fiber, 2g of soluble fiber and 2g of insoluble fiber per 1/2 cup serving.

11. DonCT

DonCT

Yes, but will it make you a manbeast? ;f

Grape Nuts for me, with 1/2 teaspoon of Splenda.

12. Dandapani

Dandapani

Ditto, but sans the Splenda, and I use three large spoonfuls of low fat unflavored yogurt instead of milk and also add about a quarter cup of raisans.

13. DonCT

DonCT

Another thought is to buy those big bags of dried fruit pieces from the warehouse stores and use about 1/4 cup. I'll also use honey as a sweetener sometimes for that crunchy-sticky-sweet experience.

P.S. If you're out of Grape Nuts, just fill a bowl with fishtank gravel. Texture is about the same.

14. SouthernGal

SouthernGal What's Up Dox?

FiberOne and Total & Special K are NOT even close on fiber content. FiberOne has more than any other cereal on the market. Comparatively speaking, Total & Special K do not even come close to it.

Rasin Bran, FiberOne, Wheat Bran are all pretty good on fiber content. There's also "Blueberry Morning" which has a pretty good content on it as well.

Both my mom and my ex-H had medical conditions which required that they eat a diet full of fiber. If your father is having issues, it's good to incorporate fiber as a part of his whole day, not just breakfast. You'd be shocked looking at what you think is 'whole' wheat bread and seeing that the fiber content is almost nothing. Look for a bread with at least 3 grams of fiber per slice. Some tortillas also have up to 8 grams of fiber per fajita sized "wrap".

15. pellertpale

pellertpale ReMember

GV Crunchy Nuggets with dried mixed berries, cherries, or raisins.

16. JesseCuster

JesseCuster Army Dude Millennium Member

If I'm in a hurry I eat cereal for breakfast, but I don't have much energy and I quickly feel burned out. I do much better on eggs (or Egg Beaters, or egg whites) and wheat tortillas.

17. Romeo

Romeo

I eat Special K low carb everyday.

18. utmstudent

utmstudent

cereal is BAD its a processed food. Anything processed is bad. Oats is about the only exception. Oats in the morning is thebest. Also is yoru taking in shakes, only take them PWO (post workout) and with your oats. Drinking these will produce an insulin spike and in short will make your body store fat easier. the only time a insulin spike is ok is after your workout (PWO) and in the morning.

Not to mention the milk alone has enough surgar in it

19. cop1215

cop1215 GLOCKS KICK ASS

university of tennessee at martin?....go pacers beeytotch!!!!

20. SouthernGal

SouthernGal What's Up Dox?

This is a good option considering the wheat tortilla. Most of the ones out there that are fajita sized have about 8gm of fiber each.