close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What is your "firearm pet-peeve"?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Jade Falcon, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon WTF EREN?!

For me, it has to be auto cartridges chambered in revolvers. I mean, really? Is the evolution of the revolver and their cartridges over the past 100 years not perfected enough for you?

I've never held a revolver in, say, .38 Special, and thought "yes, I wish I had this in......9mm Auto!" That's just really stupid. What can't I do with a hot-loaded .38 that I can do with a 9mm? Or even a .357 Magnum?

That being said.....I certainly wouldn't say "no" to a Charter Arms Pit Bull in .45 ACP if it landed on my doorstep. To me, that's a modern interpretation of the old .45 Colt of yesteryear. And I like that.

But all the rest of it is just stupid. 10mm Auto in a revolver? I love Rugers, but that's just a really stupid idea. Be a man....get a .41 Magnum.

So what about you? What is your pet peeve when it comes to firearms?

TX OMFS, Filhar1, vba and 2 others like this.
  2. Cambo

Cambo

1. Any gun that is difficult to field strip.

2. Any gun that comes with only 1 magazine. 4!!!! I want to see 4!!!! Even it if means paying more.

3. Any gun company that announces a product, and then doesn't deliver it. Completely unacceptable.

4. Any gun company participating in gun control efforts. We all know how I feel about the father of the 10rd magazine limit, Bill Ruger.

3. Kentucky Shooter

Kentucky Shooter NRA Life Member

A scope mounted incorrectly to the point it has canted cross hairs.

See through mounts.

Sometimes scopes work on a lever action for me and sometimes they dont. If I have to raise my face off the stock to see through the scope, thats a definite pet peeve.

I dont mind used guns, with signs of honest day to day wear. But I dont like abused guns and dont like "bubba'd" guns unless bubba knew what he was doing.

vikingsoftpaw, Cambo and Jade Falcon like this.
  4. Bish1309

Bish1309

There are just too many more that I want in relation to the storage capacity of my safes.

5. hogship

hogship Patriot Extraordinaire

6. Alabusa

Alabusa

A high dollar weapon with bargain basement optics.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

7. Diesel McBadass

Diesel McBadass Tactically Epic

The "i need a revolver cause racking a slide is hard" nonsense

finger grooves

8. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon WTF EREN?!

I want to add: single-stack versions of full sized Semi-Autos.

I've never held a full size gun and thought "yes, that's right....I want LESS rounds in this pistol!"

I can't understand why anyone would sacrifice firepower for convenience of carry. Is carrying a single-stack Glock 43 REALLY worth giving up 4 additional rounds (or more with a mag extension) that you could get with a Glock 26?

I used to carry a Glock 22 when I had my CWP. I never held that in my hand and thought "yep, I want less rounds in this carry gun". With a spare mag in my pocket, I had 31 rounds of .40 firepower.

It's heavier? Oh well....I'll live.

TX OMFS, Filhar1, Glockwise and 4 others like this.
  9. Dr. Poontang

Dr. Poontang

I can't believe nobody has said it yet.

Here it comes:

PIGNOSE!!!

DKSmith45 and Bish1309 like this.
  10. Pwhfirefighter

Pwhfirefighter

That acquiring a new firearm is currently not in my budget. :(

Filhar1, gp23, mc1911 and 7 others like this.
  11. KUETSA

KUETSA

Being swept by a muzzle . . . whether it is loaded, or not.

12. clawdaddy56

clawdaddy56

13. Scott3670

Scott3670

I abhor the entire concept of micro pistols. Honestly, the idea of carrying a gun that would fit inside my pocket is ridiculous.

14. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon WTF EREN?!

Speaking only for myself, the only use I see for it is late-night runs to the store, when you don't want to get dressed in anything other than sweats or PJ bottoms and a sweatshirt. For me, the 642 that I had was comforting in my pocket, and it was the right weight.

15. KUETSA

KUETSA

Ha - late night runs to the store are when I most heavily dress for battle - depends what kinda war zone you live in I guess. That being said, a 5" 1911 at 10:30 IWB in jeans with a loose sleevless T-shirt is standard summer stuff for me. Could probably hide a sub-machine gun under a sweatshirt . . . not that a sub-machine gun is a legal thing . . .at least around here. (Could be fun though - in a more free world)

Jade Falcon likes this.
  16. Kifaru

Kifaru

People who own modern handguns with modern safety features but insist on carrying on an empty chamber.

17. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

So many firearms, so little money!

18. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

I’d have to strongly disagree with you on the point that revolver cartridges have been perfected. In fact, quite the opposite. Most revolver rounds make inefficient use of space, due to being made longer for the sole purpose of not being able to be chambered in their less powered counter parts, ie so a .357 doesn’t fit in a gun only able to handle .38 special.

Consider that the 9x23 is ballistically equivalent to the .357 Magnum (or 9x33R), yet is 30% shorter.

The other issue with the longer case is that it could lead to ejection issues. Most revolvers don’t have an ejector rod long enough to fully eject a .357 or even a .38 special case. Shorter cases are easier to load and unload. In fact, before the move to 9mm, most competitive revolver shooters used to use .38 long Colt cases for their competition loads for this very reason.

Consider this, J Frames today are made on a .357 size frame, even the 38s. A dedicated 9mm framed J frame could be a centimeter shorter overall.

That being said, using a rimless round in a revolver isn’t a perfect solution. However, if there was still a market, they could surely make a better revolver round.

PRE-K, SevenSixtyTwo and Jade Falcon like this.
  19. BradD

BradD

Yeah, I don't get that one, either. I've been carrying a G23 for years, plus spare mag or two on the other side.

It's not as if the G26 is 3 in. thick and the G43 is 1/2 in. thick. The latter is less than 3/16 in. thinner. I'm not giving up four rounds for that!

MO Fugga, cousbud and Jade Falcon like this.
  20. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

I doubt people think, gee I want less rounds. I think it’s more like, we’ll id rather have a gun than no gun. Personally, my 43 only gets about 10% Carry time, but when it does, a bigger gun is simply a no go.

In my experience, if I have my 43, a 26 simply wouldn’t do. However, any time I could use a 26, I find I could with little more effort do a 19. A 19 as often as possible, and a 43 when needed, makes a quite versatile combination.