close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What is the wierdest thing/person you have ever encountered in the wilderness?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by smokin'gunz, Jul 8, 2003.

1. smokin'gunz

smokin'gunz Post Nomad

Reading a post asking about your wierdest experince got me thinking about this.

2. Claywms

Claywms

On a fishing trip at Buckhorn Lake in Ontario my brother and I were plugging a shoreline for bass in the early evening. Very quiet on the lake with no other boats in sight. We rounded a point and saw, about 30 yards away on the shore, a nude man and woman aparently about to go skinny dipping. I don't know who was more shocked, them or us. The woman sceamed and ran for the bushes....the guy just covered himself, smiled and waved. ;Q

3. KeyboardCowboy

KeyboardCowboy Pull my finger

Obviously the water was cold if he could cover himself AND wave....;P

4. Penman

Penman Goauche User

There was a long thread on this subject a while back, you might try a search. Lots of interesting stuff.

5. dieselguy

dieselguy

fishing on lake champlain about 5 years ago w/ my dad. we watched a mallard take of and fly real low over the water (almost touching) and then a splash and he was gone.
    Champy strikes again :)
    we figure it was a snapper or huge pike

6. Wayne02

Wayne02

Used to ride dirt bikes quite a bit up in the woods about 100 years ago. Before I had my drivers license my dad would take two or three of my friends and I up on a Friday afternoon and pick us up Sunday night. We would spend the weekend riding and ran into some strange characters up there.

One Friday night shortly after being dropped off we decided to go for a quick ride before bedding down for the night. It was dark out but one of our bikes had a headlight so we followed him. We turned into a dnr campground and spotted a huge bonfire. As we get closer we discover that it is a bunch of hippy's sitting around a fully engulfed burning VW bus. They were siting on the ground with legs crossed and singing some kind of song. We gave them a wide berth as we rode by. I went back the next day and the only thing not torched was a set of four chrome moon hubcaps.

Another time we were riding up a long steep logging road headed for the top. We had not seen any other humanoids or vehicles for miles. As we were almost to the summit we round a corner and walking down the middle of the road were two men. These guys were completely naked except for socks, boots and a walking stick. They each also had a bottle of water. We gave these guys a wide berth as well but they waved politely as we went by. Never saw any signs of a vehicle in the area.

And finally, climbing a logging road to the summit again. I was leading our group when we came around a corner to find a women with her pants pulled down taking a dump right in the middle of the road. She apparently thought there was no other people around as she seemed very shocked when we pulled up.

Ahhhh to be young again.....

Wayne

7. noway

noway

I posted on this subject awhile back and i saw a VW in the woods at least 3-4 miles from any natural trails or road.

the VW was shoot up, rusted and looked like it was in a total array of disaster. I still wonder what happen and how the car got that far into the woods.

8. lomfs24

lomfs24

My friend and I (Yes, I have friends) were bowhunting. We were walking in on a road for an evening hunt. We stopped at a place where the road makes about a 90 degree corner on a point. We stopped there to listen to the silence. We would usually stop there for about 15-30 minutes listening for bugles. If we didn't here any we would bugle to try to get an answer.
    Instead of a bugle we heard a four wheeler coming down the road towards us. I looked at my friend and neither one of us said a word. We both backed off the road about 10 yards and kneeled down by a tree. My friend was about 20 yards to my left. And we waited for the 4 wheeler. When he came in sight it was obvious by the cammo and bow strapped into the handlebars that he was a fellow bowhunter. As he made the corner and started down behind a bank I let out the most beautiful bugle you have ever heard. The motor instantly died and you could hear the tires skid to a stop. I stepped out in time to see him frantically trying to get his bow unstrapped from the handle bars.

I laughed out loud and asked him if he really thought a bull elk would bugle after he had just driven within 10 yards of him. He mumbled and stammered. Then I asked him what he really expected to see while riding the 4 wheeler around. He mumbled and stammered some more. Both my friend and I walked off laughing.

I really have no respect for people who hunt from an ATV and even less respect for a bowhunter that hunts from one.

9. MI10mm

MI10mm

The four wheeler in the above story reminded me of a "hunter" that I met while predator hunting. I was set up, in full camo, on a hillside with a remote controlled predator caller, using a "deer in distress" sound to call in coyotes. Well, I heard some noise in the woods and the sound of something coming towards the speaker on the caller. It turns out that a "great bowhunter" heard the sound and was stalking the wounded deer. This hunter even had an arrow knocked! LOL! I kept turning the sound on and off. As he lost interest, I'd play a bit of the sound for him and then he's crouch down and stalk his prey. I'd then shut it off as he'd get close to his prey. Well, he hunted the "deer" and continued right past me and then I left my stand. As I went down the trail, I found his bow case in the trail and his four wheeler abot 20 yards from the case. How's that for a strange thing coming to a call? ;f MI10mm

10. lomfs24

lomfs24

You never know what your call will bring in. Be ready to shoot the strangest of targets. That's a good story. I will have to remember that one.

