What is your take on lead bullets?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by SkipW, Feb 21, 2017.

1. SkipW

SkipW

Watching a video and a guy talking about the dangers of lead bullets. Never thought they were dangerous, well unless moving at a high rate of speed from a muzzle.

2. TScottW99

TScottW99 Bird Catcher

As long as you don't eat them, snort them or smelt them in a closed closet you'll be ok.

3. bac1023

bac1023

The video was probably referring to the leading of polygonal rifled barrels and the pressure it can cause.

ithaca_deerslayer and Valmet like this.
  4. Valmet

Valmet M62/76 Silver Member

What bac said! I shoot lead bullets in my .45 reloads in G-21. I have a KKM bbl that I use most of the time when I'm shooting those.

5. crockett

crockett

I stay away from all exposed lead bullets, even when reloading. Bought by accident 500 x .22LR rounds with lead bullets. Gifted them to the range owner back when .22LR was scarce. Made his day. Lead is also the reason why a try to avoid indoor ranges.

Jamie Haley and Deltic like this.
  6. norton

norton

Video might be speaking about the hazards of casting lead bullets. Water and lead are natural enemies.
    I cast my own, and as long as you don't eat, smoke, or drink while doing it, and you wash your hands thoroughly after, no issues.

7. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

I enjoy returning lead to the environment. Be aware my gun club every other year does a lead reclamation that gets it all back and they sell it.

happie2shoot and SkipW like this.
  8. norton

norton

The hazard of shooting at indoor ranges comes from the primers.

9. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

I did not want to reload while my daughter was young. I did not want powder and lead around the house. I still only use bullets that are all completely plated.

10. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

I hope they're not dangerous, I've shot close to 100K of them and plan on shooting another 100K over the next several years.

Bill McGlinchey and SkipW like this.
  11. crockett

crockett

Cambo, FLIPPER 348 and SkipW like this.
  12. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

I'm of the opinion the lead scare is BS.

As proof. I'm 79 and I'm sure most all of you have relatives or know people in this age bracket.

Through out most of my life I, and everyone else near my age, have lived in and around lead.
    Our houses were painted with lead paint. Some older houses used lead water pipe and the later houses used lead on the copper water pipes.
    Many/most of our toys were cast lead, or painted with lead paint. "Tin soldiers" were actually lead.
    The chances are what a baby/small child chewed on was lead or painted with lead paint.

The auto gas had lead mixed in.

In short, lead was everywhere in and around us from the day we were born and much of our lives.

For many years I/we shot lead bullets in poorly ventilated indoor ranges.
    For even more years I've cast and shot lead bullets, and still shoot lead, although I'm too lazy to cast any more.

Quite simple, If lead was a very small fraction as bad as it's made out to be none of us would have made it through our 25th birthday.
    There just wouldn't be anyone alive from my generation.

shakiesam, NCTJ, Caver 60 and 15 others like this.
  13. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

I have got away from uncoated lead. The new coatings make shooting lead a lot less smoky and seem to help keep the barrel cleaner.

SkipW likes this.
  14. JDSTG58

JDSTG58

I cast my own, so 99% of what I shoot is lead from wheel weights. My targets go on large 3 foot blocks of firewood. Once a year I split and burn it to get my lead back. Reuse the lead over and over.

NCTJ, mj9mm, gamecocks and 2 others like this.
  15. SkipW

SkipW

By trade I have always worked in Emergency Rooms. I have never seen a person with lead poison , besides bullet holes, come into a ER where I was working. I am 60. Lived around lead paint, dust, gas and bullets most of my life. Never seen one person sick from lead.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  16. crockett

crockett

Didn't you write just recently that you throw in 9 prescription pills every day? Lead poisoning is not about instant death but many diseases, that will impact your quality of life and shorten the lifespan for many.

"Lead is believed to result in 0.6% of the world's disease burden."

Just one study out of many: http://www.annualreviews.org/doi/10.1146/annurev.med.55.091902.103653

checkyoursix likes this.
  17. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

BS or not it's certainly stupid not to take precautions to prevent introducing any more lead into your bloodstream than necessary. Once in your body it never leaves so doing simple things like washing your hands after handling lead or not melting it in a unventilated room just makes for common sense.

18. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

Lead isn't good for you and anyone who spends a lot of time around shooting and guns should get their heavy metals checked periodically. Lead is REALLY bad for infants and children, so if you reload, keep all that crap away from the kids (at least the spent shells and the tumbling stuff).

The really bad news is of the stuff being spewed out the end of the barrel with each bullet, lead isn't the worst. There are other compounds that are really aggressive carcinogens, great news right?

Cambo, SkipW and checkyoursix like this.
  19. JDSTG58

JDSTG58

Lead isn't so bad for you, the Romans used it to season their wine.made it taste better if you simmered the wine in a lead pot. And they did ok........ well except for the insanity thing. But Nero and Caligula seemed to enjoy it.

20. vart

vart

I cast my own bullets and reload. I bought special wipes to use on my hands when I'm done. Been casting/reloading for only a couple of years and just bought the wipes last month. Went to the doc yesterday for a routine physical and made sure they will test for lead.

SkipW and WeeWilly like this.