Glock Talk banner

What is this part? (stupid question)

746 Views 5 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  Rusty Guns
I know this is a stupid question, but I am new to Glocks and really handguns in general.

What is the part with the arrow to it in this photo and what does it do?

When I push down on it it "snaps" down, then when I put the slide back on and rack it, it "resets".

Just curious, trying to learn.

Thanks!

See less
I know this is a stupid question, but I am new to Glocks and really handguns in general.

What is the part with the arrow to it in this photo and what does it do?

When I push down on it it "snaps" down, then when I put the slide back on and rack it, it "resets".

Just curious, trying to learn.

Thanks!
See more
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
16,885 Posts
Great, thanks!
Why does it snap down and then reset like that? Is it part of the trigger safety?
As it moves to the rear, it "drops" at a certain point, allowing the striker to move forward; it's the "drop" in the "drop safety "feature...(that term has nothing to do with the pistol being safe if dropped to the ground, it refers to a mechanical part and the function of that part)

Here's a good explanation, with pics, of how it all works; specifically, look at Fig. 3....

https://us.glock.com/technology/safe-action

if you slide the mouse on the images, they will acutally move, and you can see the mechanism working.

· Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As it moves to the rear, it "drops" at a certain point, allowing the striker to move forward; it's the "drop" in the "drop safety "feature...(that term has nothing to do with the pistol being safe if dropped to the ground, it refers to a mechanical part and the function of that part)

Here's a good explanation, with pics, of how it all works; specifically, look at Fig. 3....

https://us.glock.com/technology/safe-action

if you slide the mouse on the images, they will acutally move, and you can see the mechanism working.

Perfect, thank you so much!

· Registered
3,067 Posts
That is the first time I have seen that diagram.
I will save it where I can use it to easier explain how it works.
Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.