close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What its like to shoot a tank

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by CPTCHAOS, Feb 15, 2010.

1. CPTCHAOS

CPTCHAOS

Every once in a while somebody asks me what its like to shoot a tank like the Abrams M1A2. Well here you go.

It all starts with the tank commander. The Tank commander or TC for short sees a target.. US Army TC’s are trained to keep their head out of the turret. In other words they are not supposed to keep their head inside the turret. If they do the tank is blind. To facilitate this the TC stands on his seat. Lets say he sees an enemy tank.

He yells out a FIRE COMMAND. It sounds like this:

DRIVER STOP!

GUNNER-SABOT-TANK. This means gunner wake up, loader load a SABOT round and the target is a tank. The TC then slews the turret by what is called TC override which is a joystick like you would find on a fighter plane. He does not put his head in the turret but keeps his eyes on the target

When the gunner sees the target through his own sight he yells IDENTIFIED! At which time the TC lets go of the TC Overide and he yells FIRE. The gunner yells ON THE WAY! And BANG the whole tank shakes and a huge orange blast covers the front of the tank.. Assuming the enemy tank is hit and destroyed the TC yells TARGET CEASE FIRE. And the crew is ready for another engagement.

So to sum it up if you want to know what it sounds like in a tank have someone scream the following script right in your ear as loud as they can:

GUNNER SABOT TANK!
    UP !
    IDENTIFIED!
    FIRE !
    ON THE WAY!
    TARGET! CEASE FIRE!

Or if you want to shoot a bunch of tanks…..

GUNNER SABOT 5 TANKS LEFT ONE FIRST
    IDENITIFIED !
    FIRE!
    ON THE WAY!
    TARGET NEXT TANK RIGHT
    FIRE !
    ON THE WAY
    TARGET NEXT TANK RIGHT

ETC
    ETC

A good crew can see a target and have a round down range in 5 seconds. And that is why our tank crews are the best in the world.
    [​IMG]

2. buckhunter3987

buckhunter3987

I would never want to shoot a tank, I imagine my glock will simply alert those inside to my presence and I will quickly be dispached.

:tongueout:

3. RedHaze

RedHaze Handgunner

Tanks are loud. And they need a grunt phone on both sides in the back.

I nearly BBQ'ed myself back when I was a boot...

4. MooseJaw

MooseJaw NRA Lifer CLM

That's awesome!! But you let one Tank get away.. :whistling:

5. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Well let's see:

1) Find a tank that needs shot
    2) Get a good laser spot on it and set up an auto HellFire shot
    3) Spin up a missile to your own laser code
    4) Make sure missile is tracking laser spot
    5) Step on pedal for 10-20 degree offset to the side the missile's on
    6) Launch missile
    7) Watch as tank goes bye bye or at least is no longer a threat to anyone or anything.

It's kinda cool to shoot a tank, in all honesty.

6. John Galt

John Galt Anti-Federalist

7. stooxie

stooxie NRA Life Member

:laughabove:

I was waiting for that! Thanks for posting.

Not much subtlety in the armed forces, is there?

-Stooxie

8. CPTCHAOS

CPTCHAOS

To shoot a helicopter
    GUNNER SABOT CHOPPER
    IDENTIFIED
    FIRE
    Muzzle velocity is a mile a second
    incoming missile a heck of alot less

9. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

If one's bad enough to stay put for that long and stays where you can see him for that long he deserves it. 3K max range? Gotta reach out further than that to even get in the fight :supergrin:

10. geminicricket

geminicricket NRA Life member

All my life, the West tanks have outclassed, outmaneuvered, and outshot the East tanks. I hope that continues.

11. CPTCHAOS

CPTCHAOS

Oh I almost forgot: To tankers the infantry is known as CRUNCHIES. That is the sound they make when the treads roll over them ........something like the sound a cockroach makes when you step on them.

12. tlkuns

tlkuns

I've never been able to sneak up close enough to a tank to shoot it. I hear they're pretty well armored.

13. Carolina Drifter

Carolina Drifter CLM

I always liked the extra protection around me.

14. jaysouth

jaysouth

We really have not had any one on one experience with top of the line soviet or chinese stuff. Nor have we faced the well disciplined and trained Russian and Chinese crews that operate them.

However, when faced with the "monkey models" that they sell to arabs, and operated by illiterate arabs, our kill ratio is thousands to 0.

Has one of our tankers ever been killed in a tank by enemy fire in the sandbox?

In desert storm, we destroyed thousands and thousands of monkey model Russian tanks operated by the rakis. If memory serves correctly, we lost one to enemy fire with no fatalities.

The real fun part is that iraq had not paid for most of them yet.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  15. EdTracker

EdTracker GTDS Lifetime Member

oh I know what it is like to shoot.

I have a G20C and the concussive blast is so great that all adjacent lanes targets are destroyed!

The Abrams 120mm gun is just 12 of my G20's :p

16. PA Wizard

PA Wizard

Thanks Cptchaos for a ride down memory lane!! It's been almost 40 years since I've heard that litany!! And I STILL can recite it by heart!! Trained on an m48 Patton, served in combat in an m551 Sheridan, and taught at Knox on the m60!!! We used to tell all the grunts, Uncle Sam likes us best!! We get to ride to work!! LOL

Again thanks for the memories!!

Wiz

17. eisman

eisman ARGH! CLM

Not DAT's!

CDAT's!

Some of us remember the upgrade.

Note the "Driver Stop" is only for the range.

18. eisman

eisman ARGH! CLM

You need to go back to school and study volume. A circle 20mm in dia. looks pretty empty when filled with 12 circles of 10mm dia.

19. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

<====11 years in M1/M1A1 Tanks in the US Army

You do not tell your driver to stop. The M1A1(or 2) is fully capable of handling any precision engagement on the move. Its bad juju to stop when you can see the enemy (and he can see you) as a moving target is harder to acquire and hit. :upeyes:

The Tank Commander usually goes into an engagement with his hatch in a position known as "protected cover" which provides some form of overhead cover but also allows good visibility. In most engagements I shot my head was on the commander's eyepiece verifying the range and that the gunner in fact has the correct target in his gunsight. My hand was also on the commander's override which allowed me the option of overriding the gunner's controls. You can't really do any of the above with our head out of the tank. Lastly, you don't want your head outside of the tank when the 120 goes off... Not saying I wasn't up and looking around when the situation required. But when you are "fighting a tank" you won't do well with a headless TC and a 3 man crew...

20. Reheater

Reheater Yarr

The stuff the Russians and Chinese have arent any better than the stuff the "highly trained and well funded" Republican Guard divisions used. Most of the updates of the T-80 and T-90 series tanks had to do with battlefield sensors and networking, they are still decades behind us in both those fields. The 90 series is based on the same hull design of the T-72, same ammunition storage as well and we've seen how that works against a Sabot at range much less in close. The closest equivilant to an Abrams are the Challanger II, Leapords, and maybe the Le Clerc but even then the crews dont put in the range and drill time our guys do. To date we have lost no Tank Crews to Enemy fire from direct engagements. That however doesnt count IED's, VBIEDs, and accidents (rolloevers into canals and off bridges being the big ones).

And before any Tankers get on here and chime in with their invincibility, yes there is virtually nothing that will fire into the front turret Armor of an Abrams and stand any chance of killing the crew. However My Hellfire comes in from the roof, and my slant range far out reaches your Thunderstick.