What is your logic to tipping?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Al Czervik, Oct 21, 2015.

1. Al Czervik

Al Czervik

Tipping threads on GT are always fun. But, they always beg the question....when/why?

Why does the guy filling the growler get tipped for merely adding liquid to a jug and may be the manager making a nice salary, but I never see anyone tip the guy behind the meat slicer/meat counter/fish counter. I have also never noticed anyone ask, hey do you make minimum wage? Should I tip you? They guy boning and filleting fish is doing more work and much more specialized work in relation to filling a jug, not to mention all the carp he has to clean up...note that this is just a random example to get the conversation started.

So, what specific set of circumstances in your mind, justifies/mandates you leaving a tip? Or, is it merely fear of cheapskatery? Are you "lording," as is popular to assert here on GT? What drives some to have such anger towards others' choices they make with their own money? What say you?

2. plp

plp

A friend lived in New Jersey years ago and said around Christmas everyone started putting up tip jars, folks would walk in and leave an envelope in the jars. He said it is expected, and to pay with a check, so they know who gave what.

3. SRS

SRS

Two basic motivations drive my tipping either alone or in combination to varying degrees.

The first is convention. I don't think about the justice or logic about tipping a waiter or others who typically receive tips. I don't care if it's fair or unfair or simply an anachronism. It's a social custom to which I conform.

The second motivation is a desire for better service or exceptional service especially in a tipping gray area. I tend to tip more at restaurants that I frequent regardless of the service on any particular occasion. If I'm going to be at a hotel for several days, I'm probably going to tip very well to smooth the stay especially if I anticipate unusual requests, like, "hey, can you please go to the drug store and buy every over the counter cold and flu medicine you can for $50?" I don't lord it over people, but I find people are a lot more helpful when they know that they will be well compensated.

4. PBCounty

PBCounty

I specialize in bartenders / waitresses, tipping is an operating expense.

clancy and Bruce M like this.
  5. Adjuster

Adjuster

Anyone that is assumed to only be making a partial hourly wage because they are expected to receive tips as part of their compensation. That obviously includes bartenders and servers. The growler guy should definitely get a tip because I am assuming he is also a regular bartender and as standard industry making less than minimum wage. The people that prepare and bag your takeout should definitely get a tip because they are servers/waitstaff and as standard industry making less than minimum wage. Your meat slicer guy makes a regular hourly wage therefor no tip. Fine if you want to tip him or if he does something above and beyond for you but its not expected for him to receive a tip.

/

6. Diesel_Bomber

Diesel_Bomber

I go to a small town butcher, they'll give me roughly the same service regardless of whether I tip or not. Most of the time the guy cutting up my steaks is also the guy who's owned the place the last 30 years. Their cost of service is built into the price of the products, and I buy enough that we're on a first name basis. No tips.

On the flip side, I can call my favorite restaurant and make reservations. My favorite waitress will have my preferred beverage at my preferred table when I arrive. No wait for seating, just walk in and straight to my table. I make sure she is compensated for this.

If I can buy better service, frequently I will.

certifiedfunds likes this.
  7. SC Tiger

SC Tiger As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

I try to push right about middle of the side, kind of at the center of the abdomen. Any higher and it is hard to avoid my hands slipping, any lower and I can't get leverage. A cow is a damn big animal and is a ***** to tip over.

:rofl:

8. Cashgap

Cashgap

Best bang for my buck has been hotel check ins.

When I hand over my ID and credit card, I then slide them a folded $20 and say "This is for you. I appreciate everything you do to make this a great stay."

I'll get suites, bar and restaurant credits posted to the account, etc.

Reading about it online, one hotel pro said "I am encouraged to upgrade guests for special occasions. And when you give me $20, it's a special occasion!!!".

certifiedfunds likes this.
  9. fg17

fg17

Me to. I wouldn't even go out if I couldn't afford to tip well. Most bar tenders and waitstaff don't even make min wage. Heck I know a couple fill in bartenders, I don't think they get a wage at all. I do part time security work for a couple bars and a lot of the staff don't even pick up there last check when they quit because it's so little. It's all about the tips. Some are so cheap and they need to justify not tipping and some just haven't been educated on how tipping works.

clancy likes this.
  10. G23c

G23c

I tip as often as I can.

11. Detectorist

Detectorist

If I can't afford the tip, I can't afford the service. Simple.

