What is your most embarrassing moment with a firearm?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by ccbricker, Mar 9, 2010.

1. ccbricker

ccbricker

Seeing the post of the accidental discharge in the classroom reminds me that no one is perfect and it is very easy to have a embarrassing moment with a weapon. I have a couple:

The first happened with my Grandfather who was the local police chief and owned a Gun Shop. When I was 10-12 years old he would take me shooting at a farm pond with blocks of 2x4 wood as targets floating in the pond (please no flames about ricochets, it was a long time ago). Using the hood of his cruiser and a sandbag as a rest I was deadly accurate (in my head) until the day I tried to get a block resting against the bank nearest the car. Aiming to low, I placed a nice deep crease in the top of the fender of his new Galaxy 500 Police Cruiser.:dunno: There were several of his friends with us that day and they all had a big laugh at my expense.

The second was during my LEO days. Three of us were serving a warrant on a mobile home resident that was know to be a problem. I failed to secure my SW 5906 in it's shoulder holster and when I ran up the outside steps my pistol fell out of it's holster, landed on the rickety wood deck and fell through a hole into the mud underneath.:crying: The other two officers were laughing so hard they could barely knock on the door and laughed even harder when I had to crawl under that deck to get my weapon! Lesson learned. Always snap your thumb break strap.

Ok..I got that off my chest. This is better than therapy!

2. bac1023

bac1023

I guess having a bunch of people watching me shoot my Desert Eagle and getting hit square in the forehead with a hot 50AE case. :embarassed:

The DE ejects them fast and hard too. :shocked:

I could see the spot where it hit for over a week. :rofl:

[​IMG]

Its funny now, but at the time, not so much.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2010

3. Free Radical

Free Radical Miembro Antiguo CLM

Oh, I guess bringing 10mm. mags for a .45ACP pistol to the range might be kinda embarrassing.

4. DEADLYACCURATE

DEADLYACCURATE Senior Member

:rofl:

5. 750SpiritRdr

750SpiritRdr

Shooting my dads(now mine) Super Blackhawk 44mag when i was a little turd and it smacking me i the head a cutting my nose open with the recoil.
    I love this gun.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. ScrapMetal

ScrapMetal

Firing 180 gr hunting ammo out of my M1 Garand at a range with a bunch of older Garand savvy gents. New op rod and 4 guys calling me a complete idiot made me research heavily on all new firearms purchases.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  7. bac1023

bac1023

Ouch! :shocked:

8. JK-linux

JK-linux

A Raven .25 AUTO through the floor while talking on the phone to a girlfriend years ago. I told her the noise was the wind blowing the door shut. Scary, embarrassing... and the last time ever I fired that thing. Sold it the next day.

9. wally05

wally05

Ah yes... you need that adjustable gas plug. :) I only shoot surplus through mine... the plug is just so annoying.

10. LarryD1130

LarryD1130

What made the gun go off?

11. h2opolo150

h2opolo150

Shootin a Marlin .22 m1 carbine replica, forgot to close the feed tube and as soon as I brought the rifle down bunch of cops got to watch my ammo roll away under a deck where I then had to go and get it.

My brother on the other hand, decided to shoot a BB gun at a metal sign because he could, he hasn't shot a BB gun since. Appearantly a BB ricochet into the groin doesn't feel to good.

:rofl::uglylol::kilt::animlol:This is how I looked

12. BIGGUNS911

BIGGUNS911

Drawing gun on range full of firearms instructors and having it slip out of my hand. It was one of the loudest things I have heard on the range.:wow: I did the right thing and let it hit the ground but ***** that was bad.:faint:

13. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

Putting a 9mm mag in my 229 with the .40 Bar Sto in it... and pulling the trigger.

Too bad I didn't shoot it through the chronograph. :supergrin:

14. Boats

Boats Not Assimilated

It's a toss-up between the moment I realized I despised my four month old HK USP45c and felt like a noob sucker for the first time ever regarding a gun purchase, and the time before the internet when I had to take a Beretta 92FS to the gunsmith as bag of parts on my first attempted detail strip of one.

