GlockTalk Forum banner

What is your education level?

41 - 60 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
11,606 Posts
Didn't the democrats call Trump supporters deplorables?
Actually, it was Hillary Clinton. Go read her masters thesis which she had suppressed for years. When you read it, you will come to a page with a question mark. She was describing the Chicago mayor ( a Democrat) as fascist. Mayor Daley's supporters were her original deplorables. He organized them just like her god Sol Alinsky was advocating that poor people organize themselves.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
This is another topic that comes up quite frequently on Glock Talk.

Mind you, I am not complaining. I am merely pointing out that it is a popular question.

This topic is also why I lost all respect for the former member known as The Rabbi.

Many years ago, while he was still active on this forum, he and I engaged in a conversation that turned ugly.

His position was that the "BEST WAY" to become successful and have a rewarding career was to get a STEM* degree at a University or College. That opinion seemed to be heavily influenced by his personal history, his wife's history and the history of his acquaintances.

At some point in the discussion his concept of "best" switched to "only".

Some of you old timers might recall that Rabbi could be the nicest guy in the world. And he could also be the most belligerent, bullheaded, cantankerous cuss you could ever know. If he was convinced his opinion was the "holy grail" he would dig in his heels and no amount of facts or logic could dissuade him. He would refuse to admit that he was wrong. And that was when he would resort to "stalking" and "name calling". He just would not let the subject go even after several others came to my defense and tried to explain to him that we could both be correct. It got to the point that every time I posted on any topic, he would drop by to call me an idiot, then retreat without adding anything substantive to the current discussion.

[Edited to add: I am not the only member of this forum who witnessed and fell victim to this pattern of his behavior.]

I never said his opinion was completely without merit. I merely tried to point out that there were other options.

For example:
- Many trades people do not have an undergraduate or post-graduate degree awarded by what is commonly called a University or College. Yet they are quite successful by anyone's standard.
- Many trades people receive their training via an apprenticeship program.
- Many trades people receive training at Trade Schools and/or Technical Training Institutes.
- Many trades people receive training via "On-the-Job-Training".

The straw that broke the camel's back though was when I said that the world was full of successful people who had University or College degrees in areas "other than" STEM*.

I will never forget when he responded to me by saying, "I (Rabbi) can't believe that I (Rabbi) am having to explain this to you (Mister Clean). How stupid can you (Mister Clean) be?"

:cheers:

* STEM = Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I have an associates degree in Air conditioning and refrigeration.Also have 2 years of college.I specialized in large centrifugals and made twice what my brother made with a masters degree.He can do physics in his head but has no common sense.I am a republican and vote for Trump because i am not retarded.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I voted high school graduate and not college because there was no option for trade school.

I hired on at an Asbestos abatement company at 19 and they paid for all my training. Worked there for 20 years and during that time I was also certified for lead abatement, mold remediation and licensed as a building inspector. All free of charge. I now have a desk job and make darn good money for doing very little. Best part is zero student loan debt.
Edited the poll to add trade and professional/technical schools.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
High School Drop Out, then US Army, GED, CLEP (College Level Examination Program) (Only allowed 30 Semester Hours), correspondence course, mostly University of Maryland, Weatherford Texas Jr College, Steilacoom Community College, Tacoma Community College, Saint Martins University (9 hours), University of Southern California (1 Semester, 12 hours) Finally got the residency requirements for a Associate in General Studies, at Central Texas College (Junior).
Continued with American Technological University in Killeen Tx, George Wallace Community College, and then residency at Troy State University for a Bachelor of Applied Science in Aviation Management.
I used none of that, made my living with a Pilot's certificate or a government job
Fully retarded, voted for the Trumpster.

·
l'Italia s'è desta
7,379 Posts
My wife would agree with that. She is often deeply concerned by the way I view and analyze things. And she's a psych nurse, so she should know.
One of the lawyers I worked with at the City was ALSO a psych nurse. Poor bugger...

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
My personal history? I consider myself to be a "LIFE LONG LEARNER".

During High School I was enrolled in AP Science, AP Mathematics, AP Social Science and AP Language Arts. I was also enrolled in Latin during grades 9 thru 12. I graduated one semester early from High School in order to begin attending college ASAP.

Soon after beginning college I was hired to work as an Analytical Chemist in the Research & Development laboratories at a company that manufactured products for Veterinarians and Farmers & Ranchers. After a few promotions I was responsible for training college graduates that were hired to work in my department. Note: I was still attending college at the time and had not graduated from college yet.

After ten years in R&D, I decided to go to work at a Department of Defense contractor. I was initially hired as a Chemical Engineer and after ten years left there as a Senior Process Engineer. The company credited me with my "life experiences" and provided the "On-the-Job-Training" to ensure that I was qualified for my later positions.

Due to my progression in my career path via OJT and my life experience, I put earning a bachelor degree on the back burner. Although I did not completely stop attending college - I went on the "27 year plan". In other words, I dialed back and started taking only one college course per semester. I did that for 27 years before I finally earned my first college degree.

After leaving the DoD contractor, I pursued a career in Information Technology and Telecommunications. I retired while I was in my 50's.

Are y'all familiar with the terms: vocation and avocation?

Your vocation = your job or career for pay.
Your avocation = your hobbies or interests for no pay.

Since I kept getting career advancement and promotions for doing paid work via my life skills and OJT . . . I decided to pursue a college degree based upon my avocations. In other words, I discovered that I did not need a degree in my field(s) of occupation to advance. Therefore, I pursued a college degree in a field that allowed me to explore my hobbies.

I had a VERY successful career as a Scientist and an Engineer.

I have a Bachelor of Fine Arts and a Master of Fine Arts (terminal) degree.

·
Galloglaich
455 Posts
Associates of Science Computer Science, Associates of Science Respiratory Therapy, Bachelor of Arts Criminal Justice, Master of Arts Public Administration. Thinking of getting my PhD in Interpretive underwater basketweaving with an emphasis on Moche funeral basketss.

41 - 60 of 153 Posts