Diesel_Bomber and certifiedfunds like this.
  12. ddbtoth

ddbtoth

13. Kalmah

Kalmah Supreme Member

14. Turn4811

Turn4811

I worked as a bartender when I was in college. I made minimum wage plus tips and would average $60 in tips weekdays and $105 Fri-Sun but I was always scheduled for 3 days a week with one of those days on the weekend. This job instilled the fact of good customer service in the service industry was appreciated. A 10% tip was considered good back then. I was making a little more than what my wife did her first year teaching and I worked part time.

I have worked all over the world. Almost everywhere else it is not expected to tip and in some countries it is considered rude. I see many jobs that didn't used to accept tips 30 to 40 years ago that now expect tips. The expectation of a tip by someone making a minimum wage not in food service, a porter, or valet is a bit unrealistic to me especially if they are making more than minimum wage (bartending is included in the food service group). I typically tip 20-30% for good service. It bugs me when I get a credit card receipt that lists 18%, 23%, & 30% suggested tipping amounts.

I recently went out to dinner with my wife and niece. It was what I consider a median restaurant where the entree ran $20-35. We ordered an appetizer with our drinks. When the drinks were served the waitress took our meal orders. Ten minutes go by and our entree's are served. I tried to ask the server what happened to our appetizer but 'no habala" (strike 1). As we were finishing our meal the waitress shows up for a tea refill and our appetizer. This is the first time we have seen her since she took our order (strike 2). I told her she could return the appetizer to the kitchen. She drops the check buy a few minutes latter without asking about a desert or saying anything. I initially put my credit card in the check folder. After about 10 minutes (strike 3) I pulled out my wallet and left $85 for the $82 bill. It was not that busy of a night so I know they were not overworked. On the way out I asked the hostess for the manager. He was not available so I let the hostess know the service was lacking and left my business card for the manager to give me a call about it. I have never heard from them (game forfeited). I can understand an off night but they had multiple chances. I will not be going back there again.

rhikdavis and Bruce M like this.
  15. Sporaticus

Sporaticus Aw sheet main

Tip the best I can.

16. Dr. Bill

Dr. Bill

The only place I go where a tip is apropos is a restaurant. Once or twice a year a hospital parking valet (who gets $2 and they're thrilled).

I go by the 'do unto others' rule, which usually works out to 20% and a little more to round things off for math's sake. So on a $18.88 lunch bill (as my wife & I had today) I left a $4 tip.

[​IMG]

17. 686Owner

686Owner NRA Life Member

Thinking about going to a local place that has forbidden tipping. I hope it catches on!

G-34 likes this.
  18. Tackle

Tackle

I've known many people waitress/waiter roles. Never were they paid under minimum wage before tips. Maybe it's only my state that has to pay it but I lol everytime someone on a forum says "tip well, they only make $2 an hr". I know it's bs. The ones I've asked make $15-30/hr after tips.

Good service = good tip. Bad service = minimal. Ive never not tipped for poor service, I'd feel like cheapskate.

19. G29Reload

G29Reload Tread Lightly

One of the things I do, that should be considered. When a tip IS due, however you decide that, its not just how much you tip, but WHAT you tip.

I try to leave all tips in CASH. Yes if its a big tab, I put it on the credit card. But if it all possible, I try to pay the entire tab plus tip in cash. For one thing, once I've decided to leave, I don't like being delayed, looking around for a server who may have disappeared in the back, or waiting for them to process the card. If I have cash, I leave it and scoot. At times this ability is priceless.

Or, depending on the amount, I pay the exact amount due, without tip, on the credit card, and in the tip spot, write TABLE. Then leave the tip in cash. Always try to leave the tip in cash.

Yes, the servers are supposed to report tips. I'm sure some do, some don't, some only put down part of what they get as reported income. For someone working hard, cash disappears in their pocket and no government has to be involved. Cash is today and NOW, not waiting for the end of day or end of week settle up when the server might finally get credit card tips. Servers and bartenders have it hard enough. If I can help them disappear some unreported income, I love to help them out. Its a direct shortcut and I'm happy to help them out.

No one dislikes cash. Everyone loves it. So its not just the amount. Same for my girl who cuts my hair. When she worked at the chain haircut place, I didn't bother because it was corporate. I just stuck all of it on my CC. When she struck out on her own and went to work in a small one-off shop, more of an independent contractor deal where it all went direct to her, I pay the whole tab plus tip in cash. Added benefit of her as small business person not having to absorb credit card merchant fees.

Cash. It rules. Carry extra.

ETA: and as if that weren't enough, it helps YOU out. One less transaction where your card could become compromised, your card double swiped, the numbers copied down, etc. Yeah the CC company will usually back you up and the loss potential is limited, but why even have the hassle if you can reduce exposure?

Diesel_Bomber and Bruce M like this.