11. Pistol Packin' Pete

Pistol Packin' Pete

Not too strange but my entire scout troop was backpacking in Lassen Volcanic NP one summer. A buddy and I were about 1/4 mile ahead (out of sight) of the main group. We rounded a corner and there were two topless chicks backpacking towards us. They covered up as best they could (which wasn't good enough :)). As they were about to pass us I asked one of them if they knew what time it was :cool: . She declined to answer even though I could clearly see a wrist watch on one of her hands. They must have put their shirts back on because the rest of the Troop missed out. We talked about that for the rest of the 50 miler.

12. vafish

vafish

I went deer hunting with a friend of my dads.

The guy had been deer hunting for close to 30 years and never shot a deer. (I think he just went up to his cabin to get away from his witch of a wife) I got up early the first morning to go out hunting and he handed me a skein of bright pink knitting yarn. He said it was so I could find my way back. I thought he wanted me to use it a trail markers. come to find out when he went hunting he tied the string to the door of his cabin, Walked out until he was at the end of the string and hunted for a little while, then he would follow the string back to his cabin.

The guy was also deathly afraid of bears breaking into his cabin, kept 2 propane lanterns burning all night long outside, and had a couple of holes in the walls and floor where he had ND's with his shotgun that he kept loaded for bear.

13. Clyde in CO

Clyde in CO LOL WUT?

14. Clyde in CO

Clyde in CO LOL WUT?

I think I've posted this before.......... aw screwit, here it goes again.

Camping with some friends in Pike National Forest. It was late and we had just put the fire out, getting ready to sack out.

I went off to take a leak, the only light was from the stars. After I had finished up (luckily) I saw movement in front of me.

A large white hound came trotting into view from the trees. He was looking right at me, and moving right toward me, about 10 yards away. In the starlight he looked like a ghost.

Scared the bejeezus outta me.

I turned, did a Jesse Owens back to camp.

The next day in the light I got a look at the camp about 50 yards down the road. Station wagon, young family with kids...... and a big white dog.

I was relieved that it wasn't a hell hound I saw.

15. jthuang

jthuang On The Jazz

June 1998, in the Lake District, England. Buddy and I were hiking up a mountain near Grasmere. We look down and were stunned to see a Harrier jet go zooming past us -- about 25-50 yards BELOW our resting spot. We were so close we could see the pilot's face. Wish I had been faster on the draw with my camera that day.

16. onemilmhz

onemilmhz Ten Ninety Five

More than likely you stumbled on to some one's old shooting spot. When I lived in Cali we had a spot similar to that with an old Toyota truck. We destroyed that thing!

17. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Lifetime Member Millennium Member

Guy I knew was kayaking around Catalina Island while at a summer camp there (CIMI, Catalina Island Marine Institute) in junior high, him, another guy and an instructor in his 20s. They paddled around past a cove and saw a yacht anchored and a Playboy beach shoot in progress. Apparently they were invited aboard, but the instructor knew he'd have lost his job (would have been worth it I think was his idea, but he apparently didn't chance it).

Needless to say, the guy I knew had stories for several years about what they saw. Don't know if it was true but he did produce an appropriately-timed issue of the magazine that was apparently shot there once.

Odd things happen when you kayak at sea eh?

I won't even get into weird stuff I've seen out there in the woods.

18. PaP

PaP

I was sitting in a tree stand several years back when a red tailed hawk lit in my tree about 2 or 3 feet above me. I moved and I'm sure who was the most startled the hawk or me.

19. Rebeldon

Rebeldon

On one fine winter morning, when I was whitetail hunting in Alabama, and the ground was covered with snow, I was walking to my deerstand just before the crack of dawn and I heard some rustling in the bushes. Out jumped a jake. It saw me and totally freaked. It paniced, and ran around and around in circles, not knowing where to go, until finally it ran right smack into the middle of a tree. It backed up and ran a zig-zagged path down the snow covered, unpaved road. The whole thing lasted about ten seconds. It was one of the funniest things I had ever seen.

20. D25

D25 The Quick

The cougar that I saw while I was bowhunting made the wildest noise that I've ever heard. That was damn near as scared as I've ever been.

The wierdest thing though happened while my dad and I were fishing in one of the mountain lakes here in Oregon (Odell Lake I think, but maybe Waldo or Crescent. It was about 15 years ago.) Anyhow, I was reeling in a Kokanee, and it was about 30 feet from the boat, when an osprey swooped down over the boat and grabbed the fish out of the water. It flew up several feet from the surface of the water and dropped the fish. My dad and I just stood there in the boat for a few seconds with our mouths wide open, and in true dad form, he hollered at me to keep reeling it in. It was the one that didn't get away!