close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What is your Dept policy on Tshirts

Discussion in 'Firefighter/EMS Talk' started by justfish, Jul 18, 2006.

1. justfish

justfish

We have recently gone to these snap-up nomex shirts. They look good and everything, but they are HOT. We have to wear them all day except for outside training and excercise. We can get out of them if we are bunkered out.
    I came from a dept where we wore t-shirts and man did it make a differnce in the summer. We had collar shirts for PR, preplans, ect. I dont think Joe Public gives a crap what we show up in. What do you think?
    I think it is unnessesary and a waste of $. It was like $75,000 for us to go to these from polos. Come the end of the year some equipment is going to sit til the next budget year. Curious what your dept views on t-shirts is?

2. nam02G

nam02G First throwing ax bullseye.

Official department policy of button up collared shirt. Semi-official policy is 'whatever your captain is wearing'. That's the one that gets followed.

3. D25

D25 The Quick

Our policy is no t-shirt until after 1800 hrs., unless it is hotter than 80 degrees outside, which is a rarity in my neck of the woods.

IMHO, if someone has the capacity to criticize my appearance in a t-shirt, then they also have the capacity to schedule a visit with their primary care provider. I do understand the desire to look sharp for such things as PR events, inspections, etc., but I think that dressing up like a cop is bad news.

4. faceplant

faceplant

The only one that cares what you look like when you come to help are the Chiefs in the Big House that sit in an air conditioned office. Being onscene in a hostile enviroment and looking like a cop is no fun. Give me a decent looking polo shirt anyday.

5. Glkster19

Glkster19

Our boss is pretty laid back about t-shirts. Generally, we wear polo's unbless it is warm, then we pretty much all wear them. I agree with tha above poster, if you care that I'm wearing a t-shirt then call your PCP. Some people are gung ho on the image issue, but most realize we work in the very warm weather some days and comfort is somewhat important to most of us.

6. FirNaTine

FirNaTine

Button up shirts are optional June 1 - August 31, previously they were madatory until heat index was above 86 degrees. The heat index rule applies outside of the above dates.

7. fyrman

fyrman

I come from a large metro area and we had to wear our $90.00 nomex button up uniforms at all times unless on the drill ground in full bunker gear or when coming from working out or bed. Our chief is more into image than anything else but when we started complaining to the City Counsel during bargaining that image was more important than the thousands of dollars we could save by wearing T-shirts except for business inspections, tours, or other special assignments, there was a sudden change of heart from the Chief and the shirts went bye bye. We saved over 5k dollars in the first year alone.

8. 00blkgt

00blkgt

We wear Haynes t shirts with a badge screen printed on the front pocket and our city's name across the back. We have embroidered polo and button up shirts for more formal occassions. I have to say that 99 percent of the time we are in our cotton t shirts.
    J

9. groverglock

groverglock Guns & Hoses

Our department policy is for the dark blue nomes shirt with badge be worn. We also have a golf shirt we can wear that has a sewn on badge. T-shirs are only to be worn when doing "hot dirty work or while working out".

As a captain in a rural station, my crew is always doing "hot dirty work or working out".

If we are going out to do PR work, we wear the more formal shirts, but most of the time we wear T-shirts.

10. akulahawk

akulahawk

Where I used to work, our official policy on T-Shirts was that we had to wear our uniforms from when we got on duty until 1900. After that, T-shirts were fine, but they MUST be blue and have either NO logos or have some sort of generic EMS logo or our Company Logo on it. As far as the uniform went, we could wear a jumpsuit or a two-piece uniform that looked similar to, but more tidy than the jumpsuit.

The issue uniform (in either "flavor") was NOT very comfortable. If the day got HOT, then we could go to the T-shirts. Hot was anything over 100 degrees.

11. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Sandwich!

My department issues t-shirts, polos and sweaters for winter wear. Policy says t-shirts in spring and summer, polo in the fall and sweater in the winter but I ignore that and wear the polo all year long. If it's cold enough to wear the sweater I'll put it on over the polo and take it off if I start sweating while I'm busting my hump.

I just think the t-shirts look like s**t for uniform wear.

12. aspartz

aspartz

You and I differ greatly. I think polos look just as bad (if not worse) than t-shirts. Polos are IMHO a yuppie affectation left over from the '80s. If you want a uniform -- button down, tie, badge and nomenclature. I was taught to never do anything 1/2way, and polos are just that -- 1/2 way.

ARS

13. hazmedic1085

hazmedic1085

We are supposed to wear polos or class b shirt until 20:00 unless we are doing strenuous training. But it depends on the Lt. and shift. Special operations personnel can wear long sleeve T-shirts all day.

14. oldstyle

oldstyle Jeep Pirate

justfish,
    You know Jax wears the Nomex too. They do look good but are very uncomfortable when its hot. T-shirts are allowed after 5 pm.

15. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Sandwich!

Hey, opinions are just that, opinions.

Wearing a real uniform shirt, tie, badge and "nomenclature" would be very impractical in EMS, we get dirty just like the firefighters do. I've had to change uniform shirts three times in one shift and cleaning and disinfecting badges, name plates and rank insignias would also be a real pain.

Due to our jobs we have to wear a uniform that is practical as well as comfortable. T-shirts fit that bill and Polo shirts do as well. I just happen to think polo shirts look more presentable than a t-shirt!

16. aspartz

aspartz

I run EMS also. One of my MAJOR disagreements with them is over the "uniform." Polos and cargo pants. No deviation is allowed. You cannot wear a button down or a t-shirt. At least now they pay us to be on call, so I'm not wearing this crap for free. Personally, I would prefer class "a"s and a belt pack for the BLS toys. Nope, not allowed. Only a grey polo and black pants with legs big enough for two.

ARS

17. akulahawk

akulahawk

Depending upon the circumstances, I think that ANY of these can be very appropriate and look "professional". About the only color shirt I do NOT like is the white one. They will look dirty VERY quickly. (No, I am not disparaging management...)

I think that the crew should wear the same style uniform, regardless of what it is. At least this way, everyone sees them "matching". Uniforms that don't match stick out like the proverbial sore thumb. I also think that a lot of the "professional" appearance of a crew has more to do with their attitude than uniform itself. I've seen two crews dressed in the same basic uniform... t-shirts and cargo pants. One crew looked professional because they carried themselves in that manner. The other crew looked sloppy because their attitude showed laziness.

I found that I don't like too much stuff hanging off of a belt. I've worked with folks that had EVERYHING on their belt and had tons of gear on them. The most "stuff" I carry with me is my steth, some gloves, my BP cuff, a flashlight, oral airways, a little tape and a couple of 4x4's all in my waist pack. On me I carry some shears and a folding knife. That's truly IT! If I have to carry anything else, my entire kit or the ambulance goes with me... :)

18. akulahawk

akulahawk

At least EVERYONE looks uniformly BAD!!!! :supergrin:

19. Charlie Fox

Charlie Fox

Our policy is the button up shirt from 0600-1800, then a polo or sweatshirt over the t-shirt. T-shirts are only authorized for "strenuous physical activity" or under something else. Makes us wonder why we spend all that money having our logos put on them!:upeyes:

20. Pa Glock guy

Pa Glock guy

For years we were issued button down shirts and had to wear them over our t shirts. We could wear the t shirts around the firehouse and at fires but had to to put the button down shirt on when going out to so PR programs, etc. Two years ago we were issued golf shirts to wear in place of the button down shirt. Most of the guys, including me like them. A little cooler than wearing 2 shirts in the summer. We can wear t shirts on night shifts. Frankly alot of the upper barss complained about the t shirts saying we didnt look profesional. I thought it was stupid.