close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What is your POA/POI for Glock 17? Meprolight help

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by tggt05, Jul 27, 2006.

Tags:
  1. tggt05

tggt05

Hi all,

Just installed some 10224 Meprolight's on a Glock 17 (the sights have one small dash with a large dash below them - is that right?).

I just came back from shooting and at 25m (22 yards) and 50m (45 yards) my POI is quite high. I am shooting 124gr American Eagle FMJRN

I didn't get a chance to shoot closer.
    But, at the above distances my POI is about 3" high at 25m then 6" higher at 50m; I have to do 6 o'clock and sub 6'oclock hold at these distances.

Is this normal? (I ask because I was expecting them to be much lower).

2. tantrix

tantrix J'aimeLouisiane

Handguns used for self defense are supposed to be zeroed in at 15 yards max. As long as you can shoot good groups at that distance don't sweat it. Fixed sights are for close quarters work anyway, if you want to shoot at 22 yards or longer adjustable sights are what you are going to need.

Next time, shoot at 15 yards or closer and your groups should be much tighter. If they aren't, then there is definitely something wrong.

3. PzGren

PzGren

Small dash over large dash is the 6.9mm rear sight height for .45 ACP and 10mm Glocks. It should shift your POI about 2 inches at 25 m for a 9/357/40/45GAP.

4. Glocks&Ducs

Glocks&Ducs

Are you talking specifically about Meprolights? Different companies use different marks to denote which sight is what size. And according to the part number, those are the correct sights for the G17.

5. tggt05

tggt05

Going to go to the range again on Saturday :)
    Will setup some 15yard targets and see how it is.

6. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur CLM Millennium Member

I bet there are some cops in North Hollywood that would not agree.

Any sight, fixed or adjustable, that is sighted in correctly, will work at any distance.

Effective range is decided by the shooter's skill level.
    :)

:patriot:

7. Desertscout

Desertscout CLM Millennium Member

And where did you hear that? Handguns for self-defense are "supposed" to be sighted in at whatever distance the shooter wants them to be and it has been my experience that most fixed sights are pretty close at 25 yards. Normally, 25 yards would be the second time that the bullet crosses LOS which would make your POI slightly high at 15 yards.
    To answer the original posters question, POI and POA for my G17 is about the same at 25 yds. and hits 9" below POA at 100 yards with fixed sights.
    Adjustable sights are handy when using different weight bullets and shooting at longer distances but that's about it.

8. RandySmith

RandySmith

The part number of the sight is right for the model 17 but the lines you describe indicate the next higher sight size.

25m is closer to 27 yards and 50m is closer 55 yards.

Changing the fixed sights to the next higher or lower in the series will move the bullet impact about 3" at 25 yards. If you have the next higher sight size (call them +1), that would be about right.

Given that you most likely have the higher sights installed, yes. OF course, different ammo will change the POI somewhat too.

Glock handguns are 'zeroed' at 25 yards with the standard factory height rear sights.

Randy

9. tggt05

tggt05

I am so confused...

I ordered a set of Meprolight Night Sights and they arrived (I have them installed) the number was correct 2224, but they look so high and have the two dashes (short above large).

Is is possible the wrong sight got put inside the wrong package?

If anyone has a set of night sights (Mepro's) please check the dashes and tell me if they are as I described.

10. RandySmith

RandySmith

I have been stocking/selling/installing meps for several years and I have them on all but a couple of my glocks. I am familiar with their appearance.

I have yet to see one that isn't marked the same way as the glock factory sights. In fact, this is how I tell them apart once they have been removed from the large plastic package and placed in my parts box.

6.5mm sights (for the model 17) have a single long line on the left side.

6.9mm sights (or +1's) have a long line with a short line above on the left side.

Randy

11. PzGren

PzGren

While I have some older Meps that aren't marked, all Meps and Trijicons that are marked use the Glock marking to the same effect.

Short dash over long dash is responsible for the higher POI than the POA on a 9mm, which is about 2", not 3" according the the Glock manual.

12. tantrix

tantrix J'aimeLouisiane

Civilians aren't cops. If you are shooting at someone farther than 15 yards you can bet the courts will nail you to the wall for not retreating. You can also bet that they'll say if someone is 25 yards away you have no business shooting at them in self-defense. Keep that in mind when a prosecutor asks why you were shooting instead of seeking safety when the guy was that far away. There will be no excuse when the prosecutor walks out 25 yards to the other end of the courtroom and yells back to the jury "THIS was the distance between the defendant and the victim when they were shot." Watch the look on the jury's faces when they see how far 25 yards is and you were firing shots. They won't agree you were in danger at that distance.