15. moeman

moeman

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    the two worst sounds are click when you expect a bang and bang when you expect a click...

I fall into category two :(

I got a Walther P1 police trade and at the range I shot it poorly... My range buddy and shoot until the slide locks back and then drop the mag so the other guy can shoot he same gun next. We don't remember who shot the Walther last.

I get home and was disappointed at my accuracy w/ my Walther (ex German police gun)...I'm home alone w/ the 3 dogs, wife is out.

I get the Walther out to check out it's trigger , no mag in the gun. I keep pulling back the trigger to find out where the slack lets up--the sites were very well silhouetted by my nice 50" TV. Pull back one time time to find out where the trigger breaks and then

Boom! WWB in the house is friggen loud!

OMG! I look around to make sure the dogs are OK, they are ...

My TV was a projection and there is a hole in the screen that was so perfectly round you would think I used a precision drill bit. The back of the TV has a LARGE hole and the oak paneling on the wall behind it has another perfect hole. My luck is crappy and that held here-- I shot thru power wires in the wall and the dry wall on the opposite walk is bulged out but not broken. BUMMER!

I call the TV's service center the next day and ask if they can replace the Fresnel screen. They ask my why--"is it cracked"?

I say "not cracked actually a hole is in it less than a diameter of a dime"

Looooonnnnggg Paaauuusssse:

"Sir, did you shoot yor TV?!"

"mmmmm yes..How did you know?..."

"We a couple of those a month, yes, we can fix it"

When they came out to fix it they told me about a "frequent flyer" customer who shoots his TV several times a year when the Lakers lose... I felt a little better...

Moral of the story: LOOK DOWN THE PIPE EVEN WHEN THERE IS NO MAG IN THE GUN!

I still can't explain how the slide can be racked open when shooting a mag at a time and have a round in the chamber. Learn from me! Look! Don't be lazy!

Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
  16. KCNUKE

KCNUKE

I went to the range with my brand new Sig 229 and forgot to take anything with me.(including: ammo, targets, magazines, gun) yeah everything.

17. HollowPoint .45

HollowPoint .45 NRA Member

About 2 weeks after I started reloading I locked a Remington 700 .243 up with a bad reload. I had ran out of 58 grain VMAX bullets and substituted a 75 grain Speer TNT instead, problem was I forgot that I needed to drop the powder charge. Resulted in a case rupture, case head seperation, blown primer not sure which or maybe all of these effectively locked the bolt tight. Tinkered aroung untill I got it to open, didnt hurt the rifle just my pride.

Borrowed a 9mm 1911 from my dad to shoot a little informal match at the local fish & game club. They required factory loaded ammo and all my .45 ACP was reloads. So I bought a couple hundred rounds of cheap 9mm and borrowed his pistol (I didnt own a 9mm at the time) Showed up to the shoot with a Springfield 1911 in 9mm 250 rounds of Blazer brass and 3 Chip McCormic .45 ACP mags. Oops.

Went rabbit hunting with a friend grabbed a 20 ga shotgun and a box of 12 ga shells. To make matters worse he was hunting with a 16 ga. So I couldnt even bum a few shells. The dogs sure sounded nice that morning though.

18. KevinFACE

KevinFACE

Everytime I get tagged in the forehead with .45 ACP shells out of my G21 I feel pretty retarded, I dunno why it happens... my head isn't THAT big. :(

19. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

Same thing happened to me last week when I first shot my Colt 1911 WWI 1918 reproduction. Brimmed ball caps help prevent brass flying down your glasses too. :)

20. oldnoob

oldnoob

I was shooting my Beretta Neos one day. I finish the last box of ammo with 1 loose round reminding. I don't know what was I thinking, but I looked at my Neos (with slide open/locked back) and put that round direct into the chamber, than push the slide release.

I'm so glade at lease I follow the number 1 gun safe rule: "Always point the gun at a safety direction." But when that extractor slammed into 22lr and trigger it flying, I would forever remember why it's call "Rimfire".

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 10, 2010