What isS it with Minnesota and Harbor Freight?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by SleeperSS, Aug 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SleeperSS

SleeperSS

Catalog came in the mail today. As I was browsing thru it, there was a US Flag coupon. In fine print it says Not available in MN. Are they flying the ISIS flag there or something?

2. Ghost doctor

Ghost doctor N.R.A life member. G.O.A member

Probably.

MO Fugga likes this.

3. kiole

kiole

It’s because they require all US flags sold within the state to be made in the United States.

Rotn1, MNBud, pittpa and 8 others like this.
  4. SleeperSS

SleeperSS

Didn't know that...going there tomorrow for some tie down straps...I'll check it out.

5. -JCN-

-JCN-

Here's an article on the law:
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/2008/07/03/minnesota-requires-american-flags-to-be-made-in-usa.html

Minnesota Requires American Flags to Be Made in the USA
    Published July 03, 2008
    Associated Press
    Facebook Twitter Email Print

MINNEAPOLIS – Any American flags bought in Minnesota for this July 4th will be made in the USA — thanks to a state law that went into effect this year after some lawmakers said it was un-American to have the country's flag made overseas.

"Real patriotism also includes valuing the work of American workers," said Rep. Tom Anzelc, DFL-Balsam Township, a co-sponsor of the flag law. "I think that's just as patriotic as displaying the flag."

The law requires all flags sold in the state to be made in the USA, and would hit violators with up to a $1,000 fine and 90 days in jail.

Some retailers haven't noticed a big difference.

"We've only sold American-made flags for years, and we've never had problems with sales," said American Flagpole & Flag owner Matt Knowlan. "The flag is the symbol of the United States, and it's how Americans show pride."

But not everyone is a fan.

Imad Ardah, co-owner of Alamo Flags in the Mall of America, said he thinks fewer people will be flying American flags.

"Too many people cannot afford the flags made in the USA," Ardah said. "One of my American flags that costs $39 used to cost just $19. That's double the price!"

Ardah, a U.S. citizen who emigrated from Jordan in 1991, said the foreign-made flags and the American-made ones are of similar quality.

Ardah said his store hasn't seen a big drop in the sale of American flags, and he still sells a few hundred per month. He said that before he switched to American-made flags, about 10 percent of his customers refused to buy the imported flags.

"For a lot of people, it's very meaningful to have their flags made in the USA," Ardah said. "There's nothing wrong with that. But give them a choice."

Lidya Johnson, a 39-year-old Bloomington native, said the higher prices were going to hamper her July 4th celebration.

"I'm going to have to buy smaller flags, even though I'm spending the same amount," she said. "The government has no business telling me what I can and can't buy."

Ray Gummer, a projects manager at Washburn-McReavy Funeral Chapels, said the American-made flags have huge meaning for clients, especially veterans.

"When we do floral displays, we only use American-made because it's what they fought for," Gummer said. "I don't really care where the flags from other countries are made, but American flags should be American-made."

BigBull 301 likes this.
  6. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Why do you have to buy new flags for the 4th? I buy basic flags. If I take in at night, before known storms... They look good @6 months. If only used half dozen days a yr. they should last decades.

P99er likes this.
  7. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

It's Super America's fault. How dare they disrespect our troops!

I need to be angry about something!

medic2258 and TBO like this.
  8. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

I also believe all American flags should be made in America!

9. fatduk1963

fatduk1963

Me too , the American flag has been fought and paid for with the BLOOD of AMERICAN soldiers.

10. Geeorge

Geeorge Sarcasm Inc.

11. pittpa

pittpa What did I come in here for?

Fortress of Solitude on 11th floor - SW PA 'burbs
  12. MNBud

MNBud

How about that A$$HAT, where are YOUR flags made,
    A proud Minnesotan.

13. SleeperSS

SleeperSS

All I had was a simple question which was answered in post #3. I'm not up on every statute in every state...are you? I guess I could stoop to your level...but I'm not in 6th grade.

medic2258 likes this.
  14. Rotn1

Rotn1

Good for Minnesota!

US Flags SHOULD all be made in the US. It's not just a piece of colored fabric to buy at the lowest price.

BigBull 301 and Joshhtn like this.
  15. Z71bill

Z71bill

So the bigger question here is -

What is more "American"

Allowing people to decide on their own - which product you can buy and which product you can't --

or

Having central planning (the government) decide which product you can purchase and which you can't --

Some of you are so "patriotic" you are willing to embrace communism. How sad is that?

You either want the government to be totally in control of every little detail of your life - or you want freedom.

You can't have both.

If given a choice (see what I did there) -- I will take having a choice (freedom) every damn time.

The thing is - allowing people freedom also requires you to accept some things you don't agree with - and in return you get to keep your own freedom. Because there will always be some things you do that others may not agree with.

16. RussP

RussP Super Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Closed for inappropriate behavior.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.