Most self-defense shootings occur within 7 yards for a reason.

For cops this is a little different, but cops and civilians aren't treated the same in the courts when involved in shootings. Everyone knows that.

13. Desertscout

In the first place, YOU are the only one that has said anything about "self-defense" guns. How do you know that guy doesn't use his Glock for hunting or long-range practice of other sorts? I do. Don't try to make something out of this thread that it wasn't intended to be.

In the 2nd place, you're dead wrong about the distance thing and the courts. If your assailant has the ability, opportunity and intent to inflict serious bodily injury or kill you, it doesn't matter the distance. If he's got a knife, then you are certainly not justified in shooting a 25 yards but what if he has a rifle and you have no place to go? Personally, I like to know what my guns can do at long-range just in case I need to use them for something else.

You edited yours so I'll edit mine.
    You said MOST SD shootings happen at 7 yards. Fact is, most happen closer than that but the key word is here is MOST. MOST of us will never use our guns at all in SD but SOME of us may have the occassion to use it farther than that.

14. tantrix

tantrix J'aimeLouisiane

Ok, so if it's indeed a self-defense weapon you're sticking to your belief that at 25 yards someone is a threat? I hope you never have to persuade a jury of that one. Even if he has a gun, at 25 yards you should be looking for cover not getting into a gunfight. If he has a rifle and you have no place to go, then you should choose your surroundings a little more carefully.

Quit worrying yourself over getting shot at by a man with a rifle at 25 yards with no place to go...you're going to have a heart attack in your 30's.:supergrin:

I guess some people are just paranoid...

15. Desertscout

I'm not the least bit worried about it, friend. In the off chance that I should ever need to use that capability, I know that I can hit a man 100 times out of 100 at 100 yards with most of my Glocks without any problem. But since I use it for hunting quite a bit, I also know that I can a hit a jackrabbit at 65 yards so why should I be worried?

16. gary newport

gary newport

On-topic, it has been established that the OP has the Meprolight equivalent of 6.9 mm sights which are correct for the G21 but NOT correct for the G17. These sights will cause the G17 to print high at 25 yards. The OP needs to obtain the correct REAR Mepro sight, if possible, or to change to a set with the single bar on the side of the rear.

Off-topic, an argument about the correct sight-in distance for a DEFENSIVE handgun has been introduced (even though the OP did NOT say that his handgun was purely for defensive uses). 25 yards has long been a standard distance for determining handgun (or load) accuracy. If the OP wants to shoot his G17 in GSSF competition, he will engage targets out to 25 yards. If he uses his G17 in IDPA competition, he may need to engage targets at up to 35 yards. If he were to use his G17 in PPC, he would need to engage targets at 50 yards. If he needs to use his G17 to defend his life, NO ONE can say with certainty that he will NOT need to engage a target at 25 yards. (This is likely the reason that IDPA says MOST stages should require shooting at 15 yards or less, but that OCCASIONAL targets out to 35 yards are encouraged.)

I like my handguns sighted in at 25 yards. When so sighted in, they do just fine at shorter distances.

17. Desertscout

The OP should also be able to get away with just changing his rear sight to the correct one as the front should be the same height providing it is also meprolight.

18. gary newport

gary newport

Yep, as I pointed out. I haven't seen Mepro rears for sale separately, but I do recall that Brownell's offers Mepro fronts, so it wouild be worth checking. However, it would be wise to bear in mind what Desert said about getting a Mepro rear; Meprolight sights are not exactly the same height as stock Glock or some other aftermarket sights.

19. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur CLM Millennium Member

tanrix, I don't know where you got this idea, but you really should re-think it.

If a prosecutor told you that, he doesn't know what he's talking about and most any firearms person should be able to make him look stupid in court.

If I decided to shoot you at 50 yards, or even 100 yards, you'd be in grave danger. And all skill aside, a single 'lucky' shot can kill you, we lost a state trooper here in Minnesota just that way a few years ago. IIRC, he was about 30 yards away from the shooter, and in the dark.

Also, what if someone else (like your spouse or child?) is the target of a would be killer and they are easily within his '15 yard kill zone' but you are 30 or more yards away? You're telling me you wouldn't shoot because you'd be in trouble in court? Such a shooting would be easy to justify, but very hard to make if you haven't trained at any more than 15 yards.

I went to the range to day and got a little video:
    Click here to watch 8-inch-plates-at-50-yards
    Click here to watch 8-inch-plates-at-50-yards---2

:patriot:

20. Desertscout

All that aside, it's just plain fun to see what you can do with ANY gun at longer-than-normal ranges. Handguns can be quite accurate WAY past 100 